The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-11-2021, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Default Intonation issue on new Telecaster

I’m pretty new to electrics and and I just bought a new Fender Player Tele. I decided to adjust the intonation and I had to adjust the low E saddle all the way back for proper intonation. The A saddle is close too. I did replace the 9-42 strings with 10-46 but the neck relief seems good. I plan on experimenting with strings and slightly worry about not being able to get it intonated in the future. Anyway,just curious. If this could be indicative of a larger problem. I could send it back but certainly don’t want too.

Last edited by Lillis; 09-13-2021 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-11-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
I’m pretty new to electrics and and I just bought a new Fender Player Tele. I decided to adjust the intonation and I had to adjust the low E saddle all the way back for proper intonation. The A saddle is close too. I did replace the 9-42 strings with 10-46 but the neck relief seems good. I plan on experimenting with strings and slightly worry about not being able to get it intonated in the future. Anyway,just curious. If this could be indicative of a larger problem. I could send it back but certainly don’t want too.
I had similar behavior once. Check two things.

1. Are you sure the neck relief is right? You say it "seems" OK, I'd be sure.

2. Look at the technique you use to check intonation. Let's say, for simplicity, you hit the low E open then fretted at 12. I've found the low E to be VERY twitchy in regard to how hard you pluck and how hard you fret. It's very easy to push it out of intonation. The low E is the only string where I actually use the method most recommend, which is open E and the 12th-fret harmonic. Another way of saying all this: depending on how hard you pluck, fret, etc you can seem in or out of intonation in a wide range of positions; which means you never really know.

I found that using this method, being very conscious of not plucking the string too hard, and being sure you have your tone rolled off or nearly off gave me a better result. Then use your ears as a final check: if it sounds right, it is right, regardless of what Peterson thinks.

I'd give myself more space on that saddle and start over paying attention to those variables. At least that worked for me.
Old 09-11-2021, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Thanks. I’m really hoping it’s operator error. I have a slightly lighter gauge string I want to try so I’ll start over with those and see what happens.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 2016 J35 & LG2
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 09-11-2021, 05:38 PM

I had this type of bridge on one of my teles and had the same problem (adjusted low E all the way back) I was using a set of flat wound 12's at the time. You can cut the spring on saddle in half with some snips (I believe its the same spring as on a ball point pen so not to worry)
this took care of the lack of adjustment space. I know this solution sounds worse than it really is - but worked ok for me.
Old 09-11-2021, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadzmad View Post
I had this type of bridge on one of my teles and had the same problem (adjusted low E all the way back) I was using a set of flat wound 12's at the time. You can cut the spring on saddle in half with some snips (I believe its the same spring as on a ball point pen so not to worry)
this took care of the lack of adjustment space. I know this solution sounds worse than it really is - but worked ok for me.
Well I just put some 9.5-44 strings on and having same result. Tomorrow i’ll Go over the neck relief more accurately and see if there’s a difference. I don’t necessarily mind cutting a spring it just seems like it shouldn’t be that out of whack.
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 09-11-2021, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
A long time ago I attempted to set up a new electric. It looked like it should be easy but the same exact thing happened to me that happened to you. I'd have sworn the bridge was installed incorrectly because I couldn't get the intonation right to save my life. I took the guitar to my tech (who had only worked on my acoustics at that point) and he had it right in minutes. Totally user error and it cured me of any desire to set up my own guitars.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 09-12-2021, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Totally user error and it cured me of any desire to set up my own guitars.
I’m that way when it comes to cars and plumbing. But for some reason my ineptitude in those areas hasn’t migrated into guitars. Which is great, because I love guitars while I hate working on cars and plumbing.

Couch Standards
Old 09-12-2021, 03:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
A long time ago I attempted to set up a new electric. It looked like it should be easy but the same exact thing happened to me that happened to you. I'd have sworn the bridge was installed incorrectly because I couldn't get the intonation right to save my life. I took the guitar to my tech (who had only worked on my acoustics at that point) and he had it right in minutes. Totally user error and it cured me of any desire to set up my own guitars.
Interesting. For the life of me I can’t see what i’m might be doing wrong but i’m guessing it is operator error.
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 09-12-2021, 06:31 AM

A Fender Telecaster has no human intervention in it's basic construction. What you did to optimize intonation is going to get you to the same place on any Telecaster...
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-12-2021, 07:03 AM

It wouldn't be the first time Fender did "improvements" on a particular model (such as the individually adjustable saddles shown here) that don't fulfill their promised intent.

I believe that if you compared the geometry of an old style bridge assembly with 3 adjustable angled saddles you'd find that the saddles will easily adjust further to the rear because the string balls anchor through the bridge flange instead of passing through the body with back ferrules.

You might find slightly heavier strings will intonate better as they won't shift upward in pitch as easily when noted. This, of course, is counter-productive when you're looking to make a particular guitar easier to play.
Old 09-12-2021, 10:55 AM

I agree with many or all of these comments:

1) Since you are new to the electric guitar world, it is worth the money to have pro look at the setup. No sense in you getting frustrated with it.

2) I think the old fashioned 3 saddle bridges are loads easier to intonate. I have not had issues (maybe I am lucky) intonating the normal round 3 barrel saddles. I have used some of these "new" saddles and had issues before.

Good luck!

Pete
Old 09-12-2021, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Well the only thing that was right was the neck relief. I had to lower the saddles for string height and raise the pickups a little. Everything seems in order now. The low E saddle is still pulled back quite far but a little less than before. I think i’ll Just play it for a week or so and recheck. Thanks for the tips.
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 09-12-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyGuitar View Post
I agree with many or all of these comments:

I think the old fashioned 3 saddle bridges are loads easier to intonate. I have not had issues (maybe I am lucky) intonating the normal round 3 barrel saddles. I have used some of these "new" saddles and had issues before.

Good luck!

Pete
3 saddle bridges on Teles work best for me

and I am even more amazed how the wraptails on my Les Pauls can get it so right - even without wound G string

(.. considering you can never tune a guitar absolutely perfect..
what intonates exactly right in one key, does not so much in other )

like chasing a tail just live with it
Old 09-12-2021, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Cut the spring, or remove it all together if needed. I'd remove it and adjust just to see how far back you need to go. Then make the spring decision.

Good luck!
Old 09-13-2021, 04:23 AM
Charter Member

I have Tele style bridges like the one shown on two solid body electrics, and perhaps to state the obvious, intonation is the last step after messing about with strings, nut, pickup adjustment, etc. And the low E string has the spring completely removed on one guitar, and cut down to 3/16 inch on the other.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars