The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2012, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Used Collings prices?

For mint used acoustics, I've heard that 25% off list is the rule of thumb. True?
Thanks!
Breedlove Ed Gerhard Exotic (Brazilian/Red Spruce)
Brad Goodman J-200 (Engelmann/Quilted Maple)
Taylor 326CE 8-string Baritone
1960s Guild M-20 (Nick Drake guitar)
Old 01-17-2012, 03:07 PM

That's maybe a bit high in today's used Collings market. Some will go for that, some will go lower.

Take a new Collings guitar that sells on the street at most dealers for, say $3400. Dealers usually knock 10% or so off the list price in their stores, so that would result in a list price of about $3740. 25% off of that would be $2805. From what I generally see, that guitar (in excellent/pristine condition) would probably be listed at around $2700 on one of the boards, and often the seller would get less than that. A used guitar dealer would be higher, of course. Certain options (1-3/4" nut, Adi bracing, etc.) might buoy the price a bit.

But, maybe things have changed...
Old 01-17-2012, 03:18 PM

I'LL TAKE IT!!! oh...nevermind
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s
Old 01-17-2012, 03:39 PM

Location: Along the beautiful shores of the Mississippi Gulf Coast

So is the thinking that a Collings, say OMcutaway, stock dressings (binding, surface, etc.), used, should go for about $2,700??
I'd be curious if anyone has any further thoughts on projected prices for used ones.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:47 PM

I'm not sure there's any rule of thumb. Each model has its usual selling point, depending on age, condition, and options.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:55 PM

Right - there is no rule of thumb per se. There are only trends and specific guitar sales to go by. I don't know what an OM-1 (a bit less) or OM-2 (a bit more) cutaway in "X" condition, "Y" years old, would be sold for these days. New, it's probably a street price of something like $3700-$3900 or so with no other options? The math that I mentioned goes from there, but that's also pretty much where it stops. There is no rule - make your deals, hold out for more or less, weight the pros/cons of buying from a dealer or an individual, the pros/cons of trading/consigning or selling yourself, and all that.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:22 PM

If you go to Elderly they will want mint prices even though the guitar has a big obvious crack on the back of it. And they won't disclose it until you point it out to them. After returning the guitar, someone bought it, I can only assume for the "mint price" since Elderly put it back up for the "mint price". I think that people are so desperate to get a Collings they will put up with a damaged guitar for "mint pricing"
Old 01-17-2012, 04:54 PM

From the ones I've been interested in 30% (or slightly more) is normal.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:09 PM

I bought all my Collings used, and seem to recall that I paid around $3,000 for the D2HA, and I think about the equivalent of $3,500 (??) for the D3. The D1 was a while ago and can't remember that far back. Hope that helps.

There is a Collings Forum where you with a Classified section which might provide more info on current market prices. Dealers tend to sell several hundred higher than street for sure. Say 10% to 15% higher.

Collings owner generally take REAL good care of their guitars, so there is some love premium involved sometimes. Hope you get one - seriously great guitars.
Collings OM2H Custom
Old 01-17-2012, 07:16 PM

Here's two, one new one used, same dealer.

http://www.elderly.com/vintage/names...-20U-13901.htm

http://www.elderly.com/new_instrumen...case--COLF.htm
Old 01-18-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egldriver View Post
If you go to Elderly they will want mint prices even though the guitar has a big obvious crack on the back of it. And they won't disclose it until you point it out to them. After returning the guitar, someone bought it, I can only assume for the "mint price" since Elderly put it back up for the "mint price". I think that people are so desperate to get a Collings they will put up with a damaged guitar for "mint pricing"
That doesn't sound good at all. There are lots of used Collings out there in excellent condition - no need to settle on one that's beat up.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
This is spot on and very informative. 30% or so off list is my experience as well.

BTW, I don't agree that dealers charge more for used guitars, in fact I've seen a lot more unrealistic asking prices from private sellers. I also don't see dealers trying to pass on paypal fees which is against the law in most states and against paypal rules..
Old 01-18-2012, 09:30 AM

dwalton

math is off

If 10% off creates a guitar of $3400 street... the original retail would be closer to $3774....
A retail price of $3740 would then be $ 3366 at 10% off;
but I get the idea.

I see Collings used going for a range of prices off original retail. Case by case.

I believe there is a trend at Elderly as to their descriptions, Not as accurate as in the past.

They also listed for a consignment sale one of my absolutely dead mint flawless showroom original condition instruments, complete with case candy and hang tags as "excellent"..

while also listing another instrument as excellent that had a gouge in the neck 1 1/4" wide and 1/8th deep and scratches and dings over the entire instrument.. and poorly set up.. saddle too high.. and dirty..as "excellent"
When I asked to have this guitar described over the phone it was called a "closet queen" , I ordered it based on that description.. no mention was made of anything else...when it showed up.. I found what I had described.

I pleaded my case and said I would never have ordered it if described correctly. They compromised and refunded the guitar plus half the shipping.
Not happy and I've been a customer for 30 years.

They also have a tendency to describe an instrument as in "excellent condition" except needs fret work crack in heel repaired and possible neck reset..or several repoaied cracks..... just as an example.

Again, this seems to be a recent trend.

Last edited by bohemian; 01-18-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:32 AM

I just bought a minty used Martin off a dealer. Saw one just like it for sale today from a private individual on the Martin forum for 10% more and it is less minty.
I too have noticed lots of private sellers trying to pass the paypal fee onto the buyer. That would be a dealbreaker for me. I see many private sellers of high end guitars, assuming close to zero depreciation on their new guitars. Maybe they can sell them for that but not to me.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburg325 View Post
For mint used acoustics, I've heard that 25% off list is the rule of thumb. True?
Thanks!

That sounds about right. Dealer sells new at List -10%, buys guitar back at -30% and resells at list -25%.

Private sale somewhere between 25-30% off list for mint.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion