The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-16-2018, 07:38 PM

Default Yamaha vs. Martin DRS1

Have anyone ever played and compared a Yamaha guitar to a Martin DRS1?
Old 07-16-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusDriver View Post
Have anyone ever played and compared a Yamaha guitar to a Martin DRS1?
My OP is Martin, but you can choice DRS2 better
Old 07-16-2018, 08:50 PM

I have compared them but not that specific Martin model and you did not say what type of Yamaha. These two brands are as different as different types of apples. The key will always be what your ear likes. No brand is the "best" so do not fall into that trap. Play lots of brands and version. At some point you will play one chord on that one guitar.....and your eyes will light up.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:20 AM

Yamaha has a wide range of guitars. Do you have a specific model, line or price point in mind?
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 07-17-2018, 03:55 AM

I traded in my Yamaha Fs700 for a Martin 000rs1. Does that help?
Old 07-17-2018, 09:33 AM

I have a Drs2 and love it. Comparatively to the Yamaha A series there similar, but if you ask around here 6 will say the Yamaha is superior, the other half dozen will side the Martin. That's up to you. The Yamaha fg guitars are the best guitar at that price range in my opinion.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:25 PM

I have a DRS1 and I love it, the mahogany is awesome, I don't know much about Yamahas though.
Epiphone Sheraton 2 Pro
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Stratocaster MIM w/ noiseless pickups
Old 07-17-2018, 01:05 PM

I have a Yamaha A1M, laminate back and sides, solid top. I really like it. Then one day I was in a local music store and was checking out the Martins and Taylor’s. I saw a guitar on the wall that caught my eye. I picked it up and checked the label. It was a used Martin DX1. I’ve always turned my nose up at the Martin X series guitars but decided to play it anyway, tarnished strings and all. WOW!! Couldn’t believe the sound of this “glue and sawdust” bodied guitar! So now I own it and I’ll probably be selling the Yamaha in the near future. This DX1 is one of the early ones that was made in Nazareth. It may not sound any better than the ones made in Mexico but I thought it was pretty cool. This may not help with your inquiry about the DRS1 but just thought I’d share my recent Martin/Yamaha experience, and I really like Yamaha guitars!
Old 07-17-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmac62 View Post
I have a Yamaha A1M, laminate back and sides, solid top. I really like it. Then one day I was in a local music store and was checking out the Martins and Taylor’s. I saw a guitar on the wall that caught my eye. I picked it up and checked the label. It was a used Martin DX1. I’ve always turned my nose up at the Martin X series guitars but decided to play it anyway, tarnished strings and all. WOW!! Couldn’t believe the sound of this “glue and sawdust” bodied guitar! So now I own it and I’ll probably be selling the Yamaha in the near future. This DX1 is one of the early ones that was made in Nazareth. It may not sound any better than the ones made in Mexico but I thought it was pretty cool. This may not help with your inquiry about the DRS1 but just thought I’d share my recent Martin/Yamaha experience, and I really like Yamaha guitars!
Your experience shows that you should just play and judge on that, not the label.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Have compared my Yammy and Martin dozens of times. They are different flavors of ice cream.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:29 PM

After thinking I wanted a USA made Martin or Gibson, I played everything I could up too a Martin D-18/Gibson J15, Nothing held a candle to the A3M Yamaha I just sold to help fund this excursion ...
Finally, after playing about 20 or so guitars I came to the conclusion that I like the more modern designed and Tones
Because the guitars that did get close were the Martin GPAC's and especially the solid rosewwood back and side ones..
But honestly what you get for $1300-1600 in a Martin is a pretty plain jane guitar.. Sounds great..lots of Martin vibe but plain looking
What you get with Yamaha between $800-$1400 is a pretty nice guitar with a nice pickup system...binding on the neck and body...Just a beautiful guitar to hold to look at and the Tone to die for and yes it's a modern tone...
And if you want built-in effects to go along with an already great sounding guitar you can have it with Yamaha for $999 all solid guitar with rosewood back and sides..1 3/4 nut...
And that's the one that will be my next guitar an LL-TA
Old 07-18-2018, 08:29 AM

Does it really matter at all? Which brand, which model. It still all comes down to sound at least for me first and ease of playing second and looks third. Then add in the most important factor GAS. So you buy the guitar that you love today and still want one of those other models tomorrow. LMAO
Taylor 214e SB DLX
Old 07-19-2018, 10:01 AM

In terms of tone, there is no way to compare. Do you prefer waffles for breakfast over scrambled eggs??
Old 07-19-2018, 08:42 PM

I had a Yamaha LL16D at one time and it blew away every Martin and Taylor I put it up against. I have a new FG830 arriving tomorrow...we'll see how that goes. It won't be the same but still fun.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipguitar_pro View Post
Have compared my Yammy and Martin dozens of times. They are different flavors of ice cream.
Does your Yammy compare equally with the Martin in sound and build? They are both high end aren't they?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion