The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-23-2010, 03:27 AM

Default wood aquisition.....

OK folks, as amateur builders, cash can be tight sometimes and the thoughs of looking for "other" sources of wood appear.......

in this world where recycling is more and more acceptable, may I encourage you to try my second favourite hobby (after building) of....

Dumpster diving!!

I needed some maple for necks.

the place where I bought the last lot has closed down so I get onto google for a look see.

among the results (hardwood belfast) is a furniture importer. some of thier stuff is really big and chunky in mango, acacia and rosewood, as well as a few less exotic woods like oak and beech.

anyway, my sick deranged mind looks and thinks "if they are importing this furniture ready built, then maybe there are items which get damaged in transit....."

maybe some TOO badly damaged to discount and sell AS damaged......

I send em off an email, explaining that I make guitars and that our school would love to have any wood that could be salvaged......

The reply comes back within an hour......

"no problem we'll look out a stack of mango for you......"

here's what I got on Thursday.......

the steel rule in the pic is 300mm (12")

and with the stain planed off.....

I MIGHT be able to get a couple of acoustic sets out of it, but I've just started an electric bass and I'm putting this on the top...

and I've been told it makes good necks, so a few of those table legs might just be suitable candidates

did I mention that this was all FREE???????
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!
Old 10-23-2010, 05:25 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Fantastic! Nice save! My current build is Sycamore I rescued from a burn pile. It was quartersawn! Big enough for 2 beautiful Acoustic boardsets.
Dick Boak got his job at Martin Guitars getting caught Dumpster diving for wood.
Hey Martin, Ya gonna let the wood acclimate?
Old 10-26-2010, 02:12 AM

so, having planed off the really dark stain I wondered how this mango would look under finish......

so, I made a wee trinket box.

cherry on top & base, with a danish oil finish

the pics don't do it justice. this wood is GORGEOUS!!

I LIKE!!

and no, I haven't let it aclimatise any!!
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!
Old 10-27-2010, 05:26 PM

Once found a solid mahogany table that some one's Gradfather had made about fifty years ago. Nice table just needed refinishing. The grand kids were throwing it out, said it was to big. We made several guitars out of it and we still have some left.

Old upright pianos are a good source for spruce sound boards.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:56 AM

I tried the piano thing once it was a nightmere! those things are built like tanks.
The amount of wood I got seeing how long it took to get it was very unrewarding not to mention the amount of worthless wood I then had to dispose of.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:38 AM

Have to agree.

I took dowan a piano, and the braces on the soundboard were screwed on every 6 inches or so..... with big old rusty screws...... so I MIGHT have enne able to salvage some Uke tops but that ould have been about it.

I DID get all the black keys. well, I say the tblack keys, the only actual ebony was the piece stuck onto the top that sits proud of the white keys. still, mando bridges?
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!
Old 11-04-2010, 12:08 PM

yep, I'm still looking for an "old growth" brazillian rosewood table trashed out on the curb waiting for pick up.

no luck yet

used to find all kinds of pc's left out on the street. I'd rebuild them and then give them away -not so much any more. easier to find sturdy hardrock maple from couches and box mattresses and mdf from kitchen overhauls then anything really fun.

aside from enviro concerns people are getting wise to what they have.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair