The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-20-2019, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

yeah, same one I was looking at. This is pretty old, so who knows. His newer videos show a small setup with his midi keyboards, some foam treatment, etc, just looks like his music room to me. Of course a lot of his videos also are simulated, as he's playing beside a castle, in a field, in the rain :-) and so on, but this one seems to be a real performance.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

As far as reverb plugins go, I prefer convolution reverbs over algorithmic reverbs.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Right off the bat I can tell you that's an extraordinarily good reverb. Theres's movement on the tails so my guess is some kind of Lexicon. PCM 81, PCM 91 or even a 480L. Just a guess though. It's very, very difficult to get that kind of feeling with most (if not all) plug-in reverbs.

The second thing is they've rolled off all the low-end response of the verb and boosted the high's. I've always had good luck getting reverbs to sit using eq especially with solo instruments. As a discussion several months backs I've had more luck with creating that kind of depth with a plug-in called Echo Boy.

Finally that's not what I would consider a hint of reverb There appears to be a good deal of pre-delay and I'm guessing' upwards 3 seconds of delay.
I want to figure out how to "roll off" the reverb from the bass and mids. Some plug ons have more controls than others which makes it a bit frustrating.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I want to figure out how to "roll off" the reverb from the bass and mids. Some plug ons have more controls than others which makes it a bit frustrating.
Some reverb plugins have their own eq controls.

For ones that don't, simply use the reverb plugin in an AUX stereo track and place a separate stereo eq plugin in front of the reverb plugin in that stereo AUX track (or place it after the reverb plugin in the stereo AUX track).

Send the original guitar tracks through the AUX and fold back into the master bus. Mix to taste. Easy peasy.

Last edited by sdelsolray; 04-20-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Some reverb plugins have their own eq controls.

For ones that don't, simply use the reverb plugin in an AUX stereo track and place a separate stereo eq plugin in front of the reverb plugin in that stereo AUX track (or place it after the reverb plugin in the stereo AUX track).

Send the original guitar tracks through the AUX and fold back into the master bus. Mix to taste. Easy peasy.
I have no clue what you mean. I use Rx 7 Elements, Audacity and Audition to do post eq. Plugin effects are applied to the track directly. I don't use multi track daws and wouldn't know where to begin, but thanks.

My SoundCloud page

Old 04-20-2019, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have no clue what you mean. I use Rx 7 Elements, Audacity and Audition to do post eq. Plugin effects are applied to the track directly. I don't use multi track daws and wouldn't know where to begin, but thanks.
You can do what people are suggesting in Audition. Just switch to a MultiTrack session, and there is a "send" button in the upper left corner of the track area. For things like reverb, delay and others, you can "send" the signal to a "bus" (just another channel, really), where you place the reverb. There are lots of ways to handle effects, but this approach is a technique worth figuring out. You can do all kinds of things on a bus before and after a reverb (for example) that you can't do if you apply it directly to a track. For example, EQ before and/or after the reverb. Or a delay before the reverb. I often place a "declick" plugin in the reverb bus and set it to be quite aggressive. If I did that the way you're set up, it would have an impact on the track, but by placing it on a bus, the direct sound is untouched, but I keep clicks and any other noises from pinging the reverb and making them stand out even worse.

I'm sure there are lots of tutorials on using multi-track and sends in audition, I'd poke around. I haven't uses Audition for mixing in ages, so I'm not up on exactly how to do it, but it looks pretty straightforward with a quick look.

BTW, I notice that Audition has a convolution reverb built-in, that can load impulses from any of the free libraries.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
You can do what people are suggesting in Audition. Just switch to a MultiTrack session, and there is a "send" button in the upper left corner of the track area. For things like reverb, delay and others, you can "send" the signal to a "bus" (just another channel, really), where you place the reverb. There are lots of ways to handle effects, but this approach is a technique worth figuring out. You can do all kinds of things on a bus before and after a reverb (for example) that you can't do if you apply it directly to a track. For example, EQ before and/or after the reverb. Or a delay before the reverb. I often place a "declick" plugin in the reverb bus and set it to be quite aggressive. If I did that the way you're set up, it would have an impact on the track, but by placing it on a bus, the direct sound is untouched, but I keep clicks and any other noises from pinging the reverb and making them stand out even worse.

I'm sure there are lots of tutorials on using multi-track and sends in audition, I'd poke around. I haven't uses Audition for mixing in ages, so I'm not up on exactly how to do it, but it looks pretty straightforward with a quick look.

BTW, I notice that Audition has a convolution reverb built-in, that can load impulses from any of the free libraries.
I think I might poke my eye out...

For now I'll use the keep it simple method of recording and eq'ing, but I'll read up on this, thanks.

My SoundCloud page

Old 04-21-2019, 04:55 AM

Quote:

For now I'll use the keep it simple method of recording and eq'ing, but I'll read up on this, thanks.
TBman, it's not that hard. I HIGHLY recommend taking the time to learn how to put a Reverb plug on an Aux Track and blend 100% wet to taste.

IMNSHO of course.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Here is the rub in order to include some "Next step" mixing in your productions. You are going to have to take some basic next steps. And as people have mentioned these next steps, only appear complex, but really aren't

First what I an others have been suggesting is generically called a
"parallel reverb" effect ... basically means setting the reverb up on a separate
track/channel from the actual audio track with the instrument (like your guitar track) ...Different Daws have different names (Aux track , Bus track etc.) but they all do the same thing

I do not use Audacity or Audition BUT if as per Doug you can set up a send to another track with the reverb on it, then you can set up an EQ as well and roll of the lows and perhaps slightly dip the mids if you wish

I believe the only way to do it in Audacity, is to duplicate the audio track put the plug ins on that duplicate track , then lower the dup tracks level to get the amount of effect you want blended with the unprocessed original track going to the main outs.

Barry you appear to be very interested in moving forward in both your recording and mixing, which is really and admirable trait and goal.
If I were in your shoes , I would seriously consider moving on to a more full feature DAW. Because in the long run it will in fact make where you appear to want to journey less complicated. Just something to consider .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 04-21-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:

Here's a youtube video that takes a step by step approach for using a bus in Audition. For time based effects like reverb and delay bus sends are the way to go. In my experience eq and compression work best inserted right onto the recorded track for solo guitar stuff, unless you're doing parallel processing. That's a whole other learning curve. Anyway, worth checking this out.

Hope it helps.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Keep in mind the reverb needs to suit the music it is applied to. For this dense, lengthy reverb to work well you need more or less this type
and tempo of music, likely this type of tuning and even likely this type of basic guitar tone that was there prior to adding reverb. In other
words YMMV considerably with the exact same reverb.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-21-2019, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What Doug described has nothing to do with changing how you record. He's describing how to process your track AFTER recording. You'd be doing yourself a favor by jumping all over the advice he gave you.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 04-21-2019, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
What Doug described has nothing to do with changing how you record. He's describing how to process your track AFTER recording. You'd be doing yourself a favor by jumping all over the advice he gave you.
I'll look into some multi track DAWs, thanks. The Audition I have is 1.5, lol. A little on the older side. I also have Audacity, but I'd like to see what else is out there that is newer as a freebie until I know what I'm doing, at least for the basics.

I added Old Skool reverb to the Wake cover in my signature. It sounds pretty decent on my speakers. I'd like to get a little more on the trebles. I'll keep at it.

My SoundCloud page

Last edited by TBman; 04-21-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'll look into some multi track DAWs, thanks. The Audition I have is 1.5, lol. A little on the older side. I also have Audacity, but I'd like to see what else is out there that is newer as a freebie until I know what I'm doing, at least for the basics.
I'm not sure what "multi track DAWS" have to do with it. Aux tracks aren't a new thing. I'd be very surprised if you can't create an aux track in your DAW.

The workflow being suggested is very simple once you do it a time or two. You create an aux track and route your guitar track to the aux track. Then you put the reverb on the aux track, set it to 100 wet, then use the aux fader to adjust the amount of reverb you want.

Doing it that way will be a significant improvement to what you're doing now. You'll be able to maintain the attack/transients of original track and still give the piece some big hall distance with reverb on the aux track without losing all the focus and winding up with either a muddiness or a smaller feel than you wanted.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 04-21-2019, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I'm not sure what "multi track DAWS" have to do with it. Aux tracks aren't a new thing. I'd be very surprised if you can't create an aux track in your DAW.
The old Audition Barry seems to have isn't really a "DAW". it's a file editor, and as best I recall, had none of this. It was a pure, simple destructive audio file editor where you do everything directly on the single track it supports. Quite useful for what it did. It's probably time to upgrade :-) Even Reaper would be a big step up. I assume Audacity supports sends and busses as well, but I've never used it.

I was just making a video demo to show Barry how to set this up, but now that I know he's got an ancient version, it's less useful. But I'll post it shortly, in case it clarifies what everyone is talking about. The issue I always see with online demos is that they're too complicated and don't focus on solo guitar like Barry is doing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD