The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-11-2021, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Thanks. I think they look a bit waiting room art in a dentist or psychologist's office. I guess I'm ok with that, though.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 01-12-2021, 10:05 AM

The test on any cloth used for panels is the 'breath test' - can you breathe through the material? Hold it up to your mouth and try. I used burlap for my first batches of panels, then simple thin cotton sheeting for subsequent ones.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-12-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
The test on any cloth used for panels is the 'breath test' - can you breathe through the material? Hold it up to your mouth and try. I used burlap for my first batches of panels, then simple thin cotton sheeting for subsequent ones.
With the thinner stuff, it's often been misted with formaldehyde or something similar to dissuade bugs from eating it. That's the faint teargas-like sting you experience when you walk into a Jo-Ann store. Besides being a poisonous irritant, it also acts as a bit of a varnishy barrier. So it's best to run the fabric through the washer before you use it. I realize, fellas, that this also means ironing. I personally have avoided ironing clothes since the Carter administration, but since this is in the interest of guitar-playing, I think it's okay. No starch, obviously.

Couch Standards
Old 01-12-2021, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Oops. I may have not bought the best fabric. I can definitely breathe through it, though it's hardly free flowing.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 01-12-2021, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
Oops. I may have not bought the best fabric. I can definitely breathe through it, though it's hardly free flowing.
If you put it over your head (covering your ears, of course), can you still hear? I think that's a better test, honestly.

And, mount away from the walls, at least a couple inches, if you go permanent with it. Not quite double the absorptive area, but it adds quite a lot, since waves are everywhere and not all are hitting the wall at 90°.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:19 PM

Nice-looking panels! I like the fact that they aren't all oriented identically.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
Just a FWIW, on the backside of many of my panels, I used that almost gauzy, black stuff you see on the bottom side of chairs and sofas. it's usually cheaper than regular fabric, but not always if there's something appropriate in the remainder bin. (N.B. Do not use fabrics rated for indoor/outdoor use, because they will be coated and probably reflect more than they let go through.)

https://www.joann.com/utility-fabric.../10173300.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0517-backing2.jpg (41.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 01-14-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
Just a FWIW, on the backside of many of my panels, I used that almost gauzy, black stuff you see on the bottom side of chairs and sofas. it's usually cheaper than regular fabric...
I started out using that brown packing paper that comes on huge rolls, with Super 77 spray glue. Now I use newspaper. And I don't do a rigid, heavy outer frame, just a thin wood nonstructural outer edge. I wondered if they'd hold up over time, but at this point some of them are almost 20 years old and still look great.

Couch Standards
Old 01-14-2021, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I started out using that brown packing paper that comes on huge rolls, with Super 77 spray glue. Now I use newspaper. And I don't do a rigid, heavy outer frame, just a thin wood nonstructural outer edge. I wondered if they'd hold up over time, but at this point some of them are almost 20 years old and still look great.
If I had a table saw, I'd probably rip thin plywood, but it also depends on whether you're building panels with the more rigid stuff, or in my case, something a lot "floppier" perhaps, what is best. It's certainly overbuilt for things that are fastened to the wall, though I do have some baling wire in the front for the overhead clouds, and it's clear that it is doing its job up there!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD