The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2019, 01:43 PM

Default Switching My Beinner Guitar Thoughts

As a member recently said that many of us here, immediately suggest Yamaha when a new player asks for suggestions on a beginner guitar. I have done this many times. However, I have been rethinking this mainly because of so many recently suggesting Alvarez guitars for various reasons.

Looking at the price of the Yammies and comparing what they offer compared to Alvarez, there is a marked difference in quality and IMHO, tone. In playing the FG/FS800, 820's etc., they are quite decent but lack the bottom end an Alvarez AD60/66 gives. Also, the materials used in the Yammies are solid tops but Alvarez have + A solid tops, and usually better quality nuts and saddles. So for a few dollars more and sometimes for the same price, you are getting a better guitar, both tonally and in build materials.

Unfortunately, Alvarez guitars are not as easily found in some areas as the Yammies.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:55 PM

I don't care for F series Yamahas. I don't like the string spacing, nut width or neck profile. I prefer Alvarez in this regard especially.

Both are pretty consistent though and picking one up that is a major dud is fairly unlikely.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-22-2019, 02:16 PM

Alvarez and Washburn are both making great guitars at fair prices.
I don't think that you will get either one as cheap as the Yamaha but for a small up charge both Alvarez and Washburn are worth looking at.

Yamaha is a great starting point but there are a lot of other nice guitars that are in direct competition with them these days.
Look around and find the one that is right for you.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
As a member recently said that many of us here, immediately suggest Yamaha when a new player asks for suggestions on a beginner guitar. I have done this many times. However, I have been rethinking this mainly because of so many recently suggesting Alvarez guitars for various reasons.

Looking at the price of the Yammies and comparing what they offer compared to Alvarez, there is a marked difference in quality and IMHO, tone. In playing the FG/FS800, 820's etc., they are quite decent but lack the bottom end an Alvarez AD60/66 gives. Also, the materials used in the Yammies are solid tops but Alvarez have + A solid tops, and usually better quality nuts and saddles. So for a few dollars more and sometimes for the same price, you are getting a better guitar, both tonally and in build materials.

Unfortunately, Alvarez guitars are not as easily found in some areas as the Yammies.
I own an AD60 dread and a Delta00. Nice guitars just not lifers. Alvarez is pretty standard Chinese stuff tbh. While Alvarez has pretty good quality control there is nothing special about them compared to every other brand name Chinese guitar.

Dont pass up trying some Seagulls. 1.72 inch nut and 1.8 inch with wide saddles and the same nice wide spacing on both size nuts. Build quality is much better then Yamah. Not over built. They punch way above the price bracket. Seagull is built in Canada and is probably the best value per $ sub 2000$. The new Entourage line up is insanely under priced. If you slap another brand name on the Entourage line they would cost easily 2x as much.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-22-2019 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Removed details.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERZEY View Post
I own an AD60 dread and a Delta00. Nice guitars just not lifers. Alvarez is pretty standard Chinese stuff tbh. While Alvarez has pretty good quality control there is nothing special about them compared to every other brand name Chinese guitar.

Dont pass up trying some Seagulls. 1.72 inch nut and 1.8 inch with wide saddles and the same nice wide spacing on both size nuts. Build quality is much better then Yamah. Not over built. They punch way above the price bracket. Seagull is built in Canada and is probably the best value per $ sub 2000$. The new Entourage line up is insanely under priced. If you slap another brand name on the Entourage line they would cost easily 2x as much.
My first guitar was a Simon & Patrick Cedar Six. They still make it but call it something else now. It was a fine guitar and would likely still have it except for the narrow neck. Seagulls are 1,8" mostly and it would have been that sister of the S & P, I would likely still own it.

Many people feel as you do about the tone and quality of these Godin brands and many offer them as suggestions instead of the Yammies although they are usually a bit more money.

Talking good deals and the Godin brands, the Seagull Artist and the S & P Showcase are pretty spectacular, IMHO but they don't match the Alvarez Masterworks but now we are getting out of the $200.00-400.00 market.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-22-2019 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Edited quote

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion