The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-06-2013, 09:15 PM

Default Cordoba...C5 vs C7 ?

Being the lucking winner of a LA Guitar sales store credit, I have been looking at the Cordoba classicals. I don't play real classical guitar, but I like how they sound, when played well, and if I cam going to spend my credit on something, I figure it should have a different sound than what I already have. My first guitar many years ago was a nylon strung Kay.

I started doing some YouTubing and found I kinda like the jazzy electric tones of the E versions, but .... the C5-CE is a lot less than the C7-CE. Is there a big difference in tone and quality of the C5 vs the C7 ? I'd rather get a nicer guitar, than to drop down too low, just so I can more easily afford one with a pickup.

The C7 Cedar over Rosewood has my eye, right now. I like the moodyness of the combo.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 12-06-2013, 09:18 PM

From my standpoint, most Cordobas sound the same - mellow and lovely. You pay more for solid woods, of course. But I don't detect major differences, even all the way up to the higher end GK acoustic-electric models. Get the one you think plays best and sounds best. You won't miss either way.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:35 AM
Charter Member

I just got a C9. I tried dozens of classical from $300 to $3000 and consistently found the C9 to sound more even, warmer, sweeter and louder. The C5 and C7 play about as well, but tone-wise the C9 is a much, much better guitar and absolutely worth the extra cash.

Amazon has the C9 CD/MH for $595 and MF will beat that price with hard case. I'm very impressed with this guitar. It's as much classical guitar as I will ever need given my ok-but-really-not-very-good classical skills.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:24 AM

I'm guilty-as-charged when it comes to being a classical guitar snob. I poo-pooed Cordoba guitars for the longest time...until I actually played one. I've been extremely impressed with every one I've played. Very consistent build quality, great playability, and always a nice tone. I've always been a big fan of cedar over rosewood, so I'd go with the C7 if given the choice!
Old 12-07-2013, 09:42 AM

I have the Cordoba C5ce,very nice sound,easy to play and it records extremely well. I`d buy it again.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Default Cordoba

@rogthefrog Where is the C9 for 595?
Old 12-07-2013, 04:35 PM

He mentioned Amazon.com
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
Old 12-07-2013, 04:44 PM

I think getting the better guitar and worrying about electronics I won't use much later is the better idea. I just need to call up Ted and tell him what I want.
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
Old 12-09-2013, 01:03 PM

I have a standard C5 and love it! I think between the C5 and C7 you can't go wrong either way. If you want to save a few bucks, or use the extra to put towards some accesories, grab the C5 - I think you will be pleased with it.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:45 PM

I've played the C5 and C7, and I think both are very nice. The rosewood on the C7 gave it more bottom end, but the difference isn't as pronounced as it would be if the guitars had solid back and sides.

I ended up buying the Cordoba GK Studio Negra (spruce over laminate rosewood). I'd highly recommend trying it out alongside the C5 and C7 if you have a chance. The GK Studio Negra has a shallower body and faster neck -- it has a little less depth to its tone, but the playability and comfort is amazing and the tone is very round and clear. There's also the plain GK Studio (not "Negra") with spruce over laminate cypress. It's worth trying too, but I thought its bass was lacking. The rosewood in the Negra version gave is just enough fullness to let it compete with the C5 and C7.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:16 AM

I have the GK studio negra and C9 (spruce), and have owned the C5.

I would pick the C7 over the c5 if I had my preference. I think the C7 has a much better tone, and a little more volume. The studio negra is a nice guitar, but is not really suited to classical repertoire. The tone is much more "flamenco-ey". I do like the electronics package on the GK Studio though, if that is your thing.

The C9 is a great choice if you can find one in your price range.
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage
Old 01-15-2014, 07:27 PM

Wink

I just replaced my full size Takamine with a Cordoba Dolce 7/8 size-

I'd been wanting a C5 for years, and hadn't thought of spending more than $300 for a guitar- but these guitars are all so nice- If I was younger- 60 in two weeks- I might spend more- but the C5s have always sounded SO good to me- and so minimal- the key to the sound I think.

So anyway, I got into ukes this summer and decided I really like a smaller scale- i wanted something "almost a full size" and the Dolce 7/8 fits the bill- at slightly less cost than the C5- I can pick up the Dolce and play the slightly smaller scale with no adjustment. Sounds better than most other full sized I think. I got mine on ebay- new, but re-sold and well under cost- so very happy

I now also have a Cordoba Requinto 580 1/2 size, and that scale REALLY fits my average sized adult hands- fast and comfortable- my fingers go to where they are supposed to with no stretch at all- it's just not a full sized sound- but pretty good and that same resonance and volume scaled down. A wonderful little practice guitar I can play on the bed watching TV.

And just returned a Cordoba Cadete 3/4 615 mm scale to Guitar Center- which I got there online used- not a mark or scratch- a really beautiful guitar, some of the prettiest wood I've ever seen on a guitar, and better sound by slightly than the Requinto. But it was an "Ano '07" and the action high by slight predictable neck bend- and BEFORE they began installing the truss rods- so I could have gotten the action about where I wanted it, but no future adjustments. So I opted for the 30 day store return- I may replace it someday, but no plans for now- I'd gotten the Requinto as a "b" stock and also well under cost in the meantime and it has me covered. The 615 scale didn't fit my hand like the 580 (which I think COULD have a bigger body- deeper especially), nor otherwise did not play like a full scale like the 7/8 Dolce- (630 scale). But for a small guitar- there aren't any better than cordobas, which keep the nuts wide- when most other go too narrow then

The cedar tops are the best.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:51 AM

I don't have much experience in comparing the guitars, but I own a Cordoba CE LE Koa. It's both beautiful in looks as well as sound; very sweet. I think you'll be happy with a Cordoba.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:21 PM

Default Cordoba Guitars

I have twelve classical guitars ranging in price from $80 to $6,000. Four of these are Cordobas. All of my Cordobas are in the lower to middle price range. For the money, I think these are great guitars.

C5 vs C7. Both good mid range guitars. Sound and build very similar. If you are in love with the look of rosewood go for the C7, but otherwise I would say go for the best deal that you can find. Both can be found with solid cedar and solid spruce soundboards. The guitar that I play more than any other is a Cordoba Dolce, a inexpensive 7/8 guitar. It is not the best sounding guitar that I have, but it sounds very good. The reason that I end up using it the most is that I can drag it around without worrying about a ding or two or waking up one morning and finding one of my four cats crawling out of the sound hole.

Last edited by Ronald James; 09-19-2019 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:46 PM

If you can spring for the c9 there is a BIG improvement in tone to my ears. I tried the c5 c7 and c9 side by side.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical