The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-14-2023, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Emerald X7 wood veneer - colored or plain?

I've been going through a lot of ideas on Emerald's guitar builder, and I love the idea of having the wood veneer look natural (not tinted). I love looking at the back of my unusually pretty Taylor 412ce, but never see it because it's on the back. It would be so cool to the the "pretty part" of the guitar actually on top!

I really like the vibrant teal, but I don't know if that would look weird with a non-tinted wood top? Does anyone have an Emerald with a tinted body where the wood veneer is left "natural"?

Also, does tinting a wood veneer take away from looking at the wood grains and enjoying them?
Old 10-14-2023, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird Jo View Post
Also, does tinting a wood veneer take away from looking at the wood grains and enjoying them?
I have long admired Emerald guitars for the ergonomic design, customization, and striking good looks. I would love a tinted veneer, here's a random example that I'd like:

If this guitar below is a non-tinted example, I'd be quite happy with it, too:

I have no need for another brown guitar. Hope this is useful, and good luck.
Old 10-14-2023, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to AGF, Jo. I'd suggest that you look through some of Emerald's Shipping Videos https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=637054 to see a wide range of combinations that have already been built. You might get a visual answer to your question from an Emerald that has already been ordered, built and shipped. Good luck....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-15-2023, 07:50 AM

Welcome to AGF Jo! Great suggestion by RP above.

For that matter, you might just want to view the current stock inventory.

All of those guitars were created by Emerald using the same 3D builder software....

Last edited by dgaemc2; 10-15-2023 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 10-15-2023, 08:13 AM

Default DO IT

First, if you like it, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. You're the one paying for it.

That being said, I personally don't get that excited about some of the dramatically-tinted colors over wood grain. I realize this is inconsistent almost to the point of hypocrisy, but I'm okay with tinting over quilted or even flamed maple, but not the straight grains.

Also, I think a natural-tinted wood with teal vibrant weave sides/back sounds killer, and I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Remember, carbon fiber wasn't normal when it came out. Then the patterns they started doing in it weren't normal. Then this vibrant weave wasn't normal.

People saw them, liked them, and they became normal.

When it comes to fashion, you pick what you like and make it work.

Will they do it?
Yes:
https://emeraldguitars.com/product/x7-49/

https://emeraldguitars.com/product/x20-l-redwood-burl/

https://emeraldguitars.com/product/synergy-uke-10/

https://emeraldguitars.com/product/virtuo-94/

https://emeraldguitars.com/product/x20-105/

They apparently tried to match the natural tone of the wood with the color of the vibrant weave. Or in at least one of the above examples, it looks like they might have tinted the top and had a vibrant weave.

So it seems clear they can do it. I would expect that because of the personal taste of a teal vibrant weave with a natural top, they would be less likely to accept a return, so make sure it's what you REALLY want before you do it.
Rainsong Flamenco Nylon (SN#120)
Composite Acoustics 5iM-CE (GXi)
Cordoba Stage
Enya NexG 2, Mountain Guitar, Luna Tribal
Old 10-15-2023, 08:22 AM

Default close to what you're thinking?

https://emeraldguitars.com/builder/#..._0_false&20=11
Cordoba Stage
Old 10-15-2023, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Teal and standard green

That's great to hear encouragement that my guitar should be what I like! And a good point to be sure about it before ordering it. I'll give myself plenty of time, both because i need to gather the money and because it's so fun to plan.

Here are two examples of what I've been playing around with:

Teal with black limba:
https://emeraldguitars.com/builder/#...3=1&15=6&20=11

Standard green with black limba:
https://emeraldguitars.com/builder/#...0_0_false&20=2
Old 10-15-2023, 09:50 PM

FWIW, I *really* like that teal one.
That shade/tone of top was what I was envisioning when I tried to build a sample one for you, but the first few I tried didn't look that good, so I just gave up.
Cordoba Stage
Old 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

Default So many choices!

Most of the guitars that have natural, non-tinted wood seem to go with amber, or maybe black, and some of the combos I put together don't seem to fit together naturally - but I'd love to figure out how to have the best of both worlds and design a guitar that has one of the beautiful colors AND also a nice wood veneer on it.

I haven't been able to get the Builder to put the color of the back and sides on top of the natural wood, so I haven't been able to look at a guitar I'm putting together with the color over the natural wood. I might have to contact Emerald about that.

Thanks for your ideas and examples!
Jo
Old 10-15-2023, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainfertilizer View Post
First, if you like it, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
Mic drop.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 10-16-2023, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainfertilizer View Post
First, if you like it, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. You're the one paying for it.

That being said, I personally don't get that excited about some of the dramatically-tinted colors over wood grain. I realize this is inconsistent almost to the point of hypocrisy, but I'm okay with tinting over quilted or even flamed maple, but not the straight grains.
I agree, but having said that, I like the combinations where there's a color "blending" between the back/sides and front of the guitar as opposed to those where there's no common coloration between the front, back and sides.But that's just me...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 10-16-2023 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-16-2023, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Personally I think a tint allows it to blend better but you can still ask them to blend the edges with black to make the transition less stark.

I may be biased but I am really pleased with how my flame maple with fire burst combo turned out. Note the black out near the edges where it joins the side8630%20(1).jpg
Old 10-16-2023, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
Personally I think a tint allows it to blend better but you can still ask them to blend the edges with black to make the transition less stark.

I may be biased but I am really pleased with how my flame maple with fire burst combo turned out. Note the black out near the edges where it joins the sideAttachment 99043
Totally agree. Personally I just don't care for a top that sharply contrasts with the sides...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-16-2023, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Totally agree. Personally I just don't care for a top that sharply contrasts with the sides...
Does that include traditionally made wooden guitars then? Blended edges are a preference for me too, but I still like the look of spruce or cedar to mahogany and rosewood.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 10-16-2023, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Plain ain’t ugly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Emerald_X7.jpg (43.8 KB, 60 views)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber