The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-09-2010, 12:00 PM

Default Any aspiring guitar builders in Northern California (bay area)?

Hi All,

I live in Northern California (Bay Area) and I'm aspiring to build my first kit guitar. Will probably build the StewMac dread or a Blues Creek dread Kit.

I'm wondering if there are any other aspiring guitar builders in the area that would like to build a guitar.

I'm thinking we could learn from and help each other along the way and maybe we could split the costs on some of the tools and share those and maybe a workspace as well. I do have a good general set of tools and some (but not a lot of space). I will need to pickup some of the more specific guitar making tools.

If you're interested, send me a PM and let's talk more.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:40 PM

I just made that offer to a friend last night here in East Texas. I had given his son a guitar a while back and know that he wanted to learn to build one. In the KitGuitarsForum, a guy is selling some Martin "Seconds" cheaply, so I told my friend to contact him and if he and his son wanted to build 1 or 2 along with what I build, they were also welcome to use my tools and molds, etc. It will help me learn more as well as give them a cheap project and hopefully turn out good sounding guitars.
I hope you get some takers. I bet it would be fun.
My offer is open to anyone else in this part of East Texas as well. Let me know.
Good luck Longdrive.

Bob
Old 09-26-2010, 06:23 PM

Hi - I live in Oakland and could be interested. I have a small garage that can be used for messy work. Have done some entry level repair but never built, although I am thinking about it. shall we speak?
Old 10-10-2010, 06:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

If you have not discovered NCAL (Northern California Association of Luthiers), It's time you did. Very few areas in the world (none?) have a group like this, and it is just what the doctor ordered for your position. Natalie Swango at LMII.com is the current keeper of the records and email list for meeting dates and places, give her a buzz.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:08 PM

Looks like The Buddy System is still alive and kicking. I wish you luck. I took up a friend's offer a couple of months ago and even though I haven't done more than get the top to the desired thickness I'm loving every minute of it. Probably the hardest part has been getting our schedules to jive though; we're both terribly busy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair