The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2019, 07:07 PM

Default Boutique Thin Picks???

I have some great Charmed Life and Blue Chip picks that are very stiff and great for picking single note, blue grassy kinds of things.

Today I was strumming with a cheap Dunlop nylon .88 that is much softer and flexy. Not very good for single note picking but sounded pretty nice for strumming.

Are there any high end boutique picks that are softer and flexy? What's your experience?

Thanks

Last edited by OjaiAndrew; 02-21-2019 at 07:10 PM. Reason: needs clarification
Old 02-21-2019, 07:13 PM

Try a Primatone .73 or .88. You can get a 12-pack for $25, but if you feel better spending more, I'll sell you a 12-pack for $100. And that's with free shipping.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:10 PM

Smile Way cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
Try a Primatone .73 or .88. You can get a 12-pack for $25, but if you feel better spending more, I'll sell you a 12-pack for $100. And that's with free shipping.
Awesome!
How about 24 for $300?
Old 02-21-2019, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OjaiAndrew View Post
Awesome!
How about 24 for $300?
What a deal!
Old 02-21-2019, 10:30 PM

I would suggest having lots of various picks with different thicknesses. Every size is different in terms of playability and tone. Also the thickness has a much larger significance than the brand. It's a nice cheap way to experiment with tone and playability.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I have some great Charmed Life and Blue Chip picks that are very stiff and great for picking single note, blue grassy kinds of things.

Today I was strumming with a cheap Dunlop nylon .88 that is much softer and flexy. Not very good for single note picking but sounded pretty nice for strumming.

Are there any high end boutique picks that are softer and flexy? What's your experience?

Thanks

To actually answer your question, you need to look at a V-Pick Traditional UltraLite. Vinny (V Picks) makes these in Nashville and is a cool guy and fine guitar player. I own several, in various sizes and thicknesses, and they're excellent.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 02-22-2019, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

FWIW Steve Kaufman had a custom run of Blue Chip picks made - the TD 30, which is .75mm.

If you are so inclined to try one (they are pricey), they can be found at http://www.flatpik.com/tools-of-the-...lue-chip-picks. And yes, these can be broken if you try....

D
Old 02-22-2019, 09:45 AM

And of course, if you like your CLPs, they make various thin picks out of the same materials: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=431729
Old 02-22-2019, 10:29 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hi OjaiAndrew,

I'm curious as to what you'd be looking for from a thin boutique pick? I can make a casein or acrylic pick down to whatever thickness you like, but what would you like different - in terms of tone and performance - from your Dunlop .88?

It's also worth mentioning that many of the engineering plastics used to make 'boutique' picks can become quite brittle when thinned beyond a certain point. This is because of the hardness of the plastic - it's a bit of a tradeoff between hardness and flexibility.

I recently made a 0.8mm Magma acrylic pick in a new, more pointed, shape which I've been enjoying on electric guitar; a friend who tested out the slightly thicker casein version wouldn't give it back

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:12 PM

Take a look at cool picks,I use the green .053 elderly has them.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:

Thanks
I wouldn't call DAVA picks boutique but depending how you hold them, they can be stiff or flexible making them "flexible" for single note picking and strumming.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

It's always dicey, no matter the material, when getting much below 1.0 mm. Most of the "boutique" makers tend to steer far clear of it, but I believe the main reason for that is they're making picks for a select group of players that tend to play much thicker picks (1.50-2.0 mm).

But there are choices out there if you look around.

Happy Hunting,
Scott Memmer
Old 02-22-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
It's always dicey, no matter the material, when getting much below 1.0 mm. Most of the "boutique" makers tend to steer far clear of it, but I believe the main reason for that is they're making picks for a select group of players that tend to play much thicker picks (1.50-2.0 mm).

But there are choices out there if you look around.

Happy Hunting,
Scott Memmer
It seems also that most boutique picks are made of hard material. If they were very thin, they would end up breaking very easily.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:12 PM

You don't need to spend a small fortune on 'boutique' picks. Just buy a selection of whatever your preferred gauge is from any number of different materials. You may surprise yourself-and save a load of money.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
You don't need to spend a small fortune on 'boutique' picks. Just buy a selection of whatever your preferred gauge is from any number of different materials. You may surprise yourself-and save a load of money.
Exactly. The whole point of a boutique pick is to get just the right mix of flexibility, friction, rigidity etc. to make "single note, grassy type of stuff" sound really good.

Strumming is much less demanding in terms of those features, at least in my opinion and in my experience. You wouldn't buy a Ferrari for grocery shopping, either.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion