The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-20-2016, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Wow, this is a really good problem to have. One of Collings finest models vs a great Martin Authentic.

I love the rear-shifted braced Martins. There is still PLENTY of bass, but it is more controlled and there is no woofiness that can sometimes plague the forward shifted braced 28 series dreads. The mids and trebles are enhanced with this bracing pattern as well -- something most Martins could use more of.

They sound nothing alike. Vintage tone vs more modern tone, take your pick. Is having a non-adjustable truss rod in the Martin a deal breaker? How about the take it or leave it 1 11/16 nut and 2 1/8" string spacing? The D1A can be had in multiple neck configurations and has an adjustable truss rod. The Martin will be more forgiving to play. The Collings will brutally punish you for less than perfect fretting technique.

I'd personally take the Collings...by a nose.

Good luck

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 11-20-2016, 09:51 PM

Without playing/seeing them, I'd have to say the D28 because Martin created the original dreadnought -- and when it comes to classic instruments I like to stick with the original brand.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:42 PM

It's tough to say without playing them, but put me down for another Martin vote. I'm another guy with a "the Martin D28A '41 was the best sounding guitar I've ever played" type of story.

I'd love to have one, but it's not practical for me right now. They're pricey and I can't justify the price without being able to make it a gigging guitar (I use Fishman USTs and these have a long glued saddle). I do have a D18A '39, though and it is the best sounding acoustic I've ever owned - second best I've ever heard It's more comparable to the Collings you're looking at. I've never played a Collings that's come close to my Martin.

As far as truss rod concerns, yes, the Martin Authentic series use a T-bar truss rod that cannot easily be adjusted. BUT, the idea is that it won't need to be adjusted, not any time soon. There are lots of threads on this topic on all the big forums. Check some of those out - lots of guys have had Authentics for several years with no issues. They just don't move.
#3 Album on the Folk DJ Charts Apr 2016
Winners of American Songwriter Magazine's 30th Anniversary Song Contest
"An incredibly promising debut" -Maverick Magazine
www.thedeephollow.com
Old 11-21-2016, 09:03 AM

let your ears and hands answer the question for you!

Nice post Wade, agree 100%
Old 11-21-2016, 09:26 AM

I own the D-28A 41 so thats the one I have to put my vote towards. I've only played one D1A, but have played several D1's. Nice guitars but different from Martin and Martin is what I prefer.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:48 AM

a different pair but less different from each other than the two mentioned. I have a Collings DS2H (12 fret D-28style) and a Martin D-28 Authentic 1931. Both great guitars but not sure that I could guess which is best. They are quite different sounding but visually identical. I'll definitely keep both.

Last edited by lt20dbl; 11-22-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:06 AM

As a buyer for a major Japanese store at one point years ago, I had at least 20 Collings come through my house. I checked everyone of them before shipment. Thy ranged from triple ought style to Brazilian dreads.

I could never get into them. The finish on most of them looked and felt like plastic. The sound was drier than dust to my ears. My '05 D18A, which I compared to them when they came in, pretty much stomped them to my taste in guitars.

But that is not to say they aren't guitars of choice for many pickers. Some players love them. There is also the second-hand sale factor -- I don't think Collings guitars hold their value as well as Martins. They seem harder to sell used.

YMMV YMMV YMMV...
Old 11-22-2016, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittoon View Post
A "non-adjustable" truss rod just does not sound quite right to me. The (typical) adjustable truss rod wouldn't have developed if there were no need for such a feature.
Can't understand why Martin is making a modern version of an old design and not including an adjustable truss rod - maybe some day they will.
It would be like Chevy or Ford recreating some old classic production models, complete with carburetors and drum brakes.

(do you really want to deal with all that again?)
Old 11-22-2016, 03:50 AM

What part of "Authentic" do you not understand? It is a concept that does not appeal to everyone but there are plenty of choices for those for whom it does not.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:28 AM

Thank you all. As you can probably tell by my name I am a left handed player. Both guitars were out of state so no chance to play either one. I went with the Collings D1a.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowlefty View Post
Thank you all. As you can probably tell by my name I am a left handed player. Both guitars were out of state so no chance to play either one. I went with the Collings D1a.
A NGD to follow? Enjoy. That's a good one!
Old 11-22-2016, 02:05 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montesdad View Post
Can't understand why Martin is making a modern version of an old design and not including an adjustable truss rod - maybe some day they will.
It would be like Chevy or Ford recreating some old classic production models, complete with carburetors and drum brakes.

(do you really want to deal with all that again?)
Some (me included) feel the T-bar is an important tonal component in prewar Martin guitars. So, if I'm paying for that type of guitar, I want to get as close as I can. For that matter, 1/2" steel T-bar Martin necks are extremely stable and virtually trouble free.

I know car guys who absolutely love the feel of a carbureted engine. Fuel injection engines might outperform them on modern tracks, but they don't feel the same. I use new and vintage fountain pens daily for similar reasons - I like how they feel and perform.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt20dbl View Post
What part of "Authentic" do you not understand? It is a concept that does not appeal to everyone but there are plenty of choices for those for whom it does not.
"It is a concept that does not appeal to everyone" - to wrongly use a word.

authentic
ɔːˈθɛntɪk/
adjective
adjective: authentic

of undisputed origin and not a copy; genuine.
"the letter is now accepted as an authentic document"
synonyms: genuine, original, real, actual, pukka, bona fide, true, veritable; sterling;
attested, undisputed, rightful, legitimate, lawful, legal, valid;
echt;
informalthe real McCoy, the genuine article, the real thing, your actual, kosher, honest-to-goodness;
informaldinkum;
raresimon-pure
"the first authentic Rubens in the museum's collection"

think reproductions, reissues or just plain copy's.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:41 PM
Guest 1928

It's "Authentic Series" not "authentic" anything. It's a name that describes a product line. Martin also uses "Vintage Series" and "Golden Era". Those guitars are not vintage, nor were they made in the 1930's golden era.

And it's not just Martin. Bourgeois has a Vintage line of guitars. Collings has a Traditional series that still uses their modern bolt-on neck, and they have a Vintage Now neck neck shape. They are just names used to differentiate one product line or feature from another.

I fail to see a problem with similar usage by any manufacturer. It's only confusing if you choose to make it so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westman View Post
"It is a concept that does not appeal to everyone" - to wrongly use a word.
think reproductions, reissues or just plain copy's.
copies
Old 11-22-2016, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
. .....

I fail to see a problem with similar usage by any manufacturer. It's only confusing if you choose to make it so.
Ok, let's just avoid discussing "genuine" mahogany

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion