The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-25-2023, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Good timing on your part, Tony. I've dealt with some very knowledgeable people at GC... and, of course, some that didn't have a clue. More often than not, the sales person there had never heard of a carbon fiber guitar. One guy, after I described carbon fiber to him, led me to a Martin laminate guitar that had a black top on it and proclaimed it: "pretty much the same."

Another that offered to look in their system and asked, "How do you spell 'RainSong'?" There was nothing in their system at that time.

I went into one that had a used RainSong Black Ice - hanging up near the ceiling. After getting a ladder to get it down, the sales guy handed it to me... it was dusty and out of tune. And priced close to new. The action was uncomfortably high. It had obviously been there a while - he said I was the first that asked about it.

There are some good dealers who handle McPherson. I am surprised that Guitar Centers in the Phoenix area don't stock them. Looking it up, you can have one shipped to the store in 3 to 5 business days.

My experience with GC has been hit or miss. Still, I will go in and look around from time to time. These days, if I'm shopping for a guitar, it's on-line with our Irish friends.
FWIW, I found both of my Emeralds by looking on their website.
I'm a cheap *******, don't mind dings and scratches as long as functionality is unaffected, so I look to buy used first, when I can.

Guitar Center's website is on an occasional rotation, along with eBay and Music Go Round.

For instance, Music Go Round has a Rainsong Dreadnought for under $1300.

I nearly grabbed it at $1600, and now it's cheaper than that!!??!?

But I had already grabbed a CA GXi...and now, with the nylon X20 in hand and the X10 inbound, I think I might not need my CAs anymore, so definitely don't need a Rainsong.

https://www.musicgoround.com/product...coustic-guitar
Rainsong Flamenco Nylon (SN#120)
Composite Acoustics 5iM-CE (GXi)
Cordoba Stage
Enya NexG 2, Mountain Guitar, Luna Tribal
Old 10-25-2023, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainfertilizer View Post
I would give them a call and have a salesperson take a look at it and explain what's going on with that.
Thanks. Looks like someone picked it up in the interim. No regrets
Old 10-25-2023, 07:43 PM

Here's another X10 with the humbucker, and I *think* the knobs mean it has the midi output again.
Same price as the one I grabbed, but if it was the same price, I saw no reason not to grab the green quilted maple one...this one is plain, but as was said earlier, some people like the basic black better:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/In...tric-Guitar.gc
Cordoba Stage
Old 10-25-2023, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Here's another X10 with the humbucker, and I *think* the knobs mean it has the midi output again.
Same price as the one I grabbed, but if it was the same price, I saw no reason not to grab the green quilted maple one...this one is plain, but as was said earlier, some people like the basic black better:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/In...tric-Guitar.gc
My X10 has the Krivo humbucker and the individual piezos - it has 2 knobs and the 3-way switch. Which is what it looks like to me in those photos. The level 3 pickup X10 that has the midi pickup has 3 knobs.
Old 10-26-2023, 04:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
My X10 has the Krivo humbucker and the individual piezos - it has 2 knobs and the 3-way switch. Which is what it looks like to me in those photos. The level 3 pickup X10 that has the midi pickup has 3 knobs.
Interesting configuration. My Kestrel has the exact same pickup configuration, but only has two discreet volume controls inside one of he F holes - no switches. Mine was purchased during the now legendary 25% off sale as an in-stock item. I am glad in hindsight because I probably would not have sprung for the individual piezos, instead just ordering the Kestrel with the Krivo. However, that piezos really add an extra "something" and if I were able to try before I buy, I would have certainly chosen the configuration with both pickups. Funny how things often seem to just work out.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 10-26-2023, 05:38 PM

Quote:
i think you're right
Cordoba Stage
Old 10-26-2023, 07:43 PM

Guitar Center currently shows 4 Emeralds.

And I only looked because of this thread, I don't generally troll GC's used stuff on a regular basis.

One Left handed X-20 for $2200.

Two X-10s at 2200 and 2400

An X-20 at 3000

The Left handed X-20 is a pretty fair price. You are basically getting a woody veneer for a fiber weave price. But, you need to a) like that super dark mahogany, and b) play left handed. Honestly, I only know it is a veneer because it says "mahogany swirl", looks like a black hole in the pic.

The others are not great or outstanding prices. With sales tax, might even be slightly cheaper to buy from Emerald. (especially on that $2400 X-10)
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 10-26-2023, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Guitar Center currently shows 4 Emeralds.

And I only looked because of this thread, I don't generally troll GC's used stuff on a regular basis.

One Left handed X-20 for $2200.

Two X-10s at 2200 and 2400

An X-20 at 3000

The Left handed X-20 is a pretty fair price. You are basically getting a woody veneer for a fiber weave price. But, you need to a) like that super dark mahogany, and b) play left handed. Honestly, I only know it is a veneer because it says "mahogany swirl", looks like a black hole in the pic.

The others are not great or outstanding prices. With sales tax, might even be slightly cheaper to buy from Emerald. (especially on that $2400 X-10)
Those are the ones *left*. I got the two good ones already.
Cordoba Stage
Old 10-26-2023, 09:48 PM

Default Here it is!

Sounds really nice, plays really easily.

I still like the depth and complexity of the Composite Acoustics GXi, but this one sounds good enough that I think I can go with keeping only the emerald Emerald. I need the features.

Also, you know how when someone is selling a guitar, they say they kept the guitar in their smoke-free studio? Yeah, not so much that with this one. Any suggestions on getting rid of the smoke smell more quickly?

Last edited by brainfertilizer; 10-26-2023 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-26-2023, 09:53 PM

Cordoba Stage
Old 10-26-2023, 09:57 PM

Cordoba Stage
Old 10-26-2023, 09:58 PM

NOT the vibrant weave. Still...nice to have an emerald Emerald.

Cordoba Stage

Last edited by brainfertilizer; 10-27-2023 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-27-2023, 05:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sounds really nice, plays really easily.

I still like the depth and complexity of the Composite Acoustics GXi, but this one sounds good enough that I think I can go with keeping only the emerald Emerald. I need the features.

Also, you know how when someone is selling a guitar, they say they kept the guitar in their smoke-free studio? Yeah, not so much that with this one. Any suggestions on getting rid of the smoke smell more quickly?
To get a sound similar to CA Guitars, your best bet is probably McPherson Sable or Touring because the design and construction is along similar lines. Owning both McPherson and Emerald guitars, I believe the quality to be comparable. They are very different design philosophies.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 10-27-2023, 07:01 AM

febreeze in the case and 24 hours of airing out seem to have just about solved the cigarette smell.
Cordoba Stage
Old 10-27-2023, 09:30 AM

A thorough wipe down with dish soap and water solution or naphtha, and airing out works most of the time. Sometimes keeping an open container of baking soda in the case works too. The real way to deodorize is to put the open case inside your vehicle with an ozone generator (usually rented) overnight. Don't breathe ozone or have it anywhere near occupied spaces or pets.

It is good to have an emerald green Emerald. I have both a six-string and custom 12-string X20's in green. Red and amber are nice too, but green is special. I normally like natural wood veneer, but the grenen tinto to that quilted maple is suh-weet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber