The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-17-2018, 04:39 AM

Default Daytrip to Edinburgh

Hi all,

Getting too hot here in Finland.. 😀

No, thats not real reason why i'm travel to Edinburgh on thursday. I have about 5-6 hours time to go around the city.

Maybe i want to go play some guitars and buy a new strap and (ofcourse) some pics.. 😂

Any recommendations? I thought Guitar Guitar is a popular shop?

Maybe i have a time for a some sights too and a one cold beer..

Wish list:

Martin 000
Old 07-17-2018, 05:39 AM

Guitar Guitar is undoubtedly the premier guitar shop in Edinburgh, but it's a bit of a hike to get out there from the city centre.

I would suggest a visit to Red Dog music in the Grassmarket, which is right in the shadow of Edinburgh Castle. From there, it's only a few minutes walk to the castle itself and only a few minutes to the National Museum which is well worth visiting. Holyrood Palace is also within walking distance.

If you want a drink, I suggest you visit the Royal Oak in Infirmary St. ... they always have live music in the evening, but you may hit lucky and and hear somebody playing in the afternoon as well. Or you could borrow a guitar from behind the bar and entertain the customers yourself !

Enjoy your visit !
Old 07-17-2018, 06:34 AM

There is a weird tower built by Walter Scott (I think) that was a pretty trippy climb up for only a few bucks, not too far from the Center of town iirc. Not guitar related but it was pretty neat...
Old 07-17-2018, 06:38 AM

Oh, Scotland. I thought you meant Edinburgh, Indiana and its giant factory outlet malls and cuisine consisting of Elephant Ears and Tenderloin-on-a-stick.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
There is a weird tower built by Walter Scott (I think) that was a pretty trippy climb up for only a few bucks, not too far from the Center of town iirc. Not guitar related but it was pretty neat...
Yes, the Scott memorial, in Princes Street Gardens, not built by Sir Walter Scott but certainly built in memory of him. Again, well within walking distance of the other places I mentioned.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Oh, Scotland. I thought you meant Edinburgh, Indiana and its giant factory outlet malls and cuisine consisting of Elephant Ears and Tenderloin-on-a-stick.
We got malls and cuisine like that in Edinburgh, Scotland as well, if you know where to look ...
Old 07-17-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
A girl that worked at the old shop was ectsatic about the amazing deal she got on a trip to Moscow. Imagine her surprise and dismay when they refused rubles in Idaho...

But I digress...
Old 07-17-2018, 08:46 AM

I lived in Edinburgh in the mid-1970s. I pretty much hung out at Sandy Bell on Forrest Street which I gather is still going strong. It was where all the musicians could be found. They would be there in the back hunkered around the tables. You would run into everybody from Aly Bain on there. Every night the music would just pour out of the place. While I was there working on my thesis so spending my days working with the amazing Hamish Henderson, my other goal was to try and pick up some stuff on the fiddle. Problem was every time I walked in somebody tossed a guitar into my hands and wanted to hear some Rev. Gary Davis. Pretty good busking too which I did my share of.

Last edited by zombywoof; 07-17-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:04 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Ye must go tae see my wee little rock up in the castle. Let me explain.

In November 1996 when my brothers and my father went to London and visited Westminster Abbey, the vicar who took us 'round the place stopped us at the Coronation Chair, where England's kings and queens have been crowned for over 700 years. It seems that Edward I (Longshanks) had stolen the Stone of Scone from Scotland during the period of and it was encased in the Coronatipon Chair. After giving us the history, the vicar went on. "Take a good look," sez he, "because you in this tour group are going to be the last people to see this." He continued, "I can't say much, but the Stone leaves today to return to Scotland. Go home tonight and watch the news." Sure enough, that night the BBC announced that the chair had been disassembled and the Stone of Scone was being returned to Scotland as a goodwill gesture. By the time my little family travel group made it up to Scotland it had arrived. It's a nice little memory to peg my visit in time.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-17-2018, 09:07 AM

If I were in Edinburgh I would be looking for Scotch.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
Do they call it "Scotch" or just "whiskey"? You don't order Kentucky bourbon in Kentucky, you just order bourbon and the rest is assumed.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:52 AM

forget all things geetar - just take a saunter round the 'old Town' and if ya got time - the 'New Town' - I doubt u'll be there long enough to get 'trapped by the surface tension' - this happens regularly sometimes for month and even years
Old 07-17-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
The irony for me was that when I was in Scotland, I did not enjoy the taste of scotch very much at all. It was cheap, everywhere, good quality, just like I dreamed. But I didn't really enjoy it...
Old 07-17-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Do they call it "Scotch" or just "whiskey"? You don't order Kentucky bourbon in Kentucky, you just order bourbon and the rest is assumed.
Actually, we call it "whisky". We don't order "whiskey" until we go to Dublin ...
Old 07-17-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyB View Post
Edinburgh

beer..

Leslie's Bar, 45-47 Ratcliffe Street

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion