The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-08-2023, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

Default Making the move...

I may have mentioned here that my wife and I were moving from the Tropical Tip of Texas to Arizona. Seems like it has been a long time in the process, but we have been in the new house 8 days. A lot going on with the process, but I finally got guitars hung on the wall of my new music room...

There is more work to be done to get completely settled in, but today was a good start.

There are 2 more guitar hangers coming that will display a guitar at a diagonal... my wife's idea. She wants to hang a guitar on the wall in the living room, so "You can keep one handy for any time you want to play while on the couch."

The guitars have all been living in their cases until this afternoon. I'm still adjusting to this low humidity, we'll see how the wood guitars do... the carbon fiber guitars are laughing and having a good time.

Another new addition to that room: an adjustable height desk. It should work great when recording and then raise it up to standing height to change strings or work on a guitar... I don't have to use the counter on the kitchen island.

Jim
Old 11-09-2023, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

Default Great music room!

Congratulations on your move. The music room sure looks nice. I think I can actually see those carbon fiber guitars laughing and enjoying themselves. No worries for them!
Old 11-09-2023, 05:31 AM

Captain Jim,

Congrats on your move and setting up your music room!! It looks great!!

I like how your wife thinks with always having one ready to play in the living room!!

I don't have hangers for one on the wall there, but always have at least one of my Emeralds on a stand for quick access....

Last edited by dgaemc2; 11-09-2023 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 11-09-2023, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Having just been through it earlier this year, moving any distance is really a piece of work. Glad you’re getting your music room set up - that was a big step in starting to feel settled for me. My room has two desks - a larger one that’s built into the back of a Murphy bed and is stationary, which is where all of my guitar and recording gear lives and it’s where I play. And a smaller one that, like yours can re raised or lowered. I use that for my office desk with a laptop and papers and stuff at seated height, and then it’s small work to clear it off, raise it up to standing level for a work bench for string changes, and other minor guitar maintenance. It’s a perfect multi-use, multi-height surface.

Enjoy the new place - I grew up in the AZ desert.

-Ray
Old 11-09-2023, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Best wishes for a new happy place - looks like you’re well on your way. Are you sure you don’t need just one more guitar?
Old 11-09-2023, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the kind words and good wishes folks. I thought I was all set for guitar options... and then Emerald's big 25th Anniversary Sale happened. Love the new Virtuo! If any changes to the current line-up were to happen, it might be to re-home something wood. But for right now, I'm content and just looking forward to getting through the moving in stuff.

The only guitar that went into the moving pods was the Yamaha bass. Everything else traveled with us in the motorhome, the cargo trailer, and the SUV. We put the guitars into a climate controlled storage unit while we were waiting to get into the house.

This move has been quite a while in the making. Our daughter has been lobbying for years to get us to move closer. We were somewhat ready to move from south Texas (it is just so far to anywhere). The last couple years, she has been pushing the idea of a NextGen house (kinda like a duplex, but with one side bigger than the other). My wife got onboard with the idea this past winter, so I knew it was just a matter of time. We bought a lot while we were here in March, the builder started on it in April. My only requirements: separate space and a music room. This NextGen house has separate front doors, completely separate living, but with an adjoining door. Yes, it will be a lot of togetherness.

No grandkids for us, and no other family anywhere close for our daughter and son-in-law. I was the last hold-out on this, but once the decision was made to sell our home in Texas, I have been all-in. With appropriate ground rules.

The kids (as we call our daughter and son-in-law) start their move in this weekend. The landscaping is supposed to be done today, another furniture delivery this morning (some still back-ordered), Tuff Shed and hot tub to be installed in the next week. All of this has been a lot of work, and I've had less time for making music the last couple months... I'm looking forward to things settling down and getting to put that music room to good use.
Old 11-09-2023, 02:19 PM

Good looking music room, Jim. Congrats on the progress of settling in. I look forward to visiting it someday during our next trip to the SW to see mom in Sun City. Perhaps you can host Carbon Fest 2024 the way that Kramster hosted Carbon Fest 2018 where we first met. No pressure.
Old 11-09-2023, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Good looking music room, Jim. Congrats on the progress of settling in. I look forward to visiting it someday during our next trip to the SW to see mom in Sun City. Perhaps you can host Carbon Fest 2024 the way that Kramster hosted Carbon Fest 2018 where we first met. No pressure.
Thanks for the "no pressure," Earl. Right now, I'd be delighted to spend some time in there on my own. I spent a good portion of the day dealing with the landscaper folks; they are doing a good job, but we are down to the details. The company owner thought they'd be done today, but they need to let the cement cure overnight where they will be mounting a double gate. So, I'll see some of them again tomorrow. Also on deck for tomorrow morning: replacing an exterior door. The builder thinks the problem is with the door, the door manufacturer thinks it is an install issue. As far as we could tell, the door seemed to be fine, but the builder has run into issues on several other builds that are using this door (an upgrade). I just mostly have to be here to let them into the house and then make sure they don't make a mess.

TMI? Joan has a calendar of who will be delivering what, installing what, and when. Plus, we need to get to the RV park to get the motorhome cleaned inside and out and then put it in storage - that was planned for tomorrow, but... well, see above. It has been like this since before we moved in... and looks like it is going to go on for quite a while. I'm thinking 6 to 18 months, with (hopefully) time off for good behavior. I'm kidding of course - when have you known me to be well behaved?

While Joan went to the grocery store this morning, after the furniture delivery guys were gone, I took Rufus into the music room and shut the door... he was getting a bit anxious with all the noise of the concrete saw cutting pavers non-stop... right outside the living room door (that will be replaced). He was pretty sure they were killing cats out there. The music soothes him.

I digressed again. Seems to happen more often these days. Being on a schedule each day is wearing me out. What was the question? Oh, yeah: a Carbon Fest 2024... may be a bit soon to think about that.
Old 11-10-2023, 10:50 AM

2025 works too. Still no pressure, as I plan to be around... Kramster seems to have drifted off into other interests and is not active here anymore, so someone has to fill the void.
Old 11-10-2023, 11:04 AM

Hard to tell if they are all composite guitars, but if not, keep track of your humidity. Seems like it would be a huge change from your previous location.
Old 11-10-2023, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
Hard to tell if they are all composite guitars, but if not, keep track of your humidity. Seems like it would be a huge change from your previous location.
There's a few Taylors in there. There will be a humidifier.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber