The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-09-2018, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

FYI, I used the AG-6 with S-mic about 1/8 turn at my gig last night with no feedback problems and no notch filters. The volume level was average to
slightly loud..
The chain was Goodall RSC/AG6/Mesa Rosette DI/Bose T1/L1mod2.

Goodall MdRSC/Adirondack yr2018 + Sunrise
Goodall RSC/Sitka yr2001 + Sunrise
Goodall HRGCC/Italian yr2004 + Sunrise
Martin D-10E Sitka/Sapele MX-T
Bose L1 mod2, Pro8, S1 Pro, QSC K8.2, CP8
Old 07-10-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb View Post
FYI, I used the AG-6 with S-mic about 1/8 turn at my gig last night with no feedback problems and no notch filters. The volume level was average to

slightly loud..

The chain was Goodall RSC/AG6/Mesa Rosette DI/Bose T1/L1mod2.

What did you think of the sound?
Old 07-11-2018, 03:56 AM
Charter Member

The AG-6 / S-mic sounded great, as usual. I think in general we have established the pickup sounds great; it is just a matter of getting the best
out of it in a live environment. You mentioned in your posts that it was
great for recording, but at times in live situations you were fighting
feedback.

I am a sound hole pickup guy, and the AG-6 is my current fav. I have
a couple of gigs in the next week where I will be using my L1C instead
of my L1mod2. I have had no feedback issues so far in 2 guitars with
the L1mod2. I had to use a notch filter with my L1C with the AG6 in guitar #1.
I will be using guitar #2 on Saturday. I will let you know my results after that.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Default AG6

Just installed the AG6 in my Goodall baritone without the S1 (mistake when ordering/it's in the mail now). I only play finger style and mostly drop tuned slack key stuff in C or variations thereof. Been playing it plugged into my Kemper for a preamp and it's very nice. I play a lot late and night through studio monitors and just wanted to hear the beautiful resonance of the guitar a little more as well as have a way to record if the need arises. So far so good. Really looking forward to hearing it with the S1 added in. Thanks for all the reviews!
Old 07-11-2018, 09:11 AM

I’m not fighting feedback at all at 1/8 of a turn of the mic, and there is actually a healthy amount of mic in the mix at that level.

Like I mentioned before, the S-Mic is surprisingly well isolated from handling sound. If I touch the pickup or mic with my fingers I barely hear the touch and yet if I snap my fingers over the soundhole you hear that clearly over the mic. This gives the pickup a bias towards picking up “mic air” over handling noises which is actually great now that I realize what is going on. Before I realized this, I believe I was judging the mic volume by the body sensitivity and turning it up too much because of this.

I play jazzy fingerstyle and that combination of jazzy magnetic pickup and mic compliments that sound well. It reminds me very much of the sound Martin Taylor gets on his recordings which is a blend of his jazz archtop floating pickup and a condenser mic on the same instrument. I think I may even prefer it to the sound of a well miked guitar alone.

My soundhole pickups before this (M1, M80, and FS-1) all had adjustable pole pieces and I found myself making rather extreme adjustments (some as high as possible, others screwed all the way in, some removed entirely) in order to balance the volume of the strings. The AG-6 has no pole height adjustments but I find the string balance to be perfect. This must be because of the internal design of six individual magnetic pickups rather than just one broad pickup with individual pole pieces. Whatever it is, the balance between strings is perfect.

Some other things I noticed:

There is about a second delay when you plug it in before the volume fades up. This means that there is very little pop when you plug it in with the guitar cable live.

The pickup sounds great plugged into a mixing console without a directbox. If there is an impedance mismatch, I don’t hear it.

The endpin jack cable is compatible with the LR Baggs M1 or M80 one, but the cable is shorter so it doesn’t rattle around in the guitar. Also, the endpin jack seems to hold a guitar strap better.

I get no electrical hum or interference when I use a wireless transmitter that plugs directly into the endpin jack. With my Epiphone DR500MCE, this kind of transmitter would hum over the guitar pickup and preamp.

It really is my favorite acoustic guitar pickup right now. In fact I just bought a second one to put in my beater guitar (a used Martin HPL back and sides DX1). My M1, M80 and FS-1 pickups are currently up for sale on eBay.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:11 AM

Another gig and I'm getting more of a feel for exactly how much I can push the mic. Quite a bit actually! I couldn't have been happier with the sound tonight! I was plugged directly into a Behringer analog mixer with no preamp or external processing and it sounded just wonderful!
Old 07-15-2018, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Default S1 arrived

The S1 arrived yesterday. Played the Goodall through my Kemper and then into a GT Spacestation SFX MK2. Sounded so natural and good. I played until my fingers hurt last night. Very happy with this setup. I hope it fits in the smaller sound hole on my Char.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:41 PM

Has anyone tried the DYN-AG6 in place of the s-Mic?
https://www.schertler.com/en_US/shop/pickups/dyn-ag6

Just curious how the SBT sounds like mixed with the Mag pickup
1976 Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman #7670
Old 08-07-2018, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyOK View Post
Has anyone tried the DYN-AG6 in place of the s-Mic?
https://www.schertler.com/en_US/shop/pickups/dyn-ag6

Just curious how the SBT sounds like mixed with the Mag pickup
I just got one in for testing but have been so busy I haven't had the chance to test it. I'll post samples when that happens. The online videos sound really good
Old 08-08-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
I just got one in for testing but have been so busy I haven't had the chance to test it. I'll post samples when that happens. The online videos sound really good

I personally don’t like what I’ve heard of the YouTube demos of the DYN-AG6 nearly as much as those of the S-Mic, but that is probably more of a personal taste than value judgement. I’ll be interested in your opinion of how they compare. For a percussive style it would probably be very good.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post

Did you get to this yet? I’m really curious as to what you think.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock School Of Music View Post

Were you ever able to post samples somewhere?
1976 Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman #7670
Old 07-04-2019, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

fyi there are some videos of me using the AG-6 + S-mic at
ReverbNation.com/mikebearden

Both Sides Now, We won't get Fooled Again and Tenn Whiskey.
It may give you an idea of how the Schertler combo sounds if you
aren't laughing too hard at the performance.

Michael
Old 03-02-2021, 04:32 PM

I bought a guitar which came with this pickup. It's awesome! I can't believe how good it sounds through my electric guitar amp.

Old 05-11-2021, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Ikingston, what wireless setup do you use?
thanks Gary

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification