The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-11-2018, 01:50 PM

Default Stetsbar added to AR425

I'm sort of catching up on some projects I've had spinning for a good long while. I just added this Stetsbar to my Ibanez Artist. I would have done so a long time ago, but in this case, it was necessary to drill into the top of the guitar to install wrap-around type bushings...I had some trepidation around that.

The trem works quite well, stays in tune, allows me to drop into open tunings without any readjustments and will play in tune if a string breaks. This has about the same pitch-change/travel as a well-set-up Strat trem.

Also, since I regard locking tuners as an absolute requirement with most trems, I've replaced the stock tuners with Gotoh 510 locking tuners. Unfortunately, the unit doesn't cover up the holes & dents from the old cloud tailpiece, so I've ordered one of those to put on under the end of the Stetsbar. As before when I added the Bigsby to my SG, the extra weight on the back end corrects a slight balance problem this guitar neck diving.

Before...

after...

Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 06-11-2018, 02:45 PM

Beautiful Artist you have. I've heard good things about the Stetsbar. Very cool!
Old 06-11-2018, 06:59 PM

Great job, looks great!
Old 06-12-2018, 06:38 AM

Looks good! Don't ya just love alt tuning on an electric?
Old 06-12-2018, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Looks very cool. How does the alt tuning feature work?
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 06-12-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
Looks very cool. How does the alt tuning feature work?
Basically, when the trem is used, the entire trem-plate on top of the baseplate moves...it moves the tailpiece and the bridge as one unit.

When this is set up for dive only, you can still up-trem a little bit, but mostly it just dives (which is how I set my Strat) and the tension on the trem plate itself doesn't change, so...broken string, open tunings, no effect on the tension, unlike the balancing act on a Strat, where the whole thing goes out of whack if you change tunings or break a string.

BTW, it also stays in tune if you do bent double stops or notes...it doesn't flex the bridge.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 06-13-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
I'm sort of catching up on some projects I've had spinning for a good long while. I just added this Stetsbar to my Ibanez Artist. I would have done so a long time ago, but in this case, it was necessary to drill into the top of the guitar to install wrap-around type bushings...I had some trepidation around that.

The trem works quite well, stays in tune, allows me to drop into open tunings without any readjustments and will play in tune if a string breaks. This has about the same pitch-change/travel as a well-set-up Strat trem.

Also, since I regard locking tuners as an absolute requirement with most trems, I've replaced the stock tuners with Gotoh 510 locking tuners. Unfortunately, the unit doesn't cover up the holes & dents from the old cloud tailpiece, so I've ordered one of those to put on under the end of the Stetsbar. As before when I added the Bigsby to my SG, the extra weight on the back end corrects a slight balance problem this guitar neck diving.

Before...

after...

That is an interesting mod to an already great guitar. I actually always wanted one of the Japanese Ibanez Artist guitars. I have a Yamaha SG700s which is very similar. But wow that is a beautiful top on your guitar.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwguitar View Post
That is an interesting mod to an already great guitar. I actually always wanted one of the Japanese Ibanez Artist guitars. I have a Yamaha SG700s which is very similar. But wow that is a beautiful top on your guitar.
Thanks! When they came out with this re-issue it was a must-have for me, since I stupidly sold my 1978 Artist 2612 (I think), and regretted it later; that one had the same tri-sound switching but it had the hotter Super 80 pickups, Gibraltar hardware, etc. I can't claim that these MIC re-issues are as good as the old MIJ originals, but they got about 95% of the way there.

They still make a current MIJ version of this, which I've never had in my hands, but they're quite a bit more money (about $2500.00). I would expect one to be just that much better. I only paid $400.00 for the one I had in the 70s.

The vintage ones also come up on Reverb frequently...I may break down & buy my old ax back one of these days, but I'm in a guitar glut right now & must refrain for a while. If I do, the Stetsbar will bolt right on it with no mods, unlike this new one.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars