The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-09-2008, 02:19 PM

Default Vocal Harmony...

Hi, is anyone on this board knowledgeable about writing vocal harmony? I'm interested in creating some vocal harmony for a few blues pieces. At the mo there's only the original melodic line, how can I best go about writing the harmony?

Thanks!

gnomebottom
Old 07-09-2008, 03:50 PM

Trial and error and emulating others' work is my approach to most musical stuff. If you plan to do much arranging, I would purchase a cheap all-in-one
(100+ sounds, rythms, etc) keyboard. Playing the parts with a vocal patch makes the arrangements come easier.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:36 PM

Take note of the chord progression, and you might try recording the melody first and either singing or playing various harmony possibilities over it as you play it back. Some people can, when they hear a melody and the chord progression, intuit a harmony; others (who tend not to be singers) need to take the actual chords and deconstruct them. I like the more intuitive approach, as it involves the line as a whole with overlying, underlying or overlapping "texture," not as a series of triads or partial chords. The tricky part for many intuitive harmonizers, though, is that they can only harmonize in real time, with the melody playing to guide them, and cannot memorize what they've "written" on the fly. (Which is probably why they tend to avoid singing in choirs where knowing one's part and being consistent is non-negotiable). I prefer to sing the harmony I'm writing, and then play it on guitar or piano. I can then isolate it as a separate line to memorize, and if I have trouble doing that right away I can notate it (or sing it into a recorder). Consistency and memorization do take time, though.

One thing that will make writing future harmonies easier is to sing along with the car radio, and harmonize with the songs. Especially if you live in an area with terrible traffic congestion!

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the advice!
Old 07-10-2008, 05:19 PM

i record until i do something i like....sometimes ive got it on my head already and other times i just sing till i get it
Old 07-10-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
One thing that will make writing future harmonies easier is to sing along with the car radio, and harmonize with the songs. Especially if you live in an area with terrible traffic congestion!
...and if you do so with the windows down, there soon will be less traffic around you!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 07-11-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomebottom View Post
Hi, is anyone on this board knowledgeable about writing vocal harmony? I'm interested in creating some vocal harmony for a few blues pieces. At the mo there's only the original melodic line, how can I best go about writing the harmony?

Thanks!

gnomebottom
Wow, there is such a thing as writing vocal harmonies!! I can't read music and don't know much music theory, so that's why I wouldn't know. I just sing my harmonies by ear and practice until I think I have them where they sound good with the main vocal part.

2018 Taylor 412CE
2010 Blueridge BR-163A - Adi/EIR/K&K
Epiphone EF500-M
Old 07-11-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
...and if you do so with the windows down, there soon will be less traffic around you!
Do I sound THAT bad?

Seriously, I think if you do so with the windows up will make other drivers keep their distance....they'll think you're talking to yourself! You can enhance this effect by drumming on the steering wheel.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:34 PM
I know that one

Please don't interupt me when I'm talking to myself.

Seriously gnome - I typically record myself singing the harmonies I hear on top of the melody and write them out from the recording.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
Do I sound THAT bad?
No, but when one only hears the harmony, it can sound bad! I have to make sure no one is home when I lay down harmony tracks, because everyone that hears me singing them cringes and laughs. Of course they can't hear the rest of the music because that is on the headphones, so the single harmony part they hear me singing sounds like a sick and terrible tune! When finally mixed together, they are amazed at how good it sounds!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell