The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-17-2018, 06:18 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
They aren’t too far off from each other. It’s been a couple of years, but the two LeGeyts I played were fundamental-focused. The mahogany backed LeGeyt really knocked me out. Powerful and complex. I also had a mahogany Brondel a few years back. The power, projection, and fundamental/overtone balamce were very similar. I also adore Brondel guitars and can say LeGeyts also ring my bell.
I never saw this post from earlier. I agree with Juston; Laurent's oil varnish finish and this LeGeyt french polish are equally thin, and I believe they let the wood breathe a little better, and are certainly reminiscent of each other. I think the guitars benefit tonally, and not in a subtle way.

The LeGeyt CLM has moved on to a new owner, in sacrifice to a vintage OM, but I'll let the new owner chime in on this thread, if he wants to.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
I never saw this post from earlier. I agree with Juston; Laurent's oil varnish finish and this LeGeyt french polish are equally thin, and I believe they let the wood breathe a little better, and are certainly reminiscent of each other. I think the guitars benefit tonally, and not in a subtle way.

The LeGeyt CLM has moved on to a new owner, in sacrifice to a vintage OM, but I'll let the new owner chime in on this thread, if he wants to.
Well, the build thread continues with the living, breathing instrument. Maybe this will be a cradle to grave story. Only fitting for this instrument, I think.

Yes, I received this guitar two days ago, and it has been hard to put down. Easily one of the best guitars I've ever had in my hands. I strum the strings and the sustain goes on and on, but yet its not cloudy or muddy in any way. The bass is quite pronounced yet also doesn't get in the way, its incredibly balanced across all the strings that you hear individually. The trebles have a sparkle and a magic to them, reminding me of a Froggy Bottom guitar. It is amazingly responsive, just the lightest touch activates sound so there's plenty of headroom. And it handles tunings in C and D with ease, incredibly versatile. I can't really find a weakness here.

The French polish is interesting, the only one I've ever owned so it's hard for me to tell the difference, or at least how much difference it is making. I'm also wondering how much effect the sound port has on what I am hearing in relation to that. Burton says the polish hardens over time, so I think that is on-going.

The perfectly quartersawn Brazilian rosewood, with it's red highlights is absolutely stunning, as is the entire build itself. I am one very happy camper.

I'll add that I also own the Mahogany LeGeyt that Jackaroo played that day when he made up his mind to commission this guitar (see post #1 here), after Justonwo implored me to buy it after hearing it in Santa Barbara. I also own the Brondel A2 Mahogany described in this thread off the AGF a few years ago. The world works in crazy ways. All of these are exceptional instruments. This Brazilian LeGeyt just might be at the top. I guess time will tell.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBySix View Post
Well, the build thread continues with the living, breathing instrument. Maybe this will be a cradle to grave story. Only fitting for this instrument, I think.

Yes, I received this guitar two days ago, and it has been hard to put down. Easily one of the best guitars I've ever had in my hands. I strum the strings and the sustain goes on and on, but yet its not cloudy or muddy in any way. The bass is quite pronounced yet also doesn't get in the way, its incredibly balanced across all the strings that you hear individually. The trebles have a sparkle and a magic to them, reminding me of a Froggy Bottom guitar. It is amazingly responsive, just the lightest touch activates sound so there's plenty of headroom. And it handles tunings in C and D with ease, incredibly versatile. I can't really find a weakness here.

The French polish is interesting, the only one I've ever owned so it's hard for me to tell the difference, or at least how much difference it is making. I'm also wondering how much effect the sound port has on what I am hearing in relation to that. Burton says the polish hardens over time, so I think that is on-going.

The perfectly quartersawn Brazilian rosewood, with it's red highlights is absolutely stunning, as is the entire build itself. I am one very happy camper.

I'll add that I also own the Mahogany LeGeyt that Jackaroo played that day when he made up his mind to commission this guitar (see post #1 here), after Justonwo implored me to buy it after hearing it in Santa Barbara. I also own the Brondel A2 Mahogany described in this thread off the AGF a few years ago. The world works in crazy ways. All of these are exceptional instruments. This Brazilian LeGeyt just might be at the top. I guess time will tell.
Glad you’re loving it. Lucky man. Now sell my Brondel back to me!! Ha ha.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
It is a small world I guess! Glad you're enjoying it.

One might ask "why would he sacrifice such a great guitar?" Well, I wasn't emotionally attached to it, and I had the once in a lifetime opportunity to get a 1930 OM 28, so I had to jump.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
It is a small world I guess! Glad you're enjoying it.

One might ask "why would he sacrifice such a great guitar?" Well, I wasn't emotionally attached to it, and I had the once in a lifetime opportunity to get a 1930 OM 28, so I had to jump.
It sounds like a win/win situation. Especially if you're referring to that 1930 OM-28 from Norman's. Gulp. That's in a different stratosphere and I can see where you were going. It's got an 85 year head start!
Old 07-22-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
It sounds like a win/win situation. Especially if you're referring to that 1930 OM-28 from Norman's. Gulp. That's in a different stratosphere and I can see where you were going. It's got an 85 year head start!
I couldn't bring myself to pay that kind of money even if I had it. The one I'm eyeing is elsewhere, and will post about it when it arrives.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Ed had a knack for picking up the guitars we’re too stupid to keep!
Old 07-22-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I couldn't bring myself to pay that kind of money even if I had it. The one I'm eyeing is elsewhere, and will post about it when it arrives.
Awesome. You'll have to post an update about that when you get it, I'll be interested in your impressions. The 1930- early 1934 Martin OM is truly the holy grail.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop