The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-20-2010, 03:21 PM

Default Finishing rosewood

Another newbie question. I made a nice rosewood pickguard, but am having trouble getting a nice finish on it. I tried to use Minwax wipe-on polyurethane but it doesn't cure, just stays kinda gooey and sticky. I've used that very finish on maple electric necks with great results, but the rosewood I guess it too oily. I know this is a common issue but I don't know how to solve it. Looking for a glossy finish hard enough for a pickguard. Any advice?
Old 11-20-2010, 05:24 PM

When exposed to oxygen Polyurethane molecules cross link, causing it to cure. For reasons I don't understand the oils in Rosewood (and Teak, as well as a few other woods) prevent this from happening. You either need a sealer to seal the oils in, or a different finish. This applies to Polyurethane, Varnish, and Polyester, as well as most other reactive finishes. Evaporating finishes, like lacquer or shellac would work fine with no sealer. If you want to send it to me I'll be glad to put a few coats of Varnish on it when I'm finishing my next guitar.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:36 PM

Very nice of you Woody. I actually switched to a water based finish and it's working. It's Minwax Polycrylic. Because I have to brush it on and sand between coats it's not exactly what I was wanting. The wipe-on poly is super thin and makes a beautiful finish so I was hoping to use it.

Also, this is for a friend so I need to get his guitar back. So thankful for friends who let me "practice" on their guitars!

(EDIT) I now see that minwax makes a water based wipe on poly. Not at my Lowe's, but I may try to find some for later.

Last edited by bnjp; 11-20-2010 at 06:52 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair