The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-20-2019, 10:47 PM

Default first post and NGD and a story

Hi all. I visit this site all the time. I've never posted, but I enjoy reading and learning. Not a big guitar purchaser- a bit of a neo luddite.

I live in Louisiana and my parents live about 2 hours away in East TX. Close to their little town is the coolest guitar store I've ever visited. Tons of surprises, discoveries, characters and awesome stuff. I've played a real nocaster there, tons of old acoustics, archtops and old amps. It's called Action Sound in Hawkins Tx.

I go there every time I visit my folks. I've been going there for years and they recognize me as the guitar geek that I am. When I walk in they always bring something they just got in to show me. A pre-CBS red strat, a 1959 jazzmaster, a late 30s epiphone broadway. You never know. They treat me like I'm their best customer even though I've never bought anything beyond strings there.

I go in there with my dad relatively recently and they are excited to show me a brand new Bedell 1964 orchestra with an Adi top and an awesome mahogany back. I play it and it's AWESOME. A world class guitar that is typical of what they show me when i visit Action Sound.

My dad sells the owner a few raffle tickets for his church and we go on our merry way.

My son struggles with epilepsy and has for most of his life. Around this trip we find out that the next step (after 1 surgery and MANY med and dr changes) in my son's treatment is brain surgery.

My parents and I are very close and they love my son. My parents knew that we were having a very hard time getting our brains around our son having, well, brain surgery.

So long story short, a few weeks later, my parents come to visit us and my dad asks me to help get something out of their trunk.

He opens the trunk and there I see a Bedell guitar case. My dad went back and bought that exact guitar for me. He's tearing up as he says that he thought it would be something nice for me to take my mind off of my son for a while. The last guitar they bought for me was in 1982 when they bought me an Arbor acoustic as my first guitar at 12 years old.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my story and introduce myself and hopefully show pix of my new Bedell that I can't put down. Best acoustic I own. And if you are ever in a few hour radius of Hawkins, TX, stop by.

And my son's surgery went well. About a week in the hospital recovering and so far so good.

Thanks for reading.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:49 PM

That is a wonderful story on all accounts. Best wishes to you, your family, and for your son's continued recovery.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustigoat View Post
That is a wonderful story on all accounts. Best wishes to you, your family, and for your son's continued recovery.
I couldn't have said it any better.

Take care and best wishes Consumerduck.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

Thank you so much for sharing your awesome NGD story. My heart is warmed, and as someone who has been "surprise" gifted two beautiful guitars along the way, I know how wonderful it feels. Blessings to your family, and best wishes to your son. Enjoy your new Bedell!!
Old 02-20-2019, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

That’s lovely.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:44 PM

Best post I've read in quite awhile. If everyone had parents like yours, the world would be a lot better place. Glad to hear your son is doing better. I'm sure that is a relief to you and your wife.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:56 PM

Lovely story. Thanks for sharing. Glad to hear your son is in recovery.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:56 AM

Thumbs up

Beautiful introduction and story! You have great parents. Glad to hear that your son is recovering well. Enjoy your guitar and your time here on AGF...
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 02-21-2019, 01:57 AM
Charter Member

Thank you for sharing and best of luck. I hope that Bedell becomes a life-long keeper because of all the good memories it is AND WILL BE associated with.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:35 AM
Charter Member

A warm welcome to the forum as a poster, and thanks for sharing such a special story. We also went though a difficult patch with our son's health some years ago, and playing the guitar was very beneficial at that time.

So, congratulations on your son's success, and on the great guitar.....and on the wonderful parents!

Col
Old 02-21-2019, 04:51 AM

Great story, and welcome to the forum as a participant. Please pass along our good wishes to your son and father for us. Love is a powerful emotion, and it’s clear that there’s a great deal of love in your family.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-21-2019, 05:09 AM

Welcome to the forum, congrats on the new guitar and above all thank you for sharing your story!

If you get a minute post a pic of the guitar.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 02-21-2019, 05:18 AM

Now that's the best kind of NGD of all!

Great to hear your son is ok.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:36 AM

Welcome, A heart felt best wishes for your son. Sometimes the sacrifices and hardships in life are soothed by a kind compassionate act. What a wonderful story but an even greater family. I hope your new guitar brings you all joy, peace and good health.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:40 AM

Well that's a great way to start my day. God's blessings to you and your family.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion