The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-12-2013, 09:04 PM

Nice job Bob for putting it together quickly. Nice vocal and loved the lead picking through out. You have a great way of utilizing other effects and sounds.
Ed

Hoffman L-00 w JJB
Kronbauer TDK w K&K
Martin OM-35 w K&K
Gibsons: J-150 w Fishman, CL-35 w JJB, Hummingbird w JJB, Les Paul Custom
Crafter TM-035 w JJB
Recording King ROS-647 w JJB
Voyage-Air OM-04, Washburn Red Rocker
Amps: Crate 2x12, Peaveys, LoudBox Artist
Pickups: JJB & K&K Mini
Callaway Big Bertha Clubs
Old 02-12-2013, 09:52 PM

Great stuff Man! Classic harmony tune but I love the one vocal approach, and the guitar lines.. very "Croce-esk"!

Old 02-14-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa View Post
Bob that is outstanding..... Everything dovetails together so nicely.
Thank you, very much! I'm glad you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUDSTER View Post
Holy Cow Bob that was just superb, love everything about this. Your voice really shines on this tune !

Bud
Thank you, Bud! That means a lot to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
Bob....gotta admit I was skeptical....that is a GIGANTIC song to take on...

Acoustic was stand-out...arrangement, by NOT going to the Chorus I believe 2x gave your arrangement it's unique twist.....

Only crit is purely subjective.....And you may not have the ability to pull it off yourself as the piece seems like a self-contained work with you doing everything.....

But I really wanted to hear the Classic hook on this tune is the BGV's of
And....And......And.............

I personally would've preferred you didn't omit one of the greatest BGV hooks of Classic Rock......

Still a wonderful work......
Deb and I do a version of this with the "and, and, and..." but my objective here was to do more of a solo arrangement. I tried singing the 'ands' solo by stepping each up, but it sounded cheesy, IMHO, so I just stayed on a single note with a single "and" which sounded more sincere to me. I understand you missing the harmonies, but I'm glad you liked my arrangement anyway, Steve. Thanks for listening and commenting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Nice and mellow. Well done, Bob.
Jeremy, I appreciate you listening and commenting, my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fixit eh View Post
Hi Bob,

Really liked it. I'm a big fan of one-take, one-track recording - maybe it's because I haven't learned to do anything else yet You did a great job of making this mellow, relaxed and sweet. Loved it.

It is a shame when work interferes with our hobbies, eh!

Steve
Thanks, Steve! I have only a couple more years until I can retire, so then I will be able to do as much singing and playing as I like. It is a shame that work interferes, but on the other hand it is work that allowed me to afford this hobby so I shouldn't complain about it!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 02-15-2013, 02:40 AM

Very nice playing, you made it your own and I like that.

I really liked Gentle On My Mind too. One of my favorite songs of all time. It's not a Jimmy Webb tune though it's John Hartford. :-)

You've got a real nice style and voice. I'm stuck with about an 12 note range...but I mix them up. LOL The don't call me a baritone for nothing.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown View Post
Really well done Bob.

I agree, it's a daunting song to undertake, but you pulled it off very nicely.

--Bill
Thanks, Bill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjw View Post
Another beautiful vocal with a great production to back it up...wonderful listening!

Andrew
Thank you, Andrew. I'm really just trying to keep up with you and Jane! Man you two set the bar high!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Bob,

We were practically a cover band for The Band we did so many of their songs, and to take "The Weight" that far from the original is a risk..............but I think you pulled it off big time!

I liked it a lot, even sans harmonies and the stepped "and.....and......and"s you make it work, good job my friend!!

I did sing a harmony along with it..................
Rich, it's good to see a post from you! Yep, we've covered this song every which way, too. We covered it in a band (that's where I met Deb...a story for another thread), and it was regularly on our play list when Deb and I were gigging as a duet. I never tire of this song, but the A/B repetitiveness can wear on me so I started the AAB/AAB/AB arrangement several years ago. I'm glad you liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfarm View Post
Wow. Very nice, one of my favorites . . .
Thank you very much!!

ReverbNation (originals)

Old 02-16-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Gilmour View Post
For a "quick recording" on limited time that is a fantastic production Bob...wow!
I really like your vocal on this and those keyboard strings draped in the background really set the mood on this one.
Thank you, WG!! Those keys were an afterthought, so I'm glad they worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Bob,

Having listen to this song a gabillion times over my life, I have to say that listening to your rendition reinspires what make this song so great. Your fresh take is beautiful. I really like the rolling acoustic guitar and softer vocal approach. Many bands play it without the dynamics a song likes this needs so as to not be too repetitave chorus after chorus or they over do it. I think you captured an undiscovered element of beauty in this song that reflects the lyrics on a deeper level. I think this outstanding Bob and a joy to listen to.

eric
Eric, what a kind and thoughtful comment. You've got me blushing, but I am ever so grateful and pleased that you liked this. Thank you, very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolleiguy54 View Post
You are treading on sacred ground and hit a home run.

Very, very nice.
Rolleiguy, yes I agree, this is sacred ground, so I am pleased that you approve of my rendition. Thank you for listening and your very kind comment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
This is one of my favourite melodies -- and I love the treatment that was given to it here. The "soft" approach, the keyboard fills -- it all works very well.

Nicely done, Bob!
Mau, thank you, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
outstanding!!!!!!!
Louie, thank you very much, sir!

ReverbNation (originals)

Old 02-19-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbyguy View Post
Nice job Bob for putting it together quickly. Nice vocal and loved the lead picking through out. You have a great way of utilizing other effects and sounds.
Ed
Ed, thanks for listening and commenting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
Great stuff Man! Classic harmony tune but I love the one vocal approach, and the guitar lines.. very "Croce-esk"!
Dwayne, I sure do appreciate you taking time to listen and comment! Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
Very nice playing, you made it your own and I like that.

I really liked Gentle On My Mind too. One of my favorite songs of all time. It's not a Jimmy Webb tune though it's John Hartford. :-)

You've got a real nice style and voice. I'm stuck with about an 12 note range...but I mix them up. LOL The don't call me a baritone for nothing.
Thanks, Jay! Darn it, I knew that was a John Hartford song and I even used a YT clip with him playing banjo along with Glen Campbell when I learned it! I'm just so used to Campbell doing Jimmy Webb songs that my fingers typed Webb automatically!! Good catch....fixed!

ReverbNation (originals)

Old 02-19-2013, 05:33 PM

very nice. Wonder what DAW you have used, how many tracks, etc... the technical stuff.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delaorden9 View Post
very nice. Wonder what DAW you have used, how many tracks, etc... the technical stuff.
Thank you! I have a very inexpensive and low tech recording chain. I record on a stand alone recorder and do not use a DAW or any computer assistance for recording. I mix and master on the stand alone as well.

The stand alone is a Boss BR864. I recorded each of the two guitar (Taylor GA4) parts with mics in a spaced pair, so each guitar part is in stereo (even though one is then panned to the left in the final mix). The bass (Fender Squier) is plugged directly into the recorder and I used a bass amp simulator, also recorded to two tracks in stereo. The strings were played on a Yamaha keyboard plugged directly into the recorder and recorded in stereo to two tracks. The vocal was through a Rode NT1A recorded to two tracks with stereo reverb. So, I recorded ten tracks (or 5 stereo tracks) and mixed them down to two for final mastering.

ReverbNation (originals)

Old 02-19-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
Thank you! I have a very inexpensive and low tech recording chain. I record on a stand alone recorder and do not use a DAW or any computer assistance for recording. I mix and master on the stand alone as well.

The stand alone is a Boss BR864. I recorded each of the two guitar (Taylor GA4) parts with mics in a spaced pair, so each guitar part is in stereo (even though one is then panned to the left in the final mix). The bass (Fender Squier) is plugged directly into the recorder and I used a bass amp simulator, also recorded to two tracks in stereo. The strings were played on a Yamaha keyboard plugged directly into the recorder and recorded in stereo to two tracks. The vocal was through a Rode NT1A recorded to two tracks with stereo reverb. So, I recorded ten tracks (or 5 stereo tracks) and mixed them down to two for final mastering.

Thanks for your reply. The fact you do not use any computer or DAW makes your job even greater. Very professional. You are ready to go for a great cd recording and spread your wonderful job. Congratulations !
Old 02-19-2013, 06:35 PM

A classic done with great soul and emotion. A pleasure to listen to this performance.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 02-23-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
A classic done with great soul and emotion. A pleasure to listen to this performance.
Many thanks, Jon!

ReverbNation (originals)

Old 02-23-2013, 10:23 AM

Bob, Ill put like this.

If I was in a pub in a deep conversation with a close friend and heard this performance i would immediately stop the coversation and ask my friend to look towards the stage and enjoy the moment.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 02-24-2013, 07:43 AM

Thank you, Mark! That is a very nice compliment.

ReverbNation (originals)

Old 02-24-2013, 08:15 AM

Bob,
Great job, I really enjoyed this! Your arrangement of this classic was great and if I hadn't known what song was coming, when I heard the intro, I would not have been surprised to hear "These Days" by Jackson Browne. Very well done!

Willie

https://soundcloud.com/willie-johnson-jr

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell