The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-22-2010, 01:09 PM

Default Fixed a Old Speaker

To all:

I was given a old Gibson Amp. It was made right when the transition came from tubes to solid state. Anyway, there were two things wrong with it. There wee a couple holes in the speaker (a nice looking Jenson) and it needed a proper three wire cord (to have a true "grounding conductor").

I read about a way to patch the speaker holes, and it sounded pretty neat so I gave it a try. Basically, I cut two "patches" from a "Mr. Coffee" type paper filter. I was able to use the existing rounded edge on the filter - and simply made the patches a little bigger than the holes. I then mixed some Elmer's glue with a little water - just to thin it out a bit. I applied the glue to the cone, and then to the patch. Once the patch was in place I used a small brush to make sure the edges were sealed in.

Just tried the amp and there is a very noticable improvement! That repair may not work on really "high horsepower" amp combos - but it seems to have worked just fine on mine. Given that the Jenson is pretty cool, and the rest of the map is very clean, I'm quite happy with the results.

Maybe this will be helpful to you at some point in the future.

Best'
Tp

It's the amp on the left...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair