The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-10-2019, 06:00 AM

Default iPhone 6-s blacked out...

I bought my Granddaughter a 6-s at Walmart a few months ago. She has Straight talk and it was a good deal at 149.00. Now I see on the news they are having issues, and sure enough, hers died.

I called Apple and they made an appointment at the local Best Buy for Saturday, I guess Best Buy is an Approved repair center.

But now I wonder if they (Best Buy) can actually fix this issue? Sounds like a component failure.

Just curious if anyone here has dealt with either issue. A teenager with a cell phone problem is an emergency, ya know....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 10-10-2019, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

I watched a comedian talking about time travel last night. He was asking if anyone had a charger for an I-Phone 17 (!?)

Hope your get your teenager's phone sorted.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:25 AM

There's an official in or out of warranty repair program for those phones so it will be straightforward if the serial # is in range.

I know BestBuy's an authorized repair center now but I still suggest an Apple Store if you don't really know the particular independent is really good or depot repair. My experience with Apple Stores is you have the best chance of just getting a new or refurbished device.

I hope she's had her backup settings set up and verified. If not make sure she does when this is resolved. When I know the backup is good I just go or send our staff to early day Apple Store appointments. If they can repair it in house you're likely good to go or with a new phone by bed time.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
There's an official in or out of warranty repair program for those phones so it will be straightforward if the serial # is in range.

I know BestBuy's an authorized repair center now but I still suggest an Apple Store
The closest Apple Store is many hours drive one way.

The lady from Apple said it's within the serial number for the problem. Hopefully if Best Buy can't fix it, they'll simply replace it with one that doesn't have a problem.

Old 10-10-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
The closest Apple Store is many hours drive one way.

The lady from Apple said it's within the serial number for the problem. Hopefully if Best Buy can't fix it, they'll simply replace it with one that doesn't have a problem.
That should make you just fine. Having a backup is the important part.

My mother and some friends are in same distance from store situation. Now that BestBuy's an authorized servicer it should be much better off than when they did their independent Geek Squad Apple repairs and warranties.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:17 AM
G625 mistral-k

Two of our local Best Buy's have Apple employees in the store, working the Apple section of the store, so perhaps the same is true for the region where the OP has the issue. Best of luck in getting the issue resolved.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:11 AM

Do they even sell those anymore? From what I've seen they won't take them as a trade in toward a new phone and that 7's are considered the oldest viable platform. My wife and I just traded in our obsolete iPhone SE's (which are basically iPhone 6's in a 5S body) and we only $40 credit for each.

We ended up buying an iPhone 8 for our 12yo, but even he has been expressing a resistance to peer pressure. All his classmates have had X's and I wouldn't be surprised if a few had the new iPhone 11.

Don't be surprised if your granddaughter starts lamenting about "needing" a new phone soon. When that happens, get her a Samsung. They're cheaper and historically more durable. Apple's dirty little secret is that all their products are designed to go obsolete after 3 years on the market and their warranties are worded in such a way that ultimately it will cost less to replace than to repair. Believe me; I sank a LOT of money in my old SE. A new battery alone cost $200.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Do they even sell those anymore? From what I've seen they won't take them as a trade in toward a new phone and that 7's are considered the oldest viable platform. My wife and I just traded in our obsolete iPhone SE's (which are basically iPhone 6's in a 5S body) and we only $40 credit for each.

We ended up buying an iPhone 8 for our 12yo, but even he has been expressing a resistance to peer pressure. All his classmates have had X's and I wouldn't be surprised if a few had the new iPhone 11.

Don't be surprised if your granddaughter starts lamenting about "needing" a new phone soon. When that happens, get her a Samsung. They're cheaper and historically more durable. Apple's dirty little secret is that all their products are designed to go obsolete after 3 years on the market and their warranties are worded in such a way that ultimately it will cost less to replace than to repair. Believe me; I sank a LOT of money in my old SE. A new battery alone cost $200.
At least a few weeks ago we still got trade value for the older models. There are models no longer on Apple's site or in their stores but sold as promo items by cellular carriers.

Numbers can take the fun out of things. We have approx 750 employees. With that and vendor or market requirements we have a lot of company owned Apple & Samsung where the CFO watches life cycle and costs. The reliability and repair-ability are why Apple is the mobile platform where we have choice. As I type dozens of order pickers, managers and drivers are starting their work day with 5 year old older devices.

The rounded edge Samsungs - all the past few years - seem far more prone to damage than flat glass devices in rather basic cases but they are good products to don't get me wrong. We can never get the Samsung phones and tablets repaired with the speed and ease we can Apple.

When I join a "tech lunch" of area people who do similar work I learn others have similar or same experience. It's a bit like reactions to some brands of equipment in food and laboratory where people have some strong opinions but they ultimately know what works well overall and get that when they can afford the initial purchase price.

Some current models and recent models still available have been so good, plus have all screen design so I advise those if one can afford them. People after 11 series have created used inventory of XS Max. My suggestion is new or used late model all screen phones. I also see what works well because pretty much all of of those 750 employees use smart phones for the HR and payroll systems.

My bias is not so much just brand as much as what works well.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
My bias is not so much just brand as much as what works well.
This is it for me. Apple certainly costs more, but it all just works well - software and hardware are well thought out and play nicely together. My wife upgraded from her original 6 to an 8S and now to an XR. We kept her old 6 which is a now backup to my 6. If my phone dies, we swap sim cards and I'm back in action. I don't need anything fancier, as all it does is make calls, send/receive a few texts, and check emails remotely - no fancy or demanding apps.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:42 AM

One thing ive learned about apple -
is that you must have all your log in information as well
as any other thing you have on that phones
information stored somewhere for safe keeping
apples are hard to get into if you mess up.
we have a 5 and hopefully soon to be a 8 owner -
we like apple alot , but they can be a P.I.T.A
Old 10-15-2019, 10:01 AM

When I was a graphic artist I was an unapologetic Apple fan, but I was younger then and I soon realized that Apple fleeces people by charging them 2-3x the competition’s price for something that works as easily as a toy - until it doesn’t. Then it costs more money so in the end you find yourself paying several multiples of what the competition charges because their support and warranty is riddled with loopholes.

By the way the Apple iPhone XR is rounded and costs $800 if you don’t want to get roped into a new 2 year contract with your provider. My wife and I paid $40 each at the Apple store for a screen protector. The “genius” who installed it broke the first one putting it on. We resisted buying cases in the Apple Store knowing we could find something else for a fraction of the price on Amazon Prime. The following day, I knocked my XR off the table on to an asphalt surface and the screen protector cracked. Instead of waiting several more hours at the Apple stores I bought a replacement at Five Below. Guess how much I paid? I bought a case off Amazon for less than $20. It would have cost double that, $80 if I got the “Life proof” case - which I can tell you from first hand experience from my previous phone model is also junk.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:34 PM

A few points.

What Tony brings up really applies to all the major platforms. This will be more apparent to Microsoft users if not already as Windows 7 gets closer to end of life. Multi-factor authentication protects your private data. It takes away the easy street for someone owning you.

The Windows 7 end of life and end of life for 32 bit Mac apps plus new phone season has me buying a lot right now. Prices are very similar when your comparisons are fair. I'm buying Surface (Microsoft) and MacBooks this week. The similar product are that way for price. The work stations comparable to Retina iMacs are about the same prices. Sure you can go to a department store or online buy a discount craptop, but they're not the same as Apple and all the first tier Windows products.

Breaking phones? It happens to all of them.

I get how people have preferred brands and I have favorites but I'm responsible for it at scale so know well that many have misconceptions or misunderstandings. First tier stuff is more alike than many seem to admit.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:49 AM

Default UPDATE...

Apple sent my Granddaughter a brand new iPhone 6-S. It went to Best Buy and they called us and helped her set it back up last night.

We bought the phone new for cheap ($149.00) at Walmart 2 months ago. She uses Straight talk.

I must admit, because there is no Apple Store within 3 hours of here, the Geeks at Best Buy did a great job as an Apple Repair Facility. They were kind and patient with the kid, and great with me.

I always buy kids older model phones (new) because they are almost free that way !

Kudos to Apple and Best Buy...

Old 10-19-2019, 11:03 AM

After reading all the posts, I checked my I Phone and discovered that it is a 5S, I knew that it was an older version. Oh well, it's still working fine. Guess I'll keep it until it dies.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:54 AM

Buying an older phone may seem economical at first, but it’s almost always not worth it. The 6S came out 4 years ago, that’s just about ancient when it comes to cellphone technology. It won’t be long until Apple stops supporting the 6S and it won’t be able to update with the newest iOS updates. What happens when your phone can no longer support the latest iOS? You’ll have apps that won’t work anymore, but most importantly, you’ll miss out on the security updates.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic