The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-11-2019, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Default NGD (upon approval) Fender Masterbuilt '52 Telecaster heavy relic

NGD?!? Fender Masterbuilt 52 Telecaster Heavy Relic

I had the good fortune of finding a unique, exceptional Fender Custom Shop 52 Telecaster Heavy Relic that is amazing! This may very well be the single best Telecaster I've ever played. I have the good fortune to check it out for final approval.The Fender Masterbuilder is Dale Wilson from the Fender Custom shop.

Handwound Josefina Twisted Tele Neck PU
Handwound Josefina Broadcaster Bridge PU
7.25" to 9.5" Compound Radius
6105 Frets
Heavy Relic
Bigsby Tremolo (No Shim since it was master built with all the right angles
7.5lbs with the Bigsby is incredible!!

It plays like a dream and has a resonance and sustain that makes it feel alive when I am fretting notes. Not sure I can afford such a creation, but I am also not sure I can afford to pass it up. Feeling the need to make this one happen no matter what. This is the most authentic-looking Heavy Relic'ing that looks authentic. It feels, looks and sounds like it has been played since 1952!
What do you think? Should I seal the deal ...even if it means stretching myself a bit? I can't remember a more credible, organic, spanky, firey soulful tele.

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 09-11-2019 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:11 AM

You'll never forgive yourself it you don't get it. Seriously.

Oh, and it sounds fantastic
Old 09-11-2019, 11:01 AM

At the risk of enabling pathology, I'd say get it if it moves you more than most in your experience. You get only 1 lifetime to enjoy, there will be enough pain as it is, so take the few pleasures where/when you can.

When I consider buying/selling, I ask myself whether I'd be more content with the money, or the item. I was thinking of selling an amp I bought new for $200 that I'd get $100 for. I asked myself, would I rather have the amp to play around with, or the $100? The amp won.

While my example is affected by the dollar amount (easier to make the decision with low dollar amounts), the general strategy applies to larger purchases, for me. If the purchase pleasure will be offset by genuine financial stress, then consider passing, but if it's just a concern for something so expensive, or it might get in the way of doing something else with the money that will give less enjoyment/utility (leaving family needs out of it), then realize you can always sell it for decent money if you tire of it.

Oh, and be sure to make your money on the way in, meaning, pay as little as possible.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
At the risk of enabling pathology, I'd say get it if it moves you more than most in your experience. You get only 1 lifetime to enjoy, there will be enough pain as it is, so take the few pleasures where/when you can.

When I consider buying/selling, I ask myself whether I'd be more content with the money, or the item. I was thinking of selling an amp I bought new for $200 that I'd get $100 for. I asked myself, would I rather have the amp to play around with, or the $100? The amp won.

While my example is affected by the dollar amount (easier to make the decision with low dollar amounts), the general strategy applies to larger purchases, for me. If the purchase pleasure will be offset by genuine financial stress, then consider passing, but if it's just a concern for something so expensive, or it might get in the way of doing something else with the money that will give less enjoyment/utility (leaving family needs out of it), then realize you can always sell it for decent money if you tire of it.

Oh, and be sure to make your money on the way in, meaning, pay as little as possible.

You make an excellent point and that is highly valid. I just got the price ...and I am choking on the $$$. So as much as I love this, it may not happen. Thought I might do better.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 09-11-2019, 05:13 PM

Classic looking guitar and sounds fantastic.

I've got the same classic Telecaster combination less the relicing (blonde with a maple board, black guard and a Bigsby) but with different pickups and an alder body. (Making it significantly heavier).

Either way, hard to go past!
Old 09-11-2019, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Face b stankin' real good brah... sho looks & sounds funky good!! Groby, you bin getin' 'lectracfy'd lately, wat up brohamian? ...due for a ring convo.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Sounds outstanding the Carr is nice too. Now if wasn't so beat up it would be perfect
Just kiddin' go for it

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-11-2019, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Just added some pics. Fun with Photography. What a cool subject to photograph.

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 09-13-2019, 03:35 PM

Beautiful! Wow. As far as whether you should get it ... you gotta pay the bills first. Is it in the $5k range?
Old 09-13-2019, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Beautiful! Wow. As far as whether you should get it ... you gotta pay the bills first. Is it in the $5k range?
Ultimately too rich for my blood. Boy was it ever special. Best tele I’ve ever played. Pushing $7k is not in my tax bracket
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 09-13-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Ultimately too rich for my blood. Boy was it ever special. Best tele I’ve ever played. Pushing $7k is not in my tax bracket
Yea, that's a lot of money to spend on a tele. Shame that it's the best you've ever played but probably a wise decision to move on. Is there anything in a more affordable price range that interests you?
Old 09-13-2019, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Yea, that's a lot of money to spend on a tele. Shame that it's the best you've ever played but probably a wise decision to move on. Is there anything in a more affordable price range that interests you?
Nothing right now, but to be honest I wasn't really looking. (Which is usually when the 'special ones come along' and wind up at home) laughs

I am however more clear that I favor a great Fender Custom Shop '52. I prefer the neck profile over the Nocaster even though they are similar.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 09-14-2019, 12:04 AM

Nice git, the only things I don't particularly like is the back of the neck and the pickguard...looks overdone.

OTOH a real one would be going for 10x
Old 09-14-2019, 01:07 AM

I own a custom shop Tele, and it's a great one, but I got it for a substantial discount, but I can say without a doubt, there are builders that will build a Tele like what you want for easily half that price. The custom shop prices are just getting out of hand.

Check this deal out, and don't let the price fool you, this guitar is built to totally bring the vintage Tele experience...

https://www.hahnguitars.com/model-c

I have played MANY custom shop Teles and this Hahn gives up NOTHING to the custom shops. From the finish, to the pickups, to the shaping of the neck, this is a serious machine!
Old 09-14-2019, 12:18 PM

Wow! What an amazing sounding guitar and really nice playing....someday...oh yes, someday..lol
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars