The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-18-2013, 02:12 PM

Richard,

I don't know what part of the country you're in but I have a beautiful 0-28 short scale (24.9") at Eric Schoenberg's shop in Tiburon. I built it for last week's Healdsburg Guitar Festival and it got great response from everyone who played it. It's a little over your budget, but it's got quite a few upgrades, not the least of which is a beautifully made set of Rodgers tuners and BRW back & sides over an Adirondack spruce top.

It plays very easily and is what I refer to as the ultimate "couch guitar".

Last edited by Jimmy Caldwell; 08-18-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:23 PM

Thanks for all your replies! Now I have to spend some time checking out websites and price lists before I make up my mind.

As a side note, my wife is Swedish but she was born in Australia. One of her favorite guitar recordings is actually Larry Pattis' version of Waltzing Matilda! She wants me to play this tune for her but alas it's not going to happen! At least not unless she allows me to buy 3 or 4 more guitars (and about 50 years of practice)!!!
Old 08-19-2013, 05:23 AM

Richard,

Ill throw my name into the hat since I've recently been working on a redesign of my Caspian model, which is similar in size to the 00 with the 14" lower bout width, and a 24" scale. My site is here- www.kolayaco.com

Let me know if you have any questions! I'd love to talk with ya a little more and see if my work is a good match for you!
Take care,

Brad
Old 08-19-2013, 07:16 AM

Richard,
I would love to talk with you more about your guitar. I am willing to build any scale length you are interested in. I would also suggest an armrest for that extra bit of comfort. I am currently running a special on my newest models- I am offering $1000 worth of free upgrades. The offer is still available on my parlor shape.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Hi Richard,

it looks like you already have many excellent options to explore.

I'll add John Greven's name to the list. When I commissioned a guitar from him he led me toward a short-scale instrument - he has a preference for building them. And he's a fantastic builder.

Good luck!

Martin OM28 (European Spruce/EIR)
Collings OM3A (Adirondack/EIR)
Greven OOO (Lutz/Brazilian)
Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
ARK Senorita S6-12 (Adirondack/Mahogany)
Circa OOO-12 (European Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Old 08-20-2013, 01:44 AM

I just spent the evening listening to sound clips and I wonder if short scale guitars are more difficult to keep in tune? Please excuse my ignorance as I am first and foremost an engineer but it would seem logical to me that short scale guitars go out of tune more easily?

Would I have the same problem if I play a regular scale guitar with a capo? Would a long scale guitar be less sensitive to left hand pressure?
Old 08-20-2013, 04:53 AM

Not bad at all. I use Stay-Tites that are 18/1 gearing and they work on the 6 string. Don't believe they go out of tune any more than std, at least mine don't. The heavier you go on strings with short scale, the touchier tuning gets. My 23" 12 string is a little touchy, but my 12's use heavy strings. At 23" scale, the strings are not sensitive to pressure like a "Baby" guitar, as I said, medium lights are fairly stiff like a std scale. With my 24.625" parlor, lights are a lot looser. Really depends on the scale length and gages.
Have a used one that I'm doing some repair work on that would be available soon.
Don't know about capos as I never use them. I assume they would be fine.

Last edited by Haans; 08-20-2013 at 05:03 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.heinz View Post
I just spent the evening listening to sound clips and I wonder if short scale guitars are more difficult to keep in tune? Please excuse my ignorance as I am first and foremost an engineer but it would seem logical to me that short scale guitars go out of tune more easily?

Would I have the same problem if I play a regular scale guitar with a capo? Would a long scale guitar be less sensitive to left hand pressure?
I would suggest doing a 14.5" lower bout similar to an OO size - since you want the smaller size. And doing a multi-scale fan fret layout. I'd do 24 3/4" on the treble side and 25.5" on the bass side, that way you have the convenience of the smaller body yet you maintain the lower bass scale for the tension normally sought after for the tight snappy bass notes. The shorter treble side would give you a slinkier feel and warm those trebles up. Then you can use your capo. The adjustment to the multi-scale would be minimal in your playing.

I'd be happy to build this guitar for you. I'd offer some other suggestions too if you were to move it forward.

It would be a ground up build from design to you opening the case.

Have a great day.

Kevin.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:15 AM

Thanks again for the replies.

I received several private messages from luthiers and members who are offering to sell their guitars. I have not responded to anyone just yet as I am still looking for the right model. This may take quite some time!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haans View Post
Not bad at all. I use Stay-Tites that are 18/1 gearing and they work on the 6 string. Don't believe they go out of tune any more than std, at least mine don't. The heavier you go on strings with short scale, the touchier tuning gets. My 23" 12 string is a little touchy, but my 12's use heavy strings. At 23" scale, the strings are not sensitive to pressure like a "Baby" guitar, as I said, medium lights are fairly stiff like a std scale. With my 24.625" parlor, lights are a lot looser. Really depends on the scale length and gages.
Have a used one that I'm doing some repair work on that would be available soon.
Don't know about capos as I never use them. I assume they would be fine.
I am essentially trying to find a guitar that's easier to play than what I've already got.

I was wondering whether a standard scale guitar with a capo is as touchy as a short sale guitar with no capo?

I have been watching some videos where the playing is fantastic but the guitar seems a little out of tune.

My own playing is terrible (even that is understatement) but I found out last year that I have perfect pitch. Listening to music hasn't been the same since then.

I would love to try a short scale guitar but I don't think there are any available in stores other than Martins. Are there any guitar shops in the Los Angeles area that have short scale guitars in stock?
Old 08-20-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I am essentially trying to find a guitar that's easier to play than what I've already got.

I was wondering whether a standard scale guitar with a capo is as touchy as a short sale guitar with no capo?

I have been watching some videos where the playing is fantastic but the guitar seems a little out of tune.

My own playing is terrible (even that is understatement) but I found out last year that I have perfect pitch. Listening to music hasn't been the same since then.

I would love to try a short scale guitar but I don't think there are any available in stores other than Martins. Are there any guitar shops in the Los Angeles area that have short scale guitars in stock?
You've covered a few bases here...
In short, adding a capo technically does not change the "tension" to bring the string up to pitch (unless you change the tuning too). I've not studied the dynamics (or physics) of a capo'd guitar, but they sometimes do feel easier to play.
Yes, many guitars are played out of tune. I've even heard it on professional recordings (on the radio). Maybe artistic license? I can't say I have perfect pitch, but my tonal hearing is pretty good, and it bothers me too.
You might give McCabes a call to see what they've got, or if you're up for a bit of a drive maybe Buffalo Brothers.
-C
Old 08-20-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:

LA Guitars. An AGF sponsor.
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ber.php?u=3385
R Taylor Style 2 Madagascar/Engelmann
Old 08-20-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:

Hi Richard...

Short scale guitars hold their tuning just fine...just as well and longer scale guitars...with one caveat.

If you have a really strong attack with you right hand, picking the strings, you can pull the notes a bit sharp on the low E, A, and D strings...again...if you hit them really hard...

But...if you play with a moderate to softer attack...and/or learn to control your right hand pressure...a skill you should REALLY learn...then you would have no issues...and capo's work just great, no issues with them on short scale, anymore than with longer scale lengths.

Best Regards
duff

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop