The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-20-2018, 01:35 PM

Default Martin V-neck - my opinion

Two years ago I picked up an NOS Martin D-Mahogany 09, which is very similar to a D-18 GE but with sustainable wood sources and an Alpine Spruce top. Great guitar. It has the same V-neck as a D-18 GE. When I played it at the shop, I wasn't sure how I was going to like that V neck in the long run, but I loved the sound, got a good deal, and bought it anyway.

Two years in, I'm finding I prefer the more regular neck on my Gibson Advanced Jumbo (it feels a little wider and thicker than a J-45/50). I'm thinking I might let the D-Mahogany go, just one more player who "didn't get along with the neck profile" of an otherwise outstanding instrument.

My question - especially for flatpickers - has anyone else felt this way about Martin V-necks, or is it just me? Should I give it more time?

-------------------------------------------------
2009 '69 Thinline Telecaster
2006 Gibson AJ
2001 Gibson J-50
1970's Baldwin/Ode banjo
1940 Harmony Patrician
1940 Harmony resonator
1930's Kalamazoo KG-11
Old 05-20-2018, 01:55 PM

Picking style has nothing to do with neck shape preference. I'm 100% a finger picker and dislike the Martin vee neck. I never could abide it. I'd like to know how it was decided upon because it's an awkward thumb rest for the fretting hand. The thumb adjusts perpendicularly up and down slightly either side of neck centerline to accommodate playing. The vee shape does not provide a constant radius for the thumb to slide over so the thumb has to accommodate the neck rather than the neck accommodating the thumb. It's a tail wagging the dog thing. People who grasp the neck like they would a bat might like it but I prefer the low oval, constant radius.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:01 PM

Default Martin V-neck - my opinion

I have basically two of the same guitar with different neck shapes. The modified V neck guitar is lighter weight, louder and more resonant. But, I reach for the one with the modified low oval neck shape guitar 80% of the time. I won’t sell the V, because I use it for bluegrass. Play what feels best when it’s appropriate.

Last edited by martingitdave; 05-20-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

I sold my D18GE because of the V neck and bought a standard D18. I just don't like V necks.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:19 PM

I had a Waterloo WL-14XTR with the really fat V neck and loved it. My Gibson AJ is from 20112 and has a surprisingly low volume/thin neck, but I also love that neck as well. My 2018 D-35's neck is also super comfy. I guess I'm lucky, as I'm pretty easy going as far as neck profiles. I also have average to smaller hands for a 6'2" male.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:36 PM

I have the same feeling about V necks. I have a guitar that sounds great, but it’s hard to play because of that neck profile. It’s a love hate deal with that thing.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:38 PM

Sigh... A few years ago, I bought a used D-18VS. It's exactly what I want in a 6 string guitar, the tone is incredible, the slope shoulder, slot head, 12 fret configuration is just what I want.

But noooooo!

I also thought that I could get used to the mod-V neck, but it just kills my fretting hand. Playing it for more than a half hour is more than I can manage.

The poor guitar sits in its case, unused. Drives me nuts..

Reid

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-21-2018 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Edited details
Old 05-20-2018, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Love a V neck. Just my opinion.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:29 PM

The Modified-V neck can take a bit for some to get used to especially if they've come from electric guitars. I have found that if you don't over-squeeze the neck and use the back of the neck for light support of your fretting hand, it is hardly noticeable. My favorite Martin neck is the Performing Artist Low Oval but I own every neck profile they produce and go between them without issue.

For anyone with an issue with the Modified-V neck but otherwise like their guitar, you can have the profile reduced for minimal price and get it dialed in the way you want.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:27 PM

One's preferred neck profile is dependent on a number of factors, but mainly the hand size, finger length and the way you "grip" the instrument. I have always inadvertently gravitated to soft V neck. I have relatively large hands, medium long fairly slender fingers. So the soft V tends to give me enhanced leverage through my palm without gripping it like a baseball bat. It's V is soft enough that I can still put my thumb behind the neck as you would a flatter neck when necessary, but in my hand is more comfortable and less fatiguing than a C shape. Another aspect to factor in is nut width. I know I wouldn't get along with a v shape and a 1.75" nut though I do fine with either separately.

If you want to see if you're going to take to your Martin, perhaps you might try playing it exclusively for a few weeks in hopes that you'll just adapt to it. The hands have a strange way of morphing when required to do so. And then there are those necks that just defy you and you'll never get used to them.

Good luck.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 05-20-2018, 08:37 PM

I owned a Martin CEO-7 with the Mod-V profile. I totally and completely loved the sound of this guitar, and I tried for two years to adjust to the neck profile -- but when I tried a Huss & Dalton 00 guitar with a very simple medium C profile neck - well, the CEO-7 was quickly sold.

I currently own a Martin CS-00-21 with a MLO neck (non-PA). It's a bit thin compared to my H&D but I tolerate it because the sound of this guitar is so good (and the neck is not as troublesome as the Mod-V). Wish MArtin did something like a medium C.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:49 PM

The Mod-V neck is like a PAF in some ways: every single one seems to be different and it's hard to pin down exactly what they are.

The Mod-V neck in my CEO-7 often caused me discomfort with the thumb on my fretting hand. bit the "same" neck on my 000-18GE fit really well. Neither is as perfect for my hand as whatever the carve is on my Bourgeois Country Boy Deluxe OM, but the 000 was much better than the CEO.

Nick
Old 05-20-2018, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

The older I get, the more I like a chunky neck. And a bit of a V is just fine with me.

I sold my D-18VS with the Modified V neck to purchase my Santa Cruz 1929 00. I love that little guitar, but wish it had a fatter neck. It does have a V neck, but not a nice fat one like the Martin.

I really like the Modified V.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:40 PM

I love the Modified V neck on my D-18GE. I can play for hours and hours regardless of whether I’m playing straight rhythm or focusing on lead lines and solos. I dislike the thin neck on my OOOC-16 so much that even though it sounds good the only reason I might keep it around is for my daughter to play when she gets big enough. I’m not a pencil neck fan at all.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Hi OP. I'm not a fan of Martin's mod-v neck at all. Actually, I dislike pretty much all of Martin's modern necks. The only one I tolerated for a while was the MLO with PA taper neck... pretty much a medium thickness very soft v in 1st position, flattening out to a shallow C past the 5th fret up. But even that one I find not thick enough these days for my larger hands, so I have no Martins in my collection at the moment and don't foresee owning any in the near future either.

I love the older Martin necks...like the one on my choir director's 1970 D-35. Basically a rounded, medium depth C shape throughout the entire length. The 1 11/16 nut width is a problem, but that's a different story (I need 1 3/4 nut).

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion