The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-05-2011, 11:19 PM

Default Really Nice Preamp to USB interface?

Well, I'm really not knowledgeable at all when it comes to this stuff. But I think I've decided on the RNP, as friends of mine have had only good experiences with it. I just want to know how can I get it into my laptop since it has no USB in. What interface can I use to plug the RNP through, then USB into my laptop? I have a really nice condenser mic that just needs a good preamp to give it the full flavor. My new Martin is ready to sing but it just needs the right conditions!

Any and all advice is welcomed!
Old 06-05-2011, 11:30 PM

you probably have a stereo 1/8" audio input on the computer so you may have to get an adapter that allows you to go from 1/4" cable from the RNP to the 1/8" input on the computer.
note that someone was selling the RNP(which i have and love) on the AGF or the UMGF.

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 06-06-2011, 06:06 AM

You'll need decent AD conversion to get the most out of the FMR (and a good monitoring chain to hear it). Onboard audio isn't in the same ballpark.

An RME ADI-2 could be a good match to the FMR RNP in terms of audio quality. You'd also need a soundcard with digital in. Something inexpensive from M-Audio or Emu would do since you'll be bypassing the inferior converters (they're not bad exactly just not quite so good as the ADI). An RME card might squeeze out a slightly lower latency. Not sure.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:26 AM

I would consider the Apogee Duet, which is small, portable, USB interfaced, great preamps and conversion, and highly rated! Take a look at it.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:39 AM

Thanks for the recommendations. But it seems this converters are REALLY expensive. Most of them cost three times as much as the Really Nice Preamp--which is already $475.

Are there any cheaper options? $200 to $300? Or is that a pipedream? BTW, I'm just doing barebones recording too. Just voice and guitar, some other instruments too such as mandolin, banjo, cello etc. But those get their own mics. I'm feeling awfully discouraged!
Old 06-06-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
I would consider the Apogee Duet, which is small, portable, USB interfaced, great preamps and conversion, and highly rated! Take a look at it.
I agree. The duet is fantastic and Apogee has a new Duet that just came out. Looks even better.

I did sell my RNP and RNC when the Duet came along. Didn't need them anymore.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaubrummie View Post
Are there any cheaper options?
Another vote for the Duet which packs some very good pres and converters in one little package. Pro-quality separates are the ultimate, if you can afford it, but at that level you start paying more and more for smaller and smaller increases in sound quality. By comparison, a Duet takes you a long, long way for very little outlay.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:12 AM

In your price range, I'd consider the Echo AudioFire 2 (well, that is if you have firewire on your computer).
Old 06-06-2011, 01:31 PM

QUOTE=beaubrummie;2642405]Thanks for the recommendations. But it seems this converters are REALLY expensive. Most of them cost three times as much as the Really Nice Preamp--which is already $475.

Are there any cheaper options? $200 to $300? Or is that a pipedream? BTW, I'm just doing barebones recording too. Just voice and guitar, some other instruments too such as mandolin, banjo, cello etc. But those get their own mics. I'm feeling awfully discouraged![/QUOTE]

Again, the Apogee Duet has the preamps and the converters built into a small package that is high quality, which gives you everything you need so you are good to go. It will only cost you a little more than just the RNP alone, which doesn't give the converters or the USB interface. You won't be disappointed! Here is the link:

Duet 2
Old 06-06-2011, 02:15 PM

if you really want the rnp, it is still listed in the marketplace section.

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 06-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Sorry, if that was mine it's no longer for sale. I've got the compressors for sale but not the pre. However, I'd recommend the RNP as well. It's a great two channel pre for the money.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:29 PM

You can only use the apogee duet for Macs though, right? That's what it seems like. I have a PC. So I don't think that could work.

I don't have a firewire port either. I'm between a rock and a hard place right now.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:59 PM

What microphone will you be using?

Another option, but you have to up your budget, the RME Babyface. How old is your laptop?

Last edited by Rick Shepherd; 06-06-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:35 PM

If you're not completely sold on the RNP, I'd suggest looking at the Sound Devices USBPre 2:

Sound Devices Information
YouTube Demo Video (demo to hear the sound quality)

I have the original USBPre and it works solid for me. It can bypass the mic-pre altogether, just in case you wanted to get the RNP in the future.

One cool thing that I read about the USBPre2 is that it can work as a standalone mic-pre as well.

Price wise, it ends up being the same price as an RNP + your target range for a USB converter.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Or... you could invest in real recording software and interfaces. Worth it, even if you have to save, IMO.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD