The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-17-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Do they call it "Scotch" or just "whiskey"? You don't order Kentucky bourbon in Kentucky, you just order bourbon and the rest is assumed.
It depends on where you are. If you are in a distillery they will offer you a "dram" of whisky because you naturally assume that you are getting a Scotch. The word "Scotch" won't be mentioned. If you are in a bar you could order a "single malt" or a "Scotch" or a "blend" or an "Irish Whiskey". I don't think there is a firm rule.

The only firm rule is that a Scotch "whisky" is spelled without an "e". (Irish Whiskey is spelled with an "e".)
Old 07-17-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Ye must go tae see my wee little rock up in the castle. Let me explain.

In November 1996 when my brothers and my father went to London and visited Westminster Abbey, the vicar who took us 'round the place stopped us at the Coronation Chair, where England's kings and queens have been crowned for over 700 years. It seems that Edward I (Longshanks) had stolen the Stone of Scone from Scotland during the period of and it was encased in the Coronatipon Chair. After giving us the history, the vicar went on. "Take a good look," sez he, "because you in this tour group are going to be the last people to see this." He continued, "I can't say much, but the Stone leaves today to return to Scotland. Go home tonight and watch the news." Sure enough, that night the BBC announced that the chair had been disassembled and the Stone of Scone was being returned to Scotland as a goodwill gesture. By the time my little family travel group made it up to Scotland it had arrived. It's a nice little memory to peg my visit in time.

Bob
Very cool story! Thanks.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Great info I’ll be there in a couple of weeks
Old 07-17-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Ye must go tae see my wee little rock up in the castle. Let me explain.
The locals had a nickname for that castle which I will not repeat here. I went to a bagpipe festival there once though. You ain't lived till you have heard a hundred or so pipers "tuning up" or whatever you call it.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:11 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
I went to a bagpipe festival there once though. You ain't lived till you have heard a hundred or so pipers "tuning up" or whatever you call it.
We host the largest Military Tattoo in North America here in my town every year. I love to hear guys in dresses strangling geese!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-18-2018, 04:37 AM

Thanks for you all!

I will flight to Edinburgh tomorrow morning and i try to see severals places of those.
Music store, Castle and Pub atleast.. 😎🍺

Maybe i let you knew how my day goes.. 😎

Wish list:

Martin 000

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion