The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-04-2021, 05:49 PM

Default Which service is best (financially) for artists?

Nearly all of my recorded music purchases over the last decade or more have been from lesser known &/or independent artists. Many of these artists I've found through Pandora, YouTube, and similar services.

When I purchase their music I'd like to do it in a way that puts as much of the money as possible in their pockets. I know these folks are working hard and personally funding their recordings so I hate to think about fees eating any more of the price than is fair and necessary.

Last week I purchased several albums from an artists web site, but I noticed their music could also be purchased through iTunes and several other services. It got me to wondering which method actually helps them the most. Do any of you have any experience & input that may be helpful?
Old 01-04-2021, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

As someone that has music out on Bandcamp, as well as iTunes, Spotify, etc Bandcamp makes me the most money. If I sell an album for 9.99 I think I make 7.50 or something. Any of these services that handle the payment part and automated sending of files to the buyer all charge a fee. I suppose the most direct way would be for someone to paypal me money, and then I send them the digital files. But that sounds like to much manual work.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:17 PM

Anton, exactly the kind of answer I'm looking for. The albums I bought last week were actually through PayPal and he sent me a link to the WAV files. The process worked well enough but my slow internet connection was a bit of a problem so the artist sent a different link while I was traveling for work, and the hotel connection worked like a charm.

I don't recall seeing the BandCamp option many times but I'll look out for it.

Here's another question, Are their streaming services (Spotify, Pandora, etc.) that are better for independent musicians?
Old 01-05-2021, 11:00 AM

If you use a service such as CDBaby or Tunecore, they will put your music on all the standard streaming services (Pandora is a different subject) and collect the streaming revenue for you (less their cut, of course). FWIW, streaming revenue is very small unless you get hundreds of thousands of streams.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD