The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-22-2019, 09:19 AM

Default X20 case question

I’m really enjoying my X20 that I got a couple weeks ago but I’m wondering what others think of the case.

I for one don’t love it and I’m wondering if I should have gone with the gig bag instead for my use.

I go to jams about twice a week and leave it on the stand when I’m home. That ends up being a lot of times going in and out of the case.

The springy latches on mine don’t line up well and are hard to latch.

Also the cloth strip that keeps the case from opening too far is just short enough that the top wants to fall shut on the guitar as I’m taking it out.

Am I being too picky, otherwise it feels like a nice enough case and the guitar is great.

Thx ned
Old 02-22-2019, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

I don't think you're being picky if there are issues with the case. If so, you should reach out to Emerald and let them know (assuming it was a new purchase from Emerald and it's an Emerald hard case). I'll bet they'll take it back free of charge and either send you a new case or a gig bag. For both my custom X20 and X7 I opted to go with only the gig bag because I never use hard cases - even for wood guitars when I had them.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

I have gig bags for my Emeralds, but the Hiscox case for the X20 is outstanding - lightweight, durable, and looks good. On mine, the fit is great (everything lines up as it is supposed to) and the strap that holds it when open is the right length to do the job. I definitely prefer this Hiscox case to other Tolex wrapped wood cases I have.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:54 AM

I purchased my almost new X20 pre-owned. It came with the Emerald gig bag and an SKB hard case. The SKB is a great fit and works well.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 02-22-2019, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I have gig bags for my Emeralds, but the Hiscox case for the X20 is outstanding - lightweight, durable, and looks good. On mine, the fit is great (everything lines up as it is supposed to) and the strap that holds it when open is the right length to do the job. I definitely prefer this Hiscox case to other Tolex wrapped wood cases I have.
Yeah, mine came with the Hiscox also and I can't imagine anything I'd complain about with it. Very light, but I've heard stories of people checking them as baggage and having the case badly damaged but the guitar came through unharmed. Looks I don't much care about with a guitar case (although a strat or tele in a nice flat tweed case has it's appeal...), but functionally mine is great. That said, I don't use it much at all, so it mostly just sits there doing nothing...

-Ray
Old 02-22-2019, 10:15 AM
Guest 928

I prefer the Emerald bags over the cases. I'm not flying with my guitars and I find the bags a lot easier to lug around than the cases.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:13 PM

I’m glad others are happy with their cases. I need to twist the top counter clockwise a couple mm’s to get the tooth in the latch to line up with notch on the lid

Here’s how the line up
Old 02-28-2019, 11:52 AM

Ok I’ve decided I’m not going to try to return the case.
I’ve found that only 2 of the latches are slightly mis-aligned and if I snap the other three shut first, those two will then close ok without much trouble.
I may eventually pick up an inexpensive gig bag though for daily use.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedley View Post
Ok I’ve decided I’m not going to try to return the case.
I’ve found that only 2 of the latches are slightly mis-aligned and if I snap the other three shut first, those two will then close ok without much trouble.
I may eventually pick up an inexpensive gig bag though for daily use.
I have a Taylor case like that. Their cases are generally well received; this one has two latches that don't want to stay latched. Every so often, I have to give each latch a little "encouragement" (think: twist & shout), but they come undone at their leisure. Frustrating, but only when I have to close up the case.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I have a Taylor case like that. Their cases are generally well received; this one has two latches that don't want to stay latched. Every so often, I have to give each latch a little "encouragement" (think: twist & shout), but they come undone at their leisure. Frustrating, but only when I have to close up the case.

That’s how this one is, maybe over time it will get better. I go to two jams a week and leave it on the stand when I’m home, that adds up to 8 times in or out of the case per week.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber