The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-19-2018, 07:12 PM

Default A&L Ami Cedar vs. Spruce

I've tried an A&L Ami Cedar, and have been a little blown away by just how versatile this guitar is - even for a moderate strum/attack. Anyone prefer the cedar over the spruce? I ask, because I tried a few spruce-top Roadhouse models that were available... And they sounded inferior to the Cedar Ami.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 05-19-2018, 07:23 PM

I don't really prefer one over the other. I judge the guitar on how much I like how it sounds regardless of the type of top wood. Now that being said I used to have an old cedar topped Yamaki dread that sounded awesome. My current solid spruce top Sigma 000 also sounds awesome.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:44 PM

I've had both and each had it's own positive qualities. I did prefer the cedar, a bit warmer and maybe more responsive to finger picking.
Godin just seems to do a really great job with the cedar and cherry combo.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtime View Post
I've had both and each had it's own positive qualities. I did prefer the cedar, a bit warmer and maybe more responsive to finger picking.
Godin just seems to do a really great job with the cedar and cherry combo.
To me that combination of a solid cedar top with laminated cherry back and sides is where all of the various flattop guitar brands built by Godin - Seagull, Simon & Patrick , Norman and Art & Lutherie (A&L) - sound their best. I've never liked any spruce-topped Seagull or other Godin brand better when played next to their cedar-topped equivalents: the cedar-topped ones always seem sound better and respond to a wider range of right hand attacks.

So you're not imagining things, Everton: your experiences comparing them are similar to mine. As it happens I own two Seagulls and a Simon & Patrick, all of which I chose for their tone, and all of them have the same wood combination of solid cedar tops and laminated cherry backs and sides.

I also prefer them to the various all-solid wood versions of those same body sizes made by Godin - again, because I think the solid cedar top/laminated cherry b&s versions simply sound better.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-21-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
To me that combination of a solid cedar top with laminated cherry back and sides is where all of the various flattop guitar brands built by Godin - Seagull, Simon & Patrick , Norman and Art & Lutherie (A&L) - sound their best. I've never liked any spruce-topped Seagull or other Godin brand better when played next to their cedar-topped equivalents: the cedar-topped ones always seem sound better and respond to a wider range of right hand attacks.

So you're not imagining things, Everton: your experiences comparing them are similar to mine. As it happens I own two Seagulls and a Simon & Patrick, all of which I chose for their tone, and all of them have the same wood combination of solid cedar tops and laminated cherry backs and sides.

I also prefer them to the various all-solid wood versions of those same body sizes made by Godin - again, because I think the solid cedar top/laminated cherry b&s versions simply sound better.

Wade Hampton Miller
Funny, but I felt the same when I tested an S & P parlor, spruce top/wild cherry sides, and found it I much inferior to my ear than the cedar - top Ami. I think the cedar - top Ami may be in my signature, sooner than later. Fantastic little guitar.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 05-21-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
I've tried an A&L Ami Cedar, and have been a little blown away by just how versatile this guitar is - even for a moderate strum/attack. Anyone prefer the cedar over the spruce? I ask, because I tried a few spruce-top Roadhouse models that were available... And they sounded inferior to the Cedar Ami.
Cedar top guitars might not be the norm for acoustics but I personally find A&L and Seagulls with cedar tops sound better than their spruce counterparts. I don't think Ami has a spruce version tho, correct me if I'm wrong but I think Seagull produces smaller body guitars with spruce tops.

I also like the necks of A&L / Seagull guitars. They are smooth and easy to play, and the price is a steal.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicwu View Post
I don't think Ami has a spruce version tho, correct me if I'm wrong but I think Seagull produces smaller body guitars with spruce tops.
The Ami definitely does come in a spruce topped version but it seems they produce many more cedar topped Ami's.

As I stated in an earlier reply, I've owned both and prefer the cedar.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicwu View Post
Cedar top guitars might not be the norm for acoustics but I personally find A&L and Seagulls with cedar tops sound better than their spruce counterparts. I don't think Ami has a spruce version tho, correct me if I'm wrong but I think Seagull produces smaller body guitars with spruce tops.

I also like the necks of A&L / Seagull guitars. They are smooth and easy to play, and the price is a steal.
I had/sold a Seagull Cedar-top Entourage Rustic. Wish I didn't, but wanted the Yamaha FG-331 in my signature, so the swap was made. It was a nice dread, but I actually enjoy the Cedar-top Ami better. Will be picking one up this week, God willing!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 05-22-2018, 06:26 AM

What Wade said is spot on.

For a long time I thought Godin made nice guitars but were overrated - especially in this forum. A cedar topped Seagull S6 Folk changed my mind and led to a Ami w/cedar top that I kept @ my sweetie' s house. The Ami got sold when we married & consolidated our stuff, but I still love Godin cedar guitars and have never been disappointed by one.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geelinus View Post
What Wade said is spot on.

For a long time I thought Godin made nice guitars but were overrated - especially in this forum. A cedar topped Seagull S6 Folk changed my mind and led to a Ami w/cedar top that I kept @ my sweetie' s house. The Ami got sold when we married & consolidated our stuff, but I still love Godin cedar guitars and have never been disappointed by one.
The Ami Cedar I had my eye on sold, at cost. But I'll see a used one up here at some point, and when I do, it'll be in my signature!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 05-23-2018, 01:52 AM

I don't believe A&L makes Ami models anymore. A&L's lineup was dramatically altered over a year ago, and the existing models only have Spruce tops.

Short of finding used or old-stock Amis, the best bet for finding cedar-topped parlors by Godin would be within the Seagull brand (named Coastline Cedar Grand).
Old 05-23-2018, 07:52 AM

I recently bought a Seagull Coastline Grand, a strange name for essentially a parlor guitar, for my daughter. What sound for such a small guitar! The solid cedar top and laminated cherry back and sides combined with the clean build make for a winning combination. While I have never been a fan of Seagull's strange headstock, this guitar may make me reconsider.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:56 PM

Default Post Script - Have an Ami Cedar/Used CD$80.00

Found one with a nice little gig bag for travel purposes. 2006 model. Strings quite old, but it still sounds great. So easy to play. Cosmetically, the top is well worn - this thing was both played (strummed, it seems) and dinged a bit. Has the old painted on rosette. Antique Burst. Can't wait to try some D'Adarrio Coated PB EXP16s, though I am considering 11's vs. 12's.

I realize we have DropBox, at home. So I'll post some photos. Somewhat rough shape on the top, maybe giving it some "mojo", though I'm not into "mojo", per se. Still nothing structurally wrong. Could use a new nut, perhaps (slots seem to be cut a smidge too deep). Overall, a nice travel guitar w/a nice travel bag, that won't break my heart if it's stolen or broken (I'll find another, though!)

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 05-30-2018, 02:14 PM

At today's currency exchange rate, your $80 CDN translates to $62.12 USD. I'd say you scored, friend!

whm
Old 05-30-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
At today's currency exchange rate, your $80 CDN translates to $62.12 USD. I'd say you scored, friend!

whm
Indeed!

I can't believe how decent it sounds with these old, grimey strings. It's absolutely the cedar. And so easy to play. (Wonder what it would sound like w/a pickup?)

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion