The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Question installing Schaller mini tuners

Hi,

I got the neck on my rosewood tele/parts guitar today and started to fit the Schaller tuners into the pre-drilled holes on my Warmoth neck. Looks like the fit is just a bit too tight. I think they drilled the correct hole. It just looks a bit snug.

What's the best way to open up the hole a bit? I could use sandpaper or a reamer. I dont think I want to mess with a drill if I don't need to.

How tight should the tuners fit? I figured firmly by hand. Am I suppoesed to use a rubber mallet or something and get them into the tight hole instead?

Thanks for the help! I'll try to post some pics. It's just a partscaster - nothing like the fancy studd some of you guys are doing.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:41 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I watched a guy use a hand held drill on a 50's LP. I was horrified. He explained he was going slow and in reverse so it wouldn't grab. If you have a proper sized reamer I think it would be the ticket. You want snug but you shouldn't have to mallet them in.
Have any Peanutbutterfly and Jellyfish sandwich's with Ketchup lately?
Old 11-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guitars View Post
I watched a guy use a hand held drill on a 50's LP. I was horrified. He explained he was going slow and in reverse so it wouldn't grab. If you have a proper sized reamer I think it would be the ticket. You want snug but you shouldn't have to mallet them in.
Have any Peanutbutterfly and Jellyfish sandwich's with Ketchup lately?
Thanks! I think I'll try that today. We're talking about removing just a tiny bit of material.

I almost forgot you were YamahaJunkie! I finally turned that bad joke into a whole song. When I get it recorded I'll posted a link... There's nothing like a little peanut butter & jellyfish and a nice tall glass of sea cow milk followed by a big slice of octopi ala mode.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair