The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-15-2013, 12:42 PM

Default Things I’ve learned (A Custom Shop Experience) Long Post

I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this, so please move as you see fit mods.

I still remember how amazing I felt after I’d placed my first “boutique” guitar order. My dealer has been great to work with me through many changes and final appointment details to finally get me to the point of actually placing an order. I was embarking on a new path in my guitar buying pattern. I’ve been moving from a more modern sound to a more traditional palette.

This might not be accurate for everyone, but if I can help just one person on the fringe of ordering then this will have done its intended job.

1)Know the sound that you are looking for before you order the guitar
This might sound silly, but in order to correctly describe what you want built, it’s a good idea to be able to give the builder a sound you are trying to emulate/create. Try as many examples of the builder’s guitar as possible. You’re about to spend a large chuck of money. A quick trip to a store in your state is not out the question. I realize that not everyone has a “high end” store, but if you can afford the guitar you can afford to travel to find a close relative guitar.

2)Ask as many questions as you can before pulling the trigger
Learn everything you can from your dealer and do your own research on the builder. Call and e-mail them with questions. They want to build you that dream guitar, but they need to know what you want and see if they can make that happen.

3)Don’t get caught up in the deadline game
It’s a custom build, and it’s going to take time. No matter what the delivery estimates are, they will be wrong. The builder wants to build the best guitar he/she can. Attention to detail takes time. Nothing is perfect, the builder will do his best to try and reach it. If you are given a 4-6 week window, don’t freak out at week 7 if you haven’t seen it yet. Things come up. I say this somewhat tongue in cheek as I too have had to start listening to my own advice.

4)Keep the communication lines open
It’s easy to get caught up in delays and issues that may come up. Be honest and upfront with everyone involved. The last thing anyone wants is to get into a he said, she said situation. Be willing to hear the answer even if it’s not the one you want. You want the guitar to be right. You don’t want the guy working on your instrument to be mad working on it. You expect perfection and they will do their best to deliver. Talk it out.

5)Remember why you went custom
The last thing you want is to feel like maybe I would have been better off with guitar A than the guitar B that isn’t here yet. Sure you think that maybe that one small item that you really needed can be overcome. It can’t, and you’ll like regret/sell/lose money on what you bought instead of waiting for what you knew you needed.

There are many more people here with custom shop buying experience. If you aren't sure, ask. This forum has been a great mentor for me on so many levels.

What are some of the things you've learned??
Old 08-15-2013, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Don't expect major deviations from a builder's signature sound. If you don't love what you hear on the examples of what you play, then you probably aren't going to like that builder's signature sound.

Trust your instincts, and don't be distracted by what looks nice or what is popular.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:10 PM

Be careful when it comes to money you place on deposit... I learned the hard way when Omega's founder passed away that you get stuck with a box of parts...and then a well known luthier stepped up, and I sent him $1,000.... and he did not do a thing over the next year, took the money and never looked back, I was lucky to get my "parts" back... and thank God that Harvey Leach offered to bail me out. And built an amazing instrument...and delivered as promised.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Don't expect major deviations from a builder's signature sound. If you don't love what you hear on the examples of what you play, then you probably aren't going to like that builder's signature sound.

Trust your instincts, and don't be distracted by what looks nice or what is popular.
A GREAT BIG +1 on the above from Juston...and...

Remember that "vintage" tone, and "modern" tone tend to be at the opposite ends of the build structure spectrum. To get the sound of a vintage Martin/Gibson requires much different build structure than modern acoustic sound...say, more like an Olson/Goodall/Ryan sound.

I see people all the time saying "I want the bass power and fundamental root note power of an old Martin...but...with lots of sustain, and overtones, and harmonics/sparkle and chime too...

You are setting yourself up for a big disappointment if you are trying to get both tonal ranges into one guitar...

The luthiers can massage the tone/timbre a little bit this way and that, but they can't really take an apple and make an orange out of it...

You need to be reasonable in your tonal expectations of the guitar you want...and also hopefully find a luthier who will explain that honestly to you as well.

Also...sound clips...GOOD sound clips for the luthier, so he/she can hear what you are after...but again...don't send clips of a 30's Martin and a 2008 Ryan and say...both of these, together, please...

Best Regards
duff
Old 08-15-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabolting View Post
Be careful when it comes to money you place on deposit... I learned the hard way when Omega's founder passed away that you get stuck with a box of parts...and then a well known luthier stepped up, and I sent him $1,000.... and he did not do a thing over the next year, took the money and never looked back, I was lucky to get my "parts" back... and thank God that Harvey Leach offered to bail me out. And built an amazing instrument...and delivered as promised.
+1. If anything unfortunate happens to the luthier (i.e. health) than it's possible the down payment may be lost.

Another thing to add is that if any warranty issues arise down the road it's possible that the luthier is no longer around to handle it.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Try to list the risks and the rewards, minimize the risks, maximize the rewards, and then, most importantly, judge whether a custom/commission from the builder is the right thing for you.

I also want to state that I feel most all of the luthiers I am aware of are honest and trustworthy and provide an appropriate level of protection for their customer. When I refer to risk, I feel there are probably many more risks due to the customer than the luthier.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 08-15-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Try to list the risks and the rewards, minimize the risks, maximize the rewards, and then, most importantly, judge whether a custom/commission from the builder is the right thing for you.

I also want to state that I feel most all of the luthiers I am aware of are honest and trustworthy and provide an appropriate level of protection for their customer. When I refer to risk, I feel there are probably many more risks due to the customer than the luthier.
It has happened to a number of luthiers that were connected to this forum... and in fact Harvey Leach said mine was the third he had done as a result of a tragedy involving a luthier.... so it has happened enough times.

There are lots of good intentions that go South when someone unexpectedly passes...and when the family says "there is no money"... not much else that can be done. And absolutely there are risks that are on the luthier's side that the customer may not be able to pay, or may not be living, or just doesn't want it. So I am not suggesting that it is one sided...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop