The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-26-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Call Ted @ LA Guitars and ask for a deal on a new 000-15SM - may be the only acoustic guitar you ever need...
I have a preference for Taylor guitars, but if I were to buy a Martin, this one would be it.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHIGH View Post
000-15M if new. Or I would save $300 more and look for Post-2012 D-18 if you prefer Dread.
Everytime I am in GC I drift toward those all Mahoghany Martins. 000, om, d-15M... Whatever is on a hook low enough. They always sound great unless abused with rusted strings or terrible actions due to sitting for a while.

And who can argue with a D-18? Even one thats got some stank on it :-)

As long as it is structurally fine? great guitars and in your price range.

I just love finding used guitars. Kind of like an animal shelter. Old sad eyed dog in a kennel is like an old Martin on a hook needing strings and fret oil and a good rag cleaning.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:30 AM

I have a DRS2 and love it. Bought it used, in mint condition. Couldn't be happier. I also love the Yami A series guitars. Played a few great ones
Old 06-26-2018, 10:28 AM

I’d recommend saving up and looking for a deal on a used instrument somewhere in the standard series, but if you have to have something right now and not looking to upgrade or flip toward something higher end then either the D-16GT or the GC-MMV.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:44 PM

Default Overtones are where you find them.

From the first strum of the guitar, the overtones were apparent. After tuning, then new strings, they are overwhelming. Like I can almost hear a dozen tones among the six strings. Chords blends together, but, contrarily, each single note seems like a sonic event. The tone is three-dimensional, like a balloon that's been inflated. It's not clear or distinct; that's the beauty of it.

Does this sound like what you seek? OK, here's the details: it's not rosewood, but Cherry B&S, laminated. And a cedar top, that's the key. I got mine used for a grand beneath your budget, and, you guessed it, it's not a Martin. Check the third guitar in my sig for the name. Hard to find, now that they're out of production, but the Canadian cedartops are my gold standard for richness and overtones.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 06-26-2018, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

I know this isn't the advise you are looking for, but I've owned over 350 High end acoustic guitars and if I were looking at $1200 or less I'd be looking for a Breedlove and not a Martin. I personally feel to get something from Martin that is worth while tonally you need more like $1800 in the used market.

The Breedlove American stuff is a ton of bang for the buck and has super great overtone content for the money!!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 06-26-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Look for a used Martin OM-21. More tone per cubic inch than just about anything else Martin makes.

You might have to save up more money than $1200 to get one, but you might get lucky and find a "cosmetically challenged" one at that price. They're terrific guitars.

whm
Wade said it before I could....OM-21 is Martin's best bang for your buck in my opinion. Doesn't lose a step next to my other guitars and is better in many situations. Love mine!

Or D-18 if you need a Dread...
Old 06-26-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozehound View Post
Are you comfortable buying used? Can you stretch the budget a few hundred if need be? You are almost in the range of a used D18, which I would highly recommend over a Custom D or a DRS2. Get a standard series if at all possible. You will be glad you did.
I agree with this!

I looked at MFG's used inventory and didn't see a used standard D-18 listed, but Jon Garon is a resourceful guy. Give him a call at MFG and tell him what you are looking for.

A D-15M is a great guitar--all solid, great workmanship. That is something to think about...

Greg Rappleye

Last edited by Greg Rappleye; 06-26-2018 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Ideas!
Old 06-26-2018, 03:02 PM

If it is overtones you are looking for, I think you will be disappointed with the DRS2. If you must buy new, and want a Martin in your price range, you should be looking at the DRSG. The siris back and sides, as opposed to sapele, will provide you what you are looking for. I tried both last year, the differences in tone were striking, and ended up with a DRSG. YMMV.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

I would say a Martin D-15m if a dreadnaught is what you're looking for brand new in your price range. A smaller size could be the Martin 000-15M. They are both good sounding guitars.
Martin J-40 Adi custom 2018
Martin OM-28 Adi Gruhn Special
McPherson Sable
Fender American Professional II Telecaster
Fender American Professional II Stratocaster
Northfield Big Mon Engleman top
Northfield Big Mon Adirondack top
Companion custom woody banjo
Fender '68 custom Vibro Champ Reverb amp
Old 06-26-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
I know this isn't the advise you are looking for, but I've owned over 350 High end acoustic guitars and if I were looking at $1200 or less I'd be looking for a Breedlove and not a Martin. I personally feel to get something from Martin that is worthwhile tonally you need more like $1800 in the used market.

The Breedlove American stuff is a ton of bang for the buck and has super great overtone content for the money!!
Funny you say this..
I tried several Martins, Yamaha FG830, Breedlove Concert with a Cedar top($499) and an all Myrtlewood Breedlove and I kept going back to the CedarTop Breelove..It was full sounding, lots of bass and overtones...
I had the same reaction to an Epiphone Masterbilt EF-500RCCE ..Maybe a CedarTop is in my future? I find the tone very interesting...

But than an circle-jerk came in to show off all the first two lines of lots of Hit songs he knew strumming so hard on the guitar that the strings it bottom and he thought he was in a new tone territory and he wailed away at that poor guitar...
I just couldn't hear any overtones on any guitars so I left... And ignored him the whole time he begged for attention...Idiot
Moral of the story... I'm going to do more research on Breedlove

An all solid Redwood back and sides and cedar top in satin finish would be perfect...
Old 06-26-2018, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozehound View Post
Are you comfortable buying used? Can you stretch the budget a few hundred if need be? You are almost in the range of a used D18, which I would highly recommend over a Custom D or a DRS2. Get a standard series if at all possible. You will be glad you did.
Totally agree. Get a recent used D18 for a little bit more money. I have only needed one bit of warranty work required ever from reputable brands .... and not my Martins. That was a 10yo Santa Cruz, which technically i wasn’t eligible for not being the original owner. But they treat their customers well, whether first or second.

In today’s soft market you can get 2-3x the guitar buying used with some patience and deal making.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 06-27-2018, 03:20 AM

I'd go for the D15M or the OOO brilliant guitars . I love Yamaha acoustic guitars but I also love Hog Martins mines a OO. Good luck with the search
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 06-27-2018, 01:50 PM

Take a look at a D-15M for that price. Really warm sounding awesome guitar. I also would tell you if you can swing a tad more a D-16 GT and if you want to spend less then a DRS1.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:24 PM

Martin 000-15 would be my choice. I found one used in prime shape for about 60-70 percent of new, in the case with hang tags. All of my guitars, with the exception of the electrics ( because I just did not run across nice used ones I wanted), are used. Used does not mean trashed. Like the lady I bought my 000 from, she found out playing them is harder than it looks/ My D-28 was purchased as a first guitar from someone who lost interest in it. Deals are out there, look around.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion