The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-19-2018, 03:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Suggestions of worship music please

One of my students is very interested in learning worship music or tunes that have a general religious type vibe. I've used "How Great Thou Art", "Amazing Grace" and a couple of traditional bluegrass tunes by AKUS such as "When God Dips His Pen." He is an intermediate level player, can strum, change chords, finger pick a bit. I am woefully ignorant of this genre and would appreciate some suggestions of songs that would be do-able with one acoustic guitar & vocals. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2018, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
One of my students is very interested in learning worship music or tunes that have a general religious type vibe. I've used "How Great Thou Art", "Amazing Grace" and a couple of traditional bluegrass tunes by AKUS such as "When God Dips His Pen." He is an intermediate level player, can strum, change chords, finger pick a bit. I am woefully ignorant of this genre and would appreciate some suggestions of songs that would be do-able with one acoustic guitar & vocals. Thanks!
If they're looking for newer stuff you might check out the CCLI top 100 or something like praisecharts.com. Those lists might give you both something more to choose from.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:32 AM

"Worship songs" usually means the newer music that is very popular among non-denominational bible-based churches that have bands. These aren't the newest ones, but they are classically popular and easy to sing and play.

Open the Eyes of My Heart
Here I am to Worship
How Great is our God
Come As You Are
Lift Your Name on High

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 04-19-2018, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

Rend Collective has been generous enough to post chord charts for most of their releases on their website. This band's music is quite popular in the contemporary worship world-I led worship last night with two of their songs and the 20 somethings who spoke to me afterwards were appreciative (and impressed that at 61 I was aware of the band!)
Old 04-19-2018, 09:19 AM

I think you are referring to contemporary christian music. Sounds like pop/rock but has christian messages. Different from traditional gospel. If he is intermediate, it should just be a matter of picking a song and learning the chords and rhythm. So not sure what he is coming to you to learn, especially if you are not familiar with the genre. You can look up Chris Tomlin. He is a name in that genre.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:42 AM

Okay. A lot of speculation here. Probably need to hear from people who know this music. Anyway, this is my main gig in music, so I'll offer this:

Praise and worship is a specific genre, somewhat independent of "contemporary Christian". If that's what he's talking about, search "praise worship" on spotify and YouTube. There are tons of tutorials etc. The most popular songs nationwide are here: https://www.praisecharts.com/songs/ccli-top-100-songs/

reported by all churches for licensing purposes.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:53 AM

My add is an old standard.

Faith of Our Fathers

Doyle Dykes released a wonderful album of praise and worship music a few years ago.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 04-20-2018, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
Hi cfm

I went to YouTube and searched the phrase 'Worship Music', and about the 4th item down the page was a video labeled…

Top 40 Worship Songs (CCLI March 2018)…which is a playlist (with videos in it). It features a good cross-section of worship songs past and present, and if you ask your student if he recognizes/likes any of them, you'd be on a good start.

Worship music is as diverse as any other genre these days, with styles ranging from rock bands to more traditional Organ/Piano/Choir, and of course extends into the backwoods, and the Black community as well all writing and contributing.

I've trained a bunch of worship leaders and had many students from local churches over the past 37 yrs of teaching. There are some great songs 'out there' in the Worship realm.

If your student attends a local church, and they do contemporary worship music, perhaps they could help build his chart collection.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-20-2018, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

If you mean CCM, you can't go wrong with the CCLI Top 100 (as other users have mentioned). You also could try asking him what songs his church sings--that wouldn't be a bad place to start.
Some of my personal favorites to play on guitar are:
You'll Come (Hillsong)
Consuming Fire (Tim Hughes)
Blessed Be The Name (Matt Redman)
Since he's an intermediate player, none of these should pose muchdifficulty.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write