The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-13-2012, 02:32 PM

Default "Beginning Fingerstyle Blues Guitar" by Arnie Berle and Mark Galbo

Currently a little more than half-way through Mark Hanson's Art of Contemporary Travis Picking book, and was thinking some variety might be fun. To anyone who has used it and the Berle/Galbo book...what do you think about using both at the same time? The Hanson book is great and I'm learning alot from it, but I'm getting a little bored with all the pieces that are meant to accompany vocals. If not the Berle/Galbo book to go with it, what would you suggest?
Old 05-13-2012, 02:48 PM

Hi MrBJones,

I have the Berle/Galbo book and CD and although I have learned some good things from it I personally find Stefan Grossman's Fingerpicking Guitar Techniques to be more useful. This is a blues oriented DVD two set and I like being able to see and watch what he is talking about. Stefan is a great teacher IMO and my learning style is very visual and being able to watch really helps.

Best,
Mike
Old 05-13-2012, 07:09 PM

I bought the Galbo book many years ago and really liked it. Granted, it doesn't have video, but it would be a good companion for the Mark Hanson book. Similar picking style, but all blues in Galbo....
Old 05-13-2012, 07:35 PM

I happened to have posted this in another thread just today: I'd suggest starting here; http://www.amazon.ca/The-Art-Contemp.../dp/0936799005 Buy the book, set aside an hour a day for practice and work your way through it until you can play all the included songs up to speed and accurately. With that amount of skill you'll be able to sit on the porch all afternoon and doodle while making wonderful sounds come from your fingers.

A nice companion IMO is; http://www.amazon.ca/Beginning-Finge...634662-3283448

Buy those two together and move from one to the other and I think you'll be surprised at how quickly you can learn to sound like a very good player.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:16 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanVigne View Post
I happened to have posted this in another thread just today: I'd suggest starting here; http://www.amazon.ca/The-Art-Contemp.../dp/0936799005 Buy the book, set aside an hour a day for practice and work your way through it until you can play all the included songs up to speed and accurately. With that amount of skill you'll be able to sit on the porch all afternoon and doodle while making wonderful sounds come from your fingers.

A nice companion IMO is; http://www.amazon.ca/Beginning-Finge...634662-3283448

Buy those two together and move from one to the other and I think you'll be surprised at how quickly you can learn to sound like a very good player.
Amazon says link number 2 above is not working.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

I bought the Berle & Galbo book years ago, put it on a shelf and promptly forgot about it. I recently checked it out, went through about half the book in an afternoon and then sold it. I realized I am a ways beyond the beginning exercises in it. My problem w/ the book is it doesn't sound much like blues for a while into the book, and they didn't put CD track references in the book.

+1 on what phxguy says. I find Stefan Grossman's finger style blues materials much more appealing. In fact, I just dug out "Fingerpicking Guitar Techniques" last night and ran through the first six songs, ones I learned years ago when I was just starting.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:03 PM

"Amazon says link number 2 above is not working."

Really?!!! They told you that?!

What a bunch of liars since I obvisouly went there to get that link.

But, if you must know, it's the book mentioned by the op.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:

Book mentioned by OP is what you linked in the first link.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Indeed linky no worky. Pipe down dude it's not a matter of truthfulness or deceit - just a technical error.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:55 AM

"Pipe down dude it's not a matter of truthfulness or deceit - just a technical error."

Hmmm, ... tough crowd. I guess I should watch for flying beer bottles and no tips.

From drunkinminer's post ... "Book mentioned by OP is what you linked in the first link."

No, my first link should have taken you to ... "The Art of Contemporary Travis Picking" by Mark Hanson

From the op ... "Currently a little more than half-way through Mark Hanson's Art of Contemporary Travis Picking book ... To anyone who has used it and the Berle/Galbo book...what do you think about using both at the same time?"

From the op's title to this thread ... "Beginning Fingerstyle Blues Guitar" by Arnie Berle and Mark Galbo

From my second link ... http://www.amazon.ca/Beginning-Finge...634662-3283448

Place the title of the thread into a search engine and I bet I know what you'll find.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write