The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2018, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!
Default Looking for an entry level Baritone?

I'm seeking advice on Baritones. From what I see on E-Bay & Reverb, it seems Alvarez has cornered the market on entry level baritones? The only other brands I saw were Cort, & Walden. I've tried a Walden and was unimpressed by the tone, and completely turned off by it's sound hole placement.... Are there any other sub $1,000 brands to consider such as Eastman, or Blueridge?

The reviews I've read here about Alvarez seem favorable, but I haven't played one myself, and would hate to be disappointed by ordering a "pig in a poke"... I'm seeking the wisdom of greater minds on AGF. What do you folks have to offer for advice?

Don
Old 05-25-2018, 02:02 PM

Don, I’ve played a couple of the Alvarez baritone guitars, and liked them both. Neither of them were as musically impressive as my handmade McAlister baritone, but it would be staggering if they were.

But given their price point, they’re remarkably good buys. I have no qualms about recommending them for someone like you who’s interested in baritone guitars but unwilling to spend a lot of money to get one. What’s more, for most players the Alvarez baritone is as much baritone guitar as they’ll ever need.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-25-2018, 03:02 PM

Ditto here for Wade's comments. After six months I still like my Alvarez ABT610 baritone pretty well, and that is said as the former owner of a Taylor 416-LTD baritone with ovangkol back & sides. I'm debating whether it needs some set up work, string experimentation, etc. First step will be a truss rod tweak, but it is close enough now that I have not bothered with that simple adjustment - yet.

So far it has been pretty good to play, and I need to experiment with some different strings. The D'Addario EXP's it came strung with are aging well, but are definitely due for a change. EXP's are noisier (squeakier) than I am accustomed to, but I mostly use Elixir Nanoweb or Polyweb on my niche guitars.

It is well built overall and sounds decent. My biggest complaint is that the satin body has a LOT of texture to it (read: handling noise). I am considering some Meguier's rubbing compound and elbow grease to smooth that out. And yes, I know how Wade feels about buffing satin finishes....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion