The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-14-2018, 10:41 PM

Default Latency issue using M-Audio Fast Track Pro

Hi,

Recently when adding extra tracks I'm noticing a slight delay on the new tracks compared to original. I've recorded 2 albums using this device and never had this problem before. Have not adjusted anything differently. I am using a different set of strings to record the newest track. Could that make a difference? Also if the string is not precisely tuned to match the original track, I suppose that could be simulating a type of chorus/delay effect. Any suggestions? It's almost impossible to add additional tracks if everything isn't going to sync up. Thanks..
Old 01-15-2018, 08:51 AM

Your DAW should automatically do that, you may want to reinstall your drivers.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-15-2018, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
"It's almost impossible to add additional tracks if everything isn't going to sync up."
Given that there is always some amount of latency in any DAW recording that uses native processing, the question becomes how much, and how noticeable it is ? Which includes tons of possible variables

With the scant amount info you have provided only the most general and completely non-targeted speculation is available .

Anything is possible but I would think new strings is probably towards one of the least likely issues . One simple test would be to do a quick new session and just record a very short piece ( 10 or 20 seconds ) with the new strings twice , and see if you are still getting the latency.

Beyond that : Probably and very generally one or more, of a few possible things is happening

#1 your critical listening skills have simply progressed to a level that you are now noticing a latency that was always there.
#2 something has caused a slowdown in the processing capability of the hardware you are using (computer or the M audio interface)
#3 something in the file system has become overloaded or corrupted that is causing slower processing
#4 you have in fact have inadvertently changed something in your workflow you are not aware of.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD