The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntotoro View Post
Going back full-circle, that was the problem may people had. Powers said the bracing affected intonation... people said that was gobbledeegook and how could that be... Powers essentially replied "Well... that depends on how you define 'intonation'," and so it went.
Yes I see what you mean. If he'd just said, 'listen to how gorgeously tuneful these notes are, high up here' (which he successfully demonstrates, I think), maybe none of this flak would have come his way.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N+1 View Post
Yes I see what you mean. If he'd just said, 'listen to how gorgeously tuneful these notes are, high up here' (which he successfully demonstrates, I think), maybe none of this flak would have come his way.
Then the only arguments would have been people who like Taylors saying "Isn't it great how Andy is evolving the brand" and people who don't like them saying "Now they sound even worse."

Nick
Old 05-22-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N+1 View Post
Possibly not. In my experience (I've had several of my Taylors' necks adjusted to suit me perfectly) it's more likely to take about 20 minutes.
You are quite lucky... I live in the suburbs of the fourth largest city in the US. On the last Taylor I owned I needed a neck reset, the best time frame for getting a neck reset was going to be about a week due to the repair tech being backed up and that was going to be an hour's drive away... The nearest Guitar Center with authorized Taylor tech was backed up for almost two weeks.

But it's nice to know the operation itself is only 20 minutes.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 05-22-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post
You are quite lucky... I live in the suburbs of the fourth largest city in the US. On the last Taylor I owned I needed a neck reset, the best time frame for getting a neck reset was going to be about a week due to the repair tech being backed up and that was going to be an hour's drive away... The nearest Guitar Center with authorized Taylor tech was backed up for almost two weeks.
Well that is indeed bad luck, and I suspect it would put a different complexion on things if I were in a similar position.

I have the extreme good fortune to live relatively near the fabulous Riedys music shop in Blackburn, NW England. On every occasion so far the operation has been carried out not merely while I waited, but while I watched: it's a very entertaining 20 minutes.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:21 AM

OMG, I forced myself to watch the whole thing and was nearly an hour into it when I realized I could turn up the speed to 150%.

Andy is pretty annoying in a too much granola kind of way and Tony was sucking up big time. I'm sure it's very nice to be a friend of Taylor guitars.

I don't mean any of that to be interpreted in a negative way. We're talking about smart successful people who are passionate and darn good guitar players as well.

I love Taylor guitars, I just wish I turned it off by the ten minute mark.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:19 PM

I'm not criticizing this thread at all, but I'm glad this topic is finally getting boring. Seemed like it would go on forever.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:53 PM

I only posted the video because it had been missing for so long. No intention of bringing back any of the V-Class drama. Its a video, with a very talented luthier explaining his latest design. Not complicated or controversial.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:10 PM

I don’t have a dog in this fight, I’m never been a Taylor fan. Great guitars, they play nicely, and don’t have enough bass or depth for me. I hear way too much string noise and not enough guitar sound.

The V-braced Taylors get closer to sounding like a guitar I could enjoy playing than any other. If anyone can hear a “trade-off” of tone by going with the V bracing, they have a different standard for what a guitar should sound like. And that’s not a criticism, that’s why we have lots of choices.

Andy and Bob are like Martin and Taylor. They have different opinions on what makes a great sounding guitar.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion