The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 06-12-2018, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

Default Bedell 1964 Dreadnought (2012) - Natural finish / Bend Oregon built SOLD

SOLD!. If you are considering another U.S. made all solid factory built guitar -- Taylor, Martin, Breedlove, Gibson, Guild, or otherwise -- give this one a solid look. I've owned 'em all, and this has been the best of the factory-built guitars that have come through (of more than I want to admit!) At this price, it really is a no brainer.

I am sure I am going to regret this again. I actually sold this guitar here some time ago and ran back after it and bought it back as it is simply fantastic. But I stumbled upon a vintage guitar I had to have, and I just can't keep them all (if only I had that kind of disposable income. I can only hang on to a couple).

This is among the best mahogany dreads I've had through of many many great ones from some of the top builders. I have owned guitars from Goodall, McIlroy, Thompson, SCGC, Fox, Lakewood, Collings, Kronbauer, and others, and this is as satisfying as any I have had through. I had my eye on the Bedell 1964 dread for some time, as I liked the specs and the fact that it is USA made in the Bend, Oregon facility. I found one at a price I was willing to pay and pulled the trigger, and I was glad I did. It FAR surpassed my expectations, and in fact supplanted and far surpassed an early 90s Taylor 510 that I subsequently sold that was also quite good as well as a Collings D1 that I additionally no longer own. To my ears and hands, it wasn't even close. And I'm confident someone is going to be VERY pleased.

This one was made in 2012, which makes it one of the very first 1964 Dreads they made. In fact, I spoke with the wonderful folks at the factory (they returned a call to me within an hour of me emailing them!), and I learned this one was in fact the sixth 64 dread ever made and likely the first in a natural -- vs. burst -- finish. It is in excellent condition, with just a few signs of honest play. Little fret ware. Neck angle spot on. And the fact that it is pre 2014 model means that it is nitro finished vs the poly they switched over to in 14. It also bears the peace sign logo on the headstock vs the "Bedell" monicker they switched over to in 14 as well. So.....in my opinion, this is even better than the ones they are producing now.

Alaskan spruce over honduran mahogany. Ebony board and bridge. Bone set up. Just excellent materials all around and a stellar guitar in every way. As I said, it may be my favorite dread I've had in the house over the last 20 years, and that includes dozens and dozens of guitars from some of the top builders

Specs from the Bedell website:

BODY TYPE Dreadnought
NECK WOOD Honduran mahogany
TOP WOOD Sitka spruce
BACK & SIDES WOOD Honduran mahogany
TOP FINISH Heirloom gloss
BACK & SIDE FINISH Gloss
FRETBOARD Ebony
# FRETS 20
NUT WIDTH 1.687"
TUNERS Bedell open gear, antique brass
LOWER BOUT WIDTH 15.75"
WAIST WIDTH 10.625"
UPPER BOUT WIDTH 11.437"
BODY LENGTH 20"
BODY DEPTH 4.75"
STRING GAUGE D'Addario EXP 17's
BINDING East Indian rosewooue brass
LOWER BOUT WIDTH 15.75"
WAIST WIDTH 10.625"
UPPER BOUT WIDTH 11.437"
BODY LENGTH 20"
BODY DEPTH 4.75"
STRING GAUGE D'Addario EXP 17's
BINDING East Indian rosewood
INLAY 3mm Dots
SCALE LENGTH 25.5"
CASE Bedell deluxe hardshell case

They are making some fine guitars there in the Bend, Oregon facility. This is just a top-notch, fine instrument in both build quality and tone. Someone is going to be more than elated to get that quality at this price.

PICTURES

More from Bedell:
http://bedellguitars.com/guitars/1964-dreadnought

Thanks for looking in!
Brent (Madison, WI)

Last edited by Brent Nelson; 09-17-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Let's try another trip through.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

New week. And a trip to the top.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars