The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-25-2005, 11:48 PM

Default voice during. prac. v. performing

hello everyone!

i lead worship for a campus ministry on our college campus
and an observation that i've made since the school year started:

ive noticed that my voice is completely different during practice and during the actually general meeting when i lead. i have no idea why. i dont do anything different in particular.

my speculation is that during the actual meeting, i'm nervous, the adrenaline is rushing, etc etc

has anyone experienced this before? and if so, what steps did you take to correct it?
Old 10-25-2005, 11:52 PM

ive noticed the same thing: except backwards.

when I'm on the microphone, the louder it is, the more relaxed my voice is.

singing without a mic, i strain to sing cause I guess I assume i'm trying to hear more nuances when it's practice. but without a mic, i have to strain to hear what I want to hear.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:38 AM
Charter Member

I don't have this problem with voice, but I do a bit with my guitar - practising unplugged is different to playing amped and it sometimes distracts me a bit. (As an example, a thumbpick sounds great unplugged and a bit obtrusive when amped.) I'm making an effort to practice with the amp occasionally, rather than only use it at gigs and services. Is it feasible for you to practice "on location" with the PA on?
Old 10-26-2005, 06:56 AM

If you are more nervous, it will definitely be reflected in your voice. Your breathing becomes quicker and shallower, your muscles more tense (including your throat). I find that in practice I can sing clear and loud to my heart's content, but when it's during the service, it takes me around half way through the first song before I loosen up. This past weekend during Monroestock open mic, performing solo in front of so many VERY talented people had me on the verge of total paralysis!!
Old 10-26-2005, 07:04 AM

One possibility is that your just unused to hearing your own voice louder, with the main volume coming from somewhere outside your head. It does sound different, and can be off-putting if your not used to it. Practice with the PA would definately be a good idea.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:16 AM

I find I need to have people around to sing at all well.

Practicing with others does the trick, but because singing to myself just plain doesn't work, I have found that over the past 3 years my guitar playing has improved dramatically while my singing has plateau-ed at best.

Don't know why this is for sure, but my honest theory is that singing is just plain more interactive.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:34 AM

I have that problem and for me it is about voice projection. When I practice I just don't sing as loud and for some reasons can't always hit those high notes. But when it comes time for a gig, its not that I'm nervous, excited would be the more acurate term, I can project my voice really well. The problem I'm having is learning to back off so I don't blast everyone away!
Old 10-26-2005, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsuk
hello everyone!

i lead worship for a campus ministry on our college campus
and an observation that i've made since the school year started:

ive noticed that my voice is completely different during practice and during the actually general meeting when i lead. i have no idea why. i dont do anything different in particular.

my speculation is that during the actual meeting, i'm nervous, the adrenaline is rushing, etc etc

has anyone experienced this before? and if so, what steps did you take to correct it?
Mine is just backward of your problem, most of the time...
I think the mic helps, I don't have to sing as loud, to be loud.
Also I have tried to practice with the PA and monitors set just like they will be when we use them, same level everything.
As for nerves, your leading P&W! Try to keep in mind who your really playing for. He is very forgiving.
(I know easier said than done )
Yamaha 365S (1980 ish)
Taylor 110, 2004
Martin DC-160GTE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell