The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-20-2018, 12:35 AM

Tonight is a tough one. Nap, shower, nap shower....

Oy vay.

I cannot imagine jumping up and down now
Walking is fine.

Lying down...horrid
Old 05-20-2018, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Hi Davis,

I am sorry you are going through this. What a shame. I hope it's over soon.

- Glenn
Old 05-21-2018, 08:26 AM

Ten years ago I had a small stone. The Urologist prescribed Flow Max and the stone passed without issue. This year my physician found a larger stone during my routine physical. For this stone, the urologist sent me for the shock wave lithotripsy. The procedure went well and was painless. For the following two weeks I peed through a filter and managed to collect some sand particles. I'll be going back to the urologist the end of June for a follow up visit. I hope the darn thing is gone!
Old 05-21-2018, 09:05 AM

I feel your pain!!
Though it's been over 25 years, I've had several in the early years. I confirmed with a woman in my office at the time that kidney stones are higher on the pain scale than giving birth.....according to her! My last one was "caught" in my tract and they moved it up into my kidney, put in a stent and then did the lithotripsy and blasted it in my kidney to break up the stone. I think stress and dehydration along with body chemistry were significant causes in my cases.
Hang in there.........very tough to go through this. We all talk cranberry juice in these times!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 05-21-2018, 01:39 PM

i've had four so i feel your pain. the last one i had, they gave me morphine and it didn't do a thing for the pain. they had to give me another shot. my recuperation period was lengthened tho due to it.

everyone has given you their ideas which i agree with the cranberry juice, warm water, walk around a lot to help it to move on down the line, and advil.

afterward, drink plenty of warm water and try to stay away from cold liquids if you can. also, chew your food very well, particularly things like almonds or peanuts.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 05-21-2018, 01:50 PM

I had my first driving home from a concert. It went from a 2 to a 10 in about an hour. If my wife hadn’t been with me I’d have had to pull over on the shoulder of the road and call an ambulance. As it was, she drove and I flopped around like a fish out of water in the back of an SUV with all the seats down.
Heating pads on my kidneys helped the pain somewhat. But, not much.
They suck. You have my sympathies.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:33 PM

Three thoughts:

1. Sorry to hear it, man. Hope this thing ends soon for you.

2. Years ago, a roommate of mine thought he'd pulled a back muscle. Then he thought he had gotten the flu. Then he thought he had appendicitis, for which he went to the hospital. Turned out it was kidney stones. Until then, I had no idea how many crazy symptoms a kidney stone could cause.

3. What is the point of the filter/sieve thing? Once you pee it out, is there a benefit to physically having the actual stone?
Old 05-21-2018, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Three thoughts:

1. Sorry to hear it, man. Hope this thing ends soon for you.

2. Years ago, a roommate of mine thought he'd pulled a back muscle. Then he thought he had gotten the flu. Then he thought he had appendicitis, for which he went to the hospital. Turned out it was kidney stones. Until then, I had no idea how many crazy symptoms a kidney stone could cause.

3. What is the point of the filter/sieve thing? Once you pee it out, is there a benefit to physically having the actual stone?
1. Same here.

2. Me too. They make my physically ill, and the first one I had I thought was a low back problem.

3. They analyze it. To try and come up with prevention strategies. I believe there are 2 types, calcium based and uric acid? I sent gallons of urine off to Minnesota and they sent back a whole list of stuff not to eat.....
Old 05-21-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
I sent gallons of urine off to Minnesota and they sent back a whole list of stuff not to eat.....
Can you share that list with us or what you remember?
Old 05-21-2018, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Having dealt with a large stone, I did some serious research and Renavive http://renavive.com/ shrunk my big stone down, after serous back pain. It rounded the jagged edges and made it easy to pass after a few weeks of taking the Renavive...I now take a maintenance dose twice a week. IT WORKS and it dissolves all types of stones.

Best healing wishes,

eric
Old 05-21-2018, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Can you share that list with us or what you remember?
Hi Davis,

I don't remember everything and I wouldn't advise anyone else to try to follow the diet because it was tailored to my particular types of stone and body chemistry. And it wasn't exactly don't eat this stuff (because there are a lot of good foods on the list), but more like be careful, and if you do eat them take some calcium at the same time so they bind up with the calcium and pass out of your system rather than stay behind (I'm no chemist and I could have that bass ackwards )

I was also put on a high dosage of tums for the calcium and a diurectic. I didn't like either of those and didn't last very long. I may be due for another incident

Coffee, black tea (green and herbal are ok), chocolate, spinach, some berries. Lots of other but those are the ones I remember, I think they call them oxalates or something like that. It wasn't really anything I was willing to follow too closely, as I've only had 2 episodes in 30 years (although the last stone was a monster and there are some more little brothers in waiting).

The main take away was to drink water every day, all day. Urine should be clear or pale, not yellow. As I understood it that was a lot more important than the diet.

Best wishes!
Old 05-22-2018, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Not something you want to mess around with. I waited too long to go to the hospital. My left kidney was blocked and I was in excruciating pain for a long time. I've had them before and thought I could just wait it out.

Now my left kidney has failed completely. No coming back.

Again, don't mess around them.

Good luck to you. I feel your pain.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

I had two large kidney stones, which required outpatient procedures (2004, 2006). And I had a couple of smaller stones, which passed normally. Definitely painful experiences, either way.

My best advice is to drink plenty of water --- both now and also when you're not having a kidney stone episode. Poor hydration can increase the chances of a kidney stone.

Also, this may be folklore, but when I had my last stone, someone at the ER (where my wife also works) told me that he stopped having stones when he switched from Pepsi to Coke products. We made the same switch, and I haven't had a stone since (over 10 years). Coincidence? Perhaps.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic