The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-12-2018, 04:46 PM

Default Another neck flex question

I may have celebrated my "NUGD" too soon. Just got a 2010 Taylor T5 on Reverb. Looks like new, plays very easy but I've just noticed it is very easy to flex the next and cause a very noticeable change in pitch (usually sharp - I assume because on some chords, esp. barre chords I'm putting a bit of downward pressure on the neck).

Question for the experienced members, T5/T5z owners out there. Is this normal for a T5 or similar guitars? I know "some" neck flex is to be expected but I was thinking I'd have to intentionally try flexing the neck. I've not read of this being a cronic problem with the T5 and am wondering if this is a "personal" problem or if there is something wonky with the T5.

I had my local Luthier check the T5 and he didn't see any obvious issues. Unfortunately, he was headed out for vacation and couldn't take the guitar in and take a really close look. I am a fairly "new" player and it could be a technique issue for me - so, wondering what experiences others have in this area.

Thanks for any input
Taylor T5 Standard (2010)
Old 07-18-2018, 06:06 AM

Default Reply from Taylor support

For anyone interested, I contacted Taylor customer support - the answers were:
1. Yes, a T5 neck does flex
2. The only suggestion that maybe causes "easier than usual" flex was to check the T-nut to ensure it is snug
3. Given my only other guitars are acoustic dreads, he suggested I'm just putting more pressure on the neck than needed due to being familiar with the acoustics

I'm still working at it. My move from open chords to barre chords are still sometimes producing a noticeable change in pitch but as a relatively new player, I assume it's a learning process for me.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:16 AM

My T5 neck doesn't seem to flex excessively, but I have a light touch.
Since it is a mahogany neck, it will move more than a maple neck on a bolt-on electric...
Old 07-18-2018, 01:18 PM

Sounds like a possible case of "death grip" to me. I've been there (still am in some respect), and am making an effort to rectify this. If fingering a barre chord requires enough force to bend the guitar neck, I'd be very careful, because I see a strain injury on the horizon, like tennis elbow. I'm dealing with the beginning stages of that now, which has caused me to re-evaluate my technique. A simple test that worked well for me is this: Play your guitar and finger a barre chord. Then, without changing anything, let go of the guitar with your fretting hand. The guitar should not move at all. When I used to do this, the guitar would swing outward, the neck moving away from me. The reason, I figured out, was that I have a tendency to clutch the guitar body too strongly with my right (picking) arm, which in turn caused me to grip the neck with my fretting hand, to keep the guitar in place. Mind you, I was doing this without being aware. I thought I was holding the guitar nice and relaxed, but as soon as my left hand let go of the neck, away it went. It took me a surprising amount of effort, awareness and posture evaluation to stop doing this. As a result, I now require much less finger pressure in my fretting hand. Also, sometimes a poorly set up guitar can cause you to press much harder on the strings than you should. Might want to check on your string action, too.
Good luck!

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 07-18-2018, 02:55 PM

Sometimes an instrument design will commonly cause the neck to be more flexible than usual, which is what you described with your Taylor T5. I have the same issue with the Deering guitar-banjo that I own:

Deering B6 guitar-banjo

It has what my repairman calls "a noodly neck." I keep a socket wrench of the correct size in the case pocket, because as often as not when I pull out the guitar-banjo the truss rod needs to be tweaked in one direction or the other. It's caused by the relative lack of structural support that the guitar-banjo neck has when compared to standard acoustic guitar necks.

But the other factor that can cause flexible necks is just the wood of the neck itself. Some neck wood is just more flexible, and this can affect the feel as you play.

whm
Old 07-19-2018, 09:13 AM

Default Neck Flex and "Death Grip"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
Sounds like a possible case of "death grip" to me. I've been there (still am in some respect), and am making an effort to rectify this. If fingering a barre chord requires enough force to bend the guitar neck, I'd be very careful, because I see a strain injury on the horizon, like tennis elbow. I'm dealing with the beginning stages of that now, which has caused me to re-evaluate my technique. A simple test that worked well for me is this: Play your guitar and finger a barre chord. Then, without changing anything, let go of the guitar with your fretting hand. The guitar should not move at all. When I used to do this, the guitar would swing outward, the neck moving away from me. The reason, I figured out, was that I have a tendency to clutch the guitar body too strongly with my right (picking) arm, which in turn caused me to grip the neck with my fretting hand, to keep the guitar in place. Mind you, I was doing this without being aware. I thought I was holding the guitar nice and relaxed, but as soon as my left hand let go of the neck, away it went. It took me a surprising amount of effort, awareness and posture evaluation to stop doing this. As a result, I now require much less finger pressure in my fretting hand. Also, sometimes a poorly set up guitar can cause you to press much harder on the strings than you should. Might want to check on your string action, too.
Good luck!
Thanks - have definitely checked the string action. This T5 is set up with light strings and low action. Very easy to play. I think the "death grip" issue may be coming in for chord changes where I'm not yet fully comfortable and I try to rush to the shape - e.g "Wild Horses", I still don't get from the G to the Bm and definitely flex to the point the strings go noticeably sharp. So - working on touch and getting more comfortable getting chord changes. I also think I may have developed a habit of clutching the guitar with my right hand/arm and it never caused any issues with either of my acoustics. Appreciate the input and am developing more self awareness to see if I can fix.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg56 View Post
I also think I may have developed a habit of clutching the guitar with my right hand/arm...
Yes. The neck cannot flex with respect to the body unless it is held at both ends. If you don’t clamp the body of the guitar, then the neck cannot flex.

I had a similar issue with a Gibson SG back in the ‘70s. I was used to playing a Stratocaster, and when I pulled back on the neck of the SG, the strings would ground out completely against the fret board. No issues with my ES-335 or Les Paul in later years.

George

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
t5 neck flex