The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-17-2010, 11:43 AM

Default questions before start building

Hello, everyone, I'm Jack. I'm also new to guitar making. Good to meet you all.

Now then, I'm hoping to make a dreadnought type guitar, using spruce for the front and Indian rosewood for the back and sides, but I am not sure what wood to use for the neck, any advice?
I am hoping for this as an end result:here

My main question: is there any way at all to build a guitar without any use of power tools?
Also, what tools can I get to replace the use of tools such as the band saw. And what hand tool should I use for cutting the soundhole?

EDIT:found answer to 2nd question
2nd, can I make a bridge without needing tuning pins (can I just make it where the ball end is holding string?)

I want to make the sides about 1/2 the length in the picture(so that would be about 2-2.5 inches).
Would that affect the sound of the guitar and/or the ability to bend the sides in any way?

Last edited by jackZ; 10-17-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:50 PM

Welcome, Jack. Many, many guitars are made with mahogany necks, if not most. There are other woods, and a number of luthiers here build with different neck woods. Look at the pictures pages on this site for ideas.
You could certainly build one without power tools. Guitars have been built for centuries without electricity. I just build from kits, and so I don't have to make my neck, cut, thickness, or bend sides, or dimension my neck, back,or top. All of those could conceivably be done by hand. I only use a router for cutting binding/purfling channels, but there is a tool, a "Schneider Gramil" at LMI's web site for that. And I use a bandsaw to trim my fretboard to the neck, but you could surely get around that and do it manually.
There are "pin-less" bridges around, but I'm not familiar enough to speak on how the strings are secured. They're very often seen on Classical guitars.
As far as cutting the sides width in half, not sure what you'd get for sound with that.
Oh, I don't think they're called "tuning pins" on the bridge, just bridge pins.
Best of luck in building, and be sure to post a lot of pics in your build thread.
Bob

Last edited by naccoachbob; 10-17-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:36 PM

I always cut my soundholes out with a #11 x-acto blade jammed into a popsicle stick at 2" from the pivot pin. Try it you'll like it.....

Mikey
Old 10-17-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naccoachbob View Post
Welcome, Jack. Many, many guitars are made with mahogany necks, if not most. There are other woods, and a number of luthiers here build with different neck woods. Look at the pictures pages on this site for ideas.
You could certainly build one without power tools. Guitars have been built for centuries without electricity. I just build from kits, and so I don't have to make my neck, cut, thickness, or bend sides, or dimension my neck, back,or top. All of those could conceivably be done by hand. I only use a router for cutting binding/purfling channels, but there is a tool, a "Schneider Gramil" at LMI's web site for that. And I use a bandsaw to trim my fretboard to the neck, but you could surely get around that and do it manually.
There are "pin-less" bridges around, but I'm not familiar enough to speak on how the strings are secured. They're very often seen on Classical guitars.
As far as cutting the sides width in half, not sure what you'd get for sound with that.
Oh, I don't think they're called "tuning pins" on the bridge, just bridge pins.
Best of luck in building, and be sure to post a lot of pics in your build thread.
Bob
I will definitely post pics when I start, hopefully that will be soon.
I think I'll try mohogany; it seems to be the wood of choice for the neck on most guitars I've known.
And you are quite right, they are called bridge pins, my mistake.

mhammond, thanks for the advice, will try that for sure.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:34 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

At the flea market I have found huge dovetail or re-saw saws. Also, many turn of the century tools that have "gone away" because of power tools. I would get the LMI and Stew Mac catalogs. Look at current methods and invent backwards.
No power tools is ambitious and unique. The rumor is Wayne Henderson (Claptons guitar book) uses a Pocket knife for much of the build.
Make sure you work by oil lamps!
Old 10-18-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackZ View Post
2nd, can I make a bridge without needing tuning pins (can I just make it where the ball end is holding string?)

I want to make the sides about 1/2 the length in the picture(so that would be about 2-2.5 inches).
Would that affect the sound of the guitar and/or the ability to bend the sides in any way?
There are pinless bridges that are used by a number of luthiers. Do a little research on line and you'll find plenty of photos and even a plan or two.

When you say you want to make the sides 1/2 the length, maybe you mean 1/2 the depth.

Halve the length and you'll end up with a tiny guitar that will sound like a toy.

Halve the depth and you'll end up with a guitar that will produce very little low end and low midrange. Go to a Guitar Center and play one of those cheap, thin bodied hybrid electric/acoustics. That will give you the idea.

Get a reputable plan and stick to it. A first guitar is not the place to get all innovative. I know from experience.

Jim McCarthy
Old 10-19-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guitars View Post
At the flea market I have found huge dovetail or re-saw saws. Also, many turn of the century tools that have "gone away" because of power tools. I would get the LMI and Stew Mac catalogs. Look at current methods and invent backwards.
No power tools is ambitious and unique. The rumor is Wayne Henderson (Claptons guitar book) uses a Pocket knife for much of the build.
Make sure you work by oil lamps!
Yeah I just don't want to make much noise while I'm making the guitar. I have been studying up alot on different building possibilities. Mostly looking for techniques to efficiently build with hands tools.
But, unfortunately, I don't have oil lamps.

Quote:
When you say you want to make the sides 1/2 the length, maybe you mean 1/2 the depth.

Halve the length and you'll end up with a tiny guitar that will sound like a toy.

Halve the depth and you'll end up with a guitar that will produce very little low end and low midrange. Go to a Guitar Center and play one of those cheap, thin bodied hybrid electric/acoustics. That will give you the idea.

Get a reputable plan and stick to it. A first guitar is not the place to get all innovative. I know from experience.

Jim McCarthy
Thanks, I've never been good with width, depth, and height. It's also been quite a while since I've done woodwork.
I appreciate the feedback, guys. Gonna get started as soon as I get the wood.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair