The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-30-2019, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I'm about to turn 56. I know a lot of people close to my age playing in very fun bands, though most are about 10 years younger. I'd love to be in a party band again, but due to health issues I don't have the energy to do the gig justice. I joined a low energy band playing 70s music, but I'm not having much fun so I'm leaving the group. I know that's no help, but wait, there's more.

My acoustic duo continues to play fairly regularly. Smaller gigs, but usually fun enough. Always high quality since I have a great singing partner.

BUT, here's where I get my greatest joy. I'm a cancer survivor and volunteer my time twice a month to play at The James Cancer Hospital at Ohio State University. It's a world class facility with a fantastic music program. I play twice a month for an hour in the lobby. I play for patients, family members, friends, doctors, nurses, staff and anyone else who walks through the lobby. I really get to visibly see the healing power of music this way. I see stress melt off peoples faces. I get to talk to people about what they're going through and I know it helps them. This is the most rewarding gig I've ever had.

Good on you, DavidE. That’s what a healthy dose of clarity can do for one’s vision of relevance. Thanks for sharing the music and love.
Play on.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:50 AM

Sheryl Crow, age 57, just announced that her new album will be her last one. She'll continue to release singles, but considers the album to be a dying art form.

bufflehead, age 65, hereby announces that he won't be releasing any albums in the future. No sense participating in a dying art form, right?

So now that the pressure's off, my guitars will gently weep.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:00 AM

I just read through music like reading books for enjoyment.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
When it was over, one of the the parents came up to me and said, "don't quit your day job." I just packed up my instrument and walked back to my desk without a word to anyone.
Somehow I think that person's comment had nothing to do with your guitar playing skill and everything to do with their horrible life & attitude.

Talk about rude & crass beyond belief. Probably the same kind of person who complains loudly about coaching at youth sports but doesn't volunteer to help.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:35 AM

I believe we remain/become relevant (as we age or any other time) is to be relevant as a human being first. If we operate outside of ourselves, in a manner not about ourselves, we become/remain relevant to others. If we focus on ourselves we immediately lose relevance as we are not contributing to anything around us. Be relevant to others and the music becomes the icing on the cake.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:36 AM

I'm 34 and have yet to find relevance and I feel old on the scene.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 08-30-2019, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
Ugh. You reminded me of my worst gig.

When it was over, one of the the parents came up to me and said, "don't quit your day job." I just packed up my instrument and walked back to my desk without a word to anyone.
I would have liked to have seen her perform in public!

On the other hand I am sure that many of us including myself have had positive comments like: "Do you have CDs?""That's the best interpretation of Johnny Cssh I've heard","Please play at my restaurant....nursing home....farmers market...." etc...

Gabe
Old 08-30-2019, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Regarding the original leading post: I believe that the answer is:are you relevant to yourself?

As long as you have a good feeling about what and how you play,the perception of anyone else is irrelevant .

Well when my dog howled during my harmonica playing..that's another matter!

Gabe
Old 08-30-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takamineGD93 View Post
How do we find relevance as an older musician? How do we avoid becoming just a silly old fart.

Any thought's?
Oh, boy, that resonates with me cause I just chickened out of a scheduled open mic that is usually populated with 20 somethings and 60 somethings. (Eddie Owens Presents in Duluth, GA)

The songs I've been writing since retirement and my singing and playing are almost too personal and idiosyncratic so I have zero confidence in presenting them. I consider them pop, or folk, but when I hear the stuff the "kids" are listening to, I don't hear much in common. I've resigned myself to performing exclusively to my houseplants and myself, and I'm slowing getting ok with that. . .
Old 08-30-2019, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbell View Post
I'm in my upper 50's and the only playing out I do is at church (praise band and other opportunities as well). I teach guitar classes one evening per week for anyone in our church that wants to learn to play. That evening makes for a full day! I've found teaching to be a lot of fun. It keeps me engaged with others, keeps me up with the music they're listening to (mostly contemporary Christian), and gives me the satisfaction of seeing them progress along their musical journey. One thing they all look forward to is what I call our "coffee house" event. They can invite their family and friends to hear them perform. Gives them an opportunity to perform for an audience, and a goal to work towards.
Very nice post... continue to make a joyful noise because it will always be relevant!!!
Old 08-30-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdmind View Post
I just read through music like reading books for enjoyment.
I'd like to get there someday (63 now), but my ego still craves recognition for all the work I've put in over the years! My audience is the other musicians at the local bluegrass and Celtic jams I go to. And yes, Ringo singing "You're Sixteen" was creepy.
Fender "Eric Johnson" strat
75' RI Fender Jazz bass
Old 08-30-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post
I would have liked to have seen her perform in public!

On the other hand I am sure that many of us including myself have had positive comments like: "Do you have CDs?""That's the best interpretation of Johnny Cssh I've heard","Please play at my restaurant....nursing home....farmers market...." etc...

Gabe
Yup. My favorite is "We have a show next spring and we need a music director/vocal coach/guitarist/tenor....."
Old 08-30-2019, 08:25 PM

One mustn’t confuse music with music business, they are not the same thing. You want relevance?
You get to a point where you’ve got more yesterdays than tomorrows. Spend your time wisely.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Easy...

Don't play Stairway or Smoke on the Water at GC

Seriously, although I'm not a musician, my advice is to just be yourself and enjoy it.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-31-2019, 12:51 AM

This is an interesting question. I need to answer it with another question. Relevance? Relevance to who?

I really don't expect to be very relevant to millenials as the music I may prefer pre-dates them by 50 years.

(Although I think it is a matter of what you are exposed to growing up. It wasn't my era but I really like the music of the Swing era.)

In a formal setting, I think any kind of music can be relevant.

If your talking about playing with others, then it is or should be what you have in common with other players. A good example is Bluegrass. A 16 year old and a 60 year old should both relate to one another, be relevant to one another if they both like and play Bluegrass.

Now, if you play classic Rolling Stones and the other person is into Ed Sherhan, relevance may not be there. ( I was told in conversation, that the Stones were a bunch of old geezers. Yes, they are. But I posed the question "who of the current generation's music will still be playing and drawing a crowd in 50 years?" )

Anyway, relevance depends on the people you associate with. Having a common interest, musically. Being open minded to some degree.

Of course, it must be the same for others.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion