The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-10-2002, 10:35 PM

Default 12 string flatpicking?

Hey, I've seen some people who are decent at flatpicking on a 12, but they have learned on a 6 string.

I can't flat-pick (crosspick, whatever you call it) to save my life on a 12 or a 6... and i'm wondering if it's possible to lean flat-picking on a 12. or should i learn on a 6, then transfer it over once i can actually keep some sort of pattern going?

right now, i just keep hitting the wrong strings or no strings.

any help would be appreciated.
-baby taylor
-Djiembe
Old 12-11-2002, 12:08 AM

The transfer between 6-string and 12-string isn't that particularly difficult once you get the technique down. The problem you typically run into when going from 12-string back to 6-string is that you may sometimes skip a string since you become used to striking twice as much surface on the 12s. I say if you plan to play the 12-string more than the 6, then practice on the 12-string. Crosspicking is really just a matter of how you move the pick, and once you get that technique down, the transfer should be pretty easy.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:46 AM

I have been learning cross picking on a 6 string and recently tried it on my new Taylor 12 string. It is definitely a different experience with all those strings! One thing that I have noticed is the difficulty in catching the high octave string of the lower string pairs on the upstroke. The higher octave string, being thinner, tends to "hide" behind the much thicker lower octave string.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell