The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-21-2018, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
I don't shoot either but its interesting to learn about it here.
Same for me. If I ever wanted to get a gun, I think this would be a good source for advice.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 05-22-2018, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
As far as 9mm ammo, was wondering if anybody here has tried the NovX brand featuring the stainless aluminum cases and a polycarbonate copper matrix, FLUTED projectile which supposedly delivers devastating terminal performance with 25% less felt recoil. The +P bullet at a mere 65 grains is stepping out of there at around 1700 FPS! They advertise this round as creating wound channels unlike any 9mm self defense cartridge has ever made before. That’s quite a claim. I plan on picking up a box of this soon and giveing it a whirl in my Sig 226.
It's akin to the latest greatest handful of miracle guitar strings, as far as I'm concerned. They all sound just fine though we all have our personal favorite...

We can debate internal ballistics all day long, but bottom line is the garden variety 115-147gr (in 9mm) JHP bullets have proven themselves as effective as anything else; even to include the other standard pistol cartridges like 40SW and 45acp.

Clint Smith coined the phrase "A handgun is merely a weapon used to fight your way back to your rifle "... It's true; pistols are weak and lame compared to a rifle.

By the way, the 226 it's a fine piece of hardware! Nice choice!

Last edited by HodgdonExtreme; 05-22-2018 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Corrected quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
It's akin to the latest greatest handful of miracle guitar strings, ...

That pistol ammunition is probably totally illegal for a mere mortal to possess where I live. I'd check that it feeds in my pistol, and I can hit anything with it, before carrying it for "just in case".

I carried a P226 during a government temp job in Lebanon. Well engineered and built, certainly, but the grip was too bulky for my hands. I managed to shoot it well enough anyway.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-22-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
I am not into weapons either, but I find the variety of topics in the Open Mic forum to be quite interesting, and this one is no exception. All the other sub-forums focus on guitars.

Somebody mentioned Claymores. I had to set these out on a number of occasions in Vietnam. When you were at a small firebase, that was part of guard duty, setting them out at night and disarming them in the morning.

A guy can really be "hurtin' for certain" if you don't do it right.

Tony
"Front Toward Enemy"

Old 05-22-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
It's akin to the latest greatest handful of miracle guitar strings, as far as I'm concerned. They all sound just fine though we all have our personal favorite...

We can debate internal ballistics all day long, but bottom line is the garden variety 115-147gr (in 9mm) JHP bullets have proven themselves as effective as anything else; even to include the other standard pistol cartridges like 40SW and 45acp.

Jeff Cooper coined the phrase "a pistol is only good for fighting your way back to a rifle"... It's true; pistols are weak and lame compared to a rifle.

Yup, LOVE my 226. Have had it for many, many years and it’s the one handgun I would NEVER get rid of for any reason. TOTALLY reliable with any ammo out there. And 15+1 is good to have in any situation where a stop to change mags could cost you your life. Also muzzle flip is negligible in the 226 allowing fast follow up shots. Mine was made in Germany before they moved to the States.
Sig makes top of the line firearms and imho you can’t go wrong with any product put out by Sig Sauer.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMan View Post
"Front Toward Enemy"
Yes! Remember which part is "front". When you've seen the damage those things can do, you never forget to read the front.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

Last edited by tbeltrans; 05-22-2018 at 07:25 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic