The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-27-2018, 12:22 PM

Default Noise Gate with Effects Loop

Why????

I cannot bend my head around this... What is the point? I have an old MXR gate from the 1970's that just isn't working the greatest anymore so I replaced it with a EHX Silencer which has a loop in it.

I get the idea that you might want to isolate your noisy pedals in a loop but isn't that just the same thing as putting the gate after the noisy pedals?

Basically I have a Muff, TS9, MT-2, Dynacomp and a Micro Synth that I want to hush. Why would I put those in a loop as opposed to just putting the gate after them?
Old 04-28-2018, 07:09 AM

I'm not familiar with that pedal but the great thing about putting noisy pedals in an effects loop (not to be confused with the amp's effects loop) is that it takes those pedals out of the signal chain when not in use. Some pedals color your tone when in the signal chain, even when they're off.

I thought about buying an effects loop pedal (radial) to put my wah in it. I rarely use the wah it so I have no desire to keep it in my signal chain and I don't want to add a noise gate for that single pedal. As it is now, I don't have the wah in my chain.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:52 PM

Dru that's the thing though, it doesn't actually take them out of the pedal chain and into an isolated loop. I can have the Gate clicked off and still use the Big Muff. Then if I want to take the noise out of the Muff I engage the Gate.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Dru that's the thing though, it doesn't actually take them out of the pedal chain and into an isolated loop. I can have the Gate clicked off and still use the Big Muff. Then if I want to take the noise out of the Muff I engage the Gate.
That I didn't realize. Don't know why an effects loop pedal like that noise gate would take the pedals out of the main signal line.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Why????

I cannot bend my head around this... What is the point? I have an old MXR gate from the 1970's that just isn't working the greatest anymore so I replaced it with a EHX Silencer which has a loop in it.

I get the idea that you might want to isolate your noisy pedals in a loop but isn't that just the same thing as putting the gate after the noisy pedals?

Basically I have a Muff, TS9, MT-2, Dynacomp and a Micro Synth that I want to hush. Why would I put those in a loop as opposed to just putting the gate after them?
Great question I am new to a lot of these questions as they specifically apply to electric guitar and pedals.
So I looked up the info for this particular pedal on the company website and watched a few Youtube videos
I think that if you are only using it as a noise gate and you want to gate all the pedals on your your board you might not necessarily use the loop (although it appears from the site info that you still might want to the loop Send at least ) I also noted that in video's the Silencer is put as the first pedal in the chain ? which I am guessing is to cut any hum from the pickups (which may be what is actually triggering the hum in the noisy pedals ?

However
This pedal appears to be somewhat multi functional beyond just noise gate with the inclusion of the FX loop.

#1 It looks like from the info that the "Send" output from the pedal is a buffered output but the main Output is not, so you have a choice regardless of whether or not you are using the loop .

#2 Also it appears that because of the loop "Send" function this pedal can also offer and A/B outputs for running two amps (even if not using the loop) or for example with using both the "Output" and the "Send" it appears you can run a wet/dry two amp system. with the "Output" jack going direct to the dry amp and then "Send" jack going to the FX pedals then to the wet amp .
All while getting the benefit of using the gate for both.
I am so glad you posted this because I have been looking into a wet dry system (and if I am reading the info correctly ? ) then this pedal might be a Twofer toward that end

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 04-29-2018 at 08:38 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars