The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-18-2018, 09:34 AM

Default Martin SP D at GC

Yesterday the GC by me had a Martin SP D on the wall that was unlocked and I could play it without asking. The guitar has a solid sitka spruce top and Ovangkol back and sides. The guitar is X Braced forward shifted. It has 1.75 nut. It is a dread limited edition. I played it and was totally amazed by it. I have played Ovangkol before due to owning a Taylor 410. It was a nice guitar, but was a little to bright for my taste. This Martin was really nice but had a warm touch to it. The looks is a little plain Jane but grows on you like a D-15M does. The guitar when finger picked was crisp, clear with a good sustain. It was a pleasure to finger picked. Strumming the guitar was great and I played Dusty Box Car Wall, Can't you see, Hotel California and Hey good looking. The guitar again was clear, crsip and articulate. Nice long sustain was obtained and had a good Martin growl with a very good Bass response in the low end and had really nice clear mid tone/treble response as well. This was a really good all around guitar that I can see for Country, Bluegrass and rock. I am contemplating going back on Friday this week and playing it again and bringing it home. The guitar does come with a strap button on the neck and has the electronics installed like the DRS2. Low profile neck like the performing artist model. This was one of those finds that was truly fun to see and play. I just wish I had the mdel number so I could exactly list the guitar.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:18 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Martin also has an all ovangkol model out as well. I played one and it was excellent.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-18-2018, 10:28 AM

Did you call them to have it held for you? I've learned that if you find a guitar that speaks to you, grab it! Especially with acoustics, a special one is special indeed...
Old 07-18-2018, 11:06 AM

I played this guitar the other day and was very impressed by the volume and resonance. I did not take to the tonal spectrum it produced, however.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion